|Review by Hillsboro||posted 07-14-2010 03:50 AM||4591 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
- Porter-Cable 2-1/4 HP (Maximum Motor HP) Multi-Base Router Kit
- Brand: Porter-Cable | Category: Routers
It was almost like Christmas day this afternoon: my new PC 895PK arrived care of our friends at UPS. I immediately opened the box, then the case, and then the router and plunge base from the plastic bags.
Oh my! The router is a delight to look at, almost to the point where you might not want to get it dirty. Notice I said “almost.” The motor housing is very well machined and moves through the fixed base like butter. The base castings are flawless (something missing from the other routers I considered).
1. I was surprised that the base plates were simple clear plastic and, in my humble opinion, a bit flimsy. Added to that the plate on the fixed base was not set up to receive templates while the plunge base was (they are not interchangeable). That means that in order to cut drawer dovetails on a project in progress I had to run out to the local Woodcraft and buy a new base plate. Would it be so hard to include a robust base plate? Given the price that Porter Cable charges I think that there is sufficient margin to do so.
2. The soft start is a delight. No more fear of the router torquing out your hands.
3. Variable speed. Burned wood? Not any more.
Bottom line: I need to learn more about what this wonderful tool can do for me and my projects. I suspect it will become a key element is every project for many, many years.
P.S. The only reason I gave this router 4 stars instead of 5 is that I do not have enough experience with it yet. I rather expect that will change in the very near future as I finish my current project.