Porter Cable 895PK - First Impressions

Review by Hillsboro posted 07-14-2010 03:50 AM 3743 views 2 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter Cable 895PK - First Impressions No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It was almost like Christmas day this afternoon: my new PC 895PK arrived care of our friends at UPS. I immediately opened the box, then the case, and then the router and plunge base from the plastic bags.

Oh my! The router is a delight to look at, almost to the point where you might not want to get it dirty. Notice I said “almost.” The motor housing is very well machined and moves through the fixed base like butter. The base castings are flawless (something missing from the other routers I considered).

Other observations:

1. I was surprised that the base plates were simple clear plastic and, in my humble opinion, a bit flimsy. Added to that the plate on the fixed base was not set up to receive templates while the plunge base was (they are not interchangeable). That means that in order to cut drawer dovetails on a project in progress I had to run out to the local Woodcraft and buy a new base plate. Would it be so hard to include a robust base plate? Given the price that Porter Cable charges I think that there is sufficient margin to do so.

2. The soft start is a delight. No more fear of the router torquing out your hands.

3. Variable speed. Burned wood? Not any more.

Bottom line: I need to learn more about what this wonderful tool can do for me and my projects. I suspect it will become a key element is every project for many, many years.

Phil Stevens

P.S. The only reason I gave this router 4 stars instead of 5 is that I do not have enough experience with it yet. I rather expect that will change in the very near future as I finish my current project.

View Hillsboro's profile

Hillsboro

View Hillsboro's profile

Hillsboro

#1 posted 07-14-2010 03:52 AM

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#2 posted 07-14-2010 04:41 AM

Gongarat on new purchase.
Router is the most versatile and powerful toll in the shop.
There’s nothing you can’t do with a router. you can pickup few tips here….

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#3 posted 07-14-2010 06:20 AM

I have only one of the 890 PC’s in the shop and it stays in the horizontal table. I don’t have the plunge base. It seems to do the job, and I like how I can adjust the height from above the table. I have not looked at the base plate, as it went into the table as soon a I got it, as I have 5 690’s and the Speedmatic plunge as well. Good luck with it, and rember to check the brushes once and a while. And blow it out often.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 07-14-2010 05:19 PM

I always associate certain tools with certain brand names. When I think of routers, the brand that always comes to mind is Porter-Cable. They seem to set the standard and I have never been disappointed in my P-C 890.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#5 posted 07-15-2010 12:09 AM

I have an earlier version of this router..I give it 5 stars..it’s one quiet router..

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View tbreland's profile

tbreland

60 posts in 1916 days

#6 posted 07-15-2010 12:59 AM

I have the one he reviewed, if anyone wants to trade. My experiences were not as sweet.

-- Come down off the cross, we can use the wood. -Tom Waits

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5142 posts in 1974 days

#7 posted 07-15-2010 02:31 AM

I also have the 890 combo and have had it for about 3 years now. I have been extremely satisfied with it and it does get a lot of use with the plunge base.

View Scott Wilson's profile

Scott Wilson

#8 posted 07-15-2010 03:02 AM

Thanks Hillsboro. I have had this set for about 6 months. While I do agree with your #1 I have been very happy with it overall.

-- Scott Wilson - Bear with me, I'm learning!

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2431 days

#9 posted 07-18-2010 02:26 AM

One thing to watch. When you’re push the pin-lock in to remove bits, if it feels like you may be putting too much pressure on it with the wrench…. you probably are. Use another wrench instead of the pin. I snapped the pin of my router within the first week I had it. Has worked okay other than that. Good luck.