One Simply Sweet Saw

Review by blockhead posted 1457 days ago 7069 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One Simply Sweet Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this saw about 6 months ago and have been very happy with its performance. I did lots of research and read many reviews on many different saws and also received some great feedback from other LJ’s. I decided that for the money and my intended usage, this offered the most bang for the buck. I have used and own several different Hitachi tools and they have always performed very well for me.

In some of the reviews I read, it was said that the sub fence was either bent or broken, probably due to lack of protective packing, so I half suspected that when I opened mine that would be the case. After unpacking, I noticed that indeed, the sub fence was slightly bent. The packing material consisted of two pieces of medium sized, triangular shaped cardboard. This made no matter to me because I remove the fence anyway and build my own sacrificial fence. The supplied aluminum fence is 5-1/8” tall which allows crown molding to be cut vertically.

After installing the 12” DeWalt Ultra Fine Finish saw blade I purchased with the saw and getting everything squared up with the new fence, I made a few test cuts. I was surprised at the torque this saw has compared to the one I replaced. The 15 amp motor delivers plenty of power via a belt that gives smooth, confident cuts and the electric brake stops the blade fairly quickly. The saw does come with a 32 tooth TCT carbide blade which I have not used, but several reviews said it worked very well for rough framing.

The dual bevel is smooth and accurate and features a micro adjustment knob that works well even when caked in sawdust. The dual bevel cut range is 0-48 degrees left and right and the compound range is 0-45 left and right. The saw allows a maximum miter cut of 52 degrees to the left and right sides with positive stops at 0, 15, 22.5, 31.6 and 45 degrees. At 0 degrees, the saw has an 8” cutting capacity. The adjustable laser was dead on out of the box without needing any adjustment.

The saw comes with a 5 year professional warranty which requires you to take it to an authorized service center for repairs. You can click here to see if you have one close to you if you are interested in this saw. I hope, with the stout, rigid frame, overall quality, fit and finish of this saw I will not need it. I expect to get many years of service from this saw.

As with most miter saws, the dust collection is not great, but it is definitely much better than what I have seen with others. While it spits sawdust to the sides, the dust bag does fill up quickly. It does a much better job of dust collection than my old Delta, Kobalt and Bosch that I have at work.

I paid $299 for mine 6 months ago, but now they are selling for $284 at the blue box store. At $299, I consider it a great buy in my opinion and have no regrets whatsoever with this purchase.

Edit 5/14: It’s been about 4 1/2 years now with this saw. The only thing I’ve had to do so far is replace the switch. This has been a very dependable saw and worth every penny and then some of the original price. I did a PM on it last week and even the belt still looks new. Lowes has them for $219 right now (a steal IMO) and I would definitely purchase another one tomorrow if this one died today.

-- Brad, Oregon- The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

View patron's profile

patron

12947 posts in 1927 days

good review ,
i always look to the dewalt ,
but this may just be the ticket .

thanks .

View wannabe's profile

wannabe

I had this saw. Sold it because I bought a slider (C10FSH, which is awesome). This saw was really good when I had it. It also had a bent subfence. Called Hitachi and they sent a replacement to me right away. The fence itself is really high so you can cut crown standing up. Once I adjusted the laser, it was dead on accurate until I sold it. It cut like a dream and was really powerful. Went through 4 X 4 pressure treated like butter. I replaced the stock with a 90 tooth Hitachi, which made it even better. Really smooth. I was thinking about keeping it for 4 X 4 posts but wanted some money back. Bought it at the Big Blue store when they had 15% off power tool sale (which seems to happen often enough). Five year warranty also helped.

-- There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers ~ Marshall Loeb

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thank´s for the reweiw
I just wish we could buy those things so cheap here in Denmark :-(
crazy tax system we have and the sellers set the price for the prof. market :-(

Dennis

View degoose's profile

degoose

6958 posts in 1940 days

Good review but I agree with Dennis… things are a little bit dearer over here or is it down here…

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Thank you for a very well written review.

I just wish Hitachi would get away from the ugly athletic shoe look.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Good review.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

Good review. I read a lot of good things about the Hitachi when I was looking for a sliding miter saw about six months ago. Also read a lot of good things about the Makita and Bosch. None of the local stores had the Hitachi for me to look at when I needed to make a purchase, they did have the Makita and Bosch. The local Menards had a sale on Bosch saws so I bought the 4410L. I’ve been very happy with the saw but find I don’t use the laser sighting line on it so would not buy that feature in the future, it doesn’t come on till the blade is spinning (poor time to adjust board position).

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

Thank you LJ’s.

Rich- Yes, the look is quite different, but I don’t mind it so much.

Tom- I too have the 4410L at work and I absolutely love it. Apart from the atrocious dust collection and the arbor mounted laser as you mentioned, it’s almost flawless. I was looking at the Bosch for my home shop but I needed the extra room more than the sliding action. The cuts are every bit as accurate with the Hitachi as they are the Bosch, plus the laser is operated with a switch at the top of the saw. I use the laser on the Hitachi, but not the Bosch.

View glassyeyes's profile

glassyeyes

136 posts in 1915 days

I’ve had the saw a long time and have no problems at all with it. It was in perfect condition when I got it; no problems with the fence. Like most people, I guess, I upgraded the blade (to a Freud, that works very well). I have to “fudge” the laser line a little.

And isn’t that a dust DISPERSAL system? I have to use a wide-mouthed funnel adapter off the Delta dust-monster to capture any appreciable fraction.

-- Now, where did I put those bandaids?

View stefang's profile

stefang

12419 posts in 1920 days

Great review Brad. I’m glad it’s working well for you. I read in FWW that Bosch has just introduced a new miter saw that works like a slider, but doesn’t need more space than a a regular miter saw. I wish I had known about that one before bought my Bosch SmS.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

blockhead

glassyeyes- “Dust dispersal system” LOL It does do a good job of that too, but I guess compared to the Bosch at work, it’s almost like a vacuum.

Mike- I’ve heard about that Bosch but haven’t read anything on it yet. I’m assuming it will be similar to the Makita or Festool sliders. I would guess it would be a well made durable saw given its from Bosch.

View AKWoody's profile

AKWoody

My local Costco has this saw in stock for 438.00. I am thinking of picking one up, other saws of this quality are selling for at least a hundred more.

Edit: Its the sliding version that Costco Carries

111999 posts in 2163 days

Good review Brad

blockhead

AKWoody- I think if you got the 12” slider version of this saw, you would be able cut just about anything you wanted to.

deke- Mine too has the laser and I really like how easy it is to adjust it if need be. Thanks for the advice on the thin kerf blade as well. I will check my DeWalt blade on some 4x’s to see if I have the same problem. It’s good to hear this has been a good saw for you for so long.

Jim- Thanks!

View Countrybay's profile

Countrybay

Good review, I’ve had this saw going on three years. It’s as accurate as you set it up to be, the new 96 tooth CMT blade I threw on mine changed the game, I use it twice as much now…vs the old table saw. I upgraded from a single bevel 10” Dewalt direct drive….Gotta slowly phase out the yellow look in my shop.