Nice budget blade

Review by Countrybay posted 1475 days ago 3935 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice budget blade Nice budget blade Nice budget blade Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Forrest temptation will always be there….. When you tell your wife you need a new blade, she automatically thinks “15 bucks”, little does the boss know you’ll be cleaning out her wallet…you know your’s is empty to begin with, or else she didn’t even need to know. Well I mustered up some Lowes gift cards and a little cash and bought a couple of their CMT ITK plus blades. The CMT website does not mention the ITK Plus blades so I assume the info off the ITK seris is the same. The non-orange Lowes version is an attractive gray, which is a PTFE coating (Polytetrafluoro Ethylene) non-stick. I guess they do that in case the blade has a little run out. The carbide tips are heavy and the bevel is nasty, 40 degrees, normal 15 degree hook. The blade perfomes well new, only time will tell. Like a kid with a new toy, had to crosscut a little of this and a little of that. The picture of the Walnut shows 0 tear out and a few hairs on the edge, overall the cleanest cut that my Hitachi has ever made. I am satisfied with the 70 dollar version for now…I’ll be putting this blade to the test remodeling the kitchen.

View Countrybay's profile

Countrybay

View Robb's profile

Robb

Thanks for the review; I’ll keep these blades in mind the next time I need one. If you’ve never seen it, there’s a site called tooliday.com, which is a subsidiary of toolking.com. From time to time, you can get 12” DeWalt blades on there for around $35 including shipping. I’ve had pretty good luck with those so far on my saw.

-- Robb

Thx for the review. Found it interesting and helpful. I’m with you, as I have 7 blades for my table saw and chop saw. I don’t use my chop saw for finish cuts unlike some. It was just the way I was taught not that it can’t be done. I have told my self no matter what the Forrest Wood-worker 2 is the next one. So I uderstand where your coming from. Have fun!!!!

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

My favorite blade is the 40 tooth CMT General (10”). It cuts as clean as the one you bought, but does it with only 40 teeth.

I know, it defies all logic and preconceived ideas on how many teeth a blade needs for a furniture-grade cut.

The CMT General is the primary blade that I keep on my Hitachi 10” miter saw.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View Swede's profile

Swede

I hope you have good luck but with a 40 degree bevel your edge may not last long.
I have sharpened a lot of carbide tipped saw blades ranging from 5, 10, 15 & 20 degrees 10 & 15 being the norm.
The more the bevel the weaker the tip the more likely it will break.

I am not criticizing your choice only passing on information.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View TCCcabinetmaker's profile

TCCcabinetmaker

I’ve done 2 sets of kitchen cabinets, a grand set of book cases, and am working on my 3rd cabinet job on one of these blades. It’s still very close to as sharp as when I bought it, I use thick ply woods, one of the kitchens was hickory, and I’m working with salvaged heart pine, and I’ve hit at least a few pieces of metal with it.

I have to say that it’s a pretty decent blade for the money. I like the thinner kerfed blades, to begin with though. Like the package says, less material waste, AND they reduce the friction on the blade by having less material, which also reduces the wear on the blades. I got the CMT 10080 because Lowes was no longer carrying the Avanti silver blades, which I also love… I have hit quite a bit of metal, and even intentionally cut stainless without harming the carbides on those…

-- The mark of a good carpenter is not how few mistakes he makes, but rather how well he fixes them.

Nice update, as I mentioned 520 days ago I finally took the plunge last yr and got a Forrest WII blade. I have to say I love it. I used the rockler but one item get the next item 1/2 off coupon. I got the Incra 1000 miter gauge 1/2 which was cool. Thx for the update. I think Ill get this blade for my chop saw this weekend.