It is more than a Sander, it grinds VERY well

Review by GBrag posted 07-09-2010 07:03 PM 3754 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It is more than a Sander, it grinds VERY well It is more than a Sander, it grinds VERY well It is more than a Sander, it grinds VERY well Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this model for more than 6 years. AND I have bought one for each of my grown sons as gifts. It is incredibly versatile. If fact I use mine for grinding MORE than sanding. My (now 87 year old) dad made me a gift of this way back when then supplied me with zirconium belts made by another more professional vendor. He has a sharpening service and works a few hours a week doing sharpening for hardware stores in his area. He has an older Delta version, which is built a bit better quality wise.

Since I have gotten this unit, I rarely use my Craftsman grinder. The flat surface and openness around the surface makes it more usable than the grinding wheels much of the time. I sharpen most of my tools, garden tools, cutters, knives and mower blades with it. I also do plastic and other materials. The trick here is to buy BETTER belts than those you can get at Harbor Freight. The HF ones do not hold up as well to metals, and, I found, that many of them have a noticeable thump at the seam. The better belts last even longer. I save my stash of HF belts for less precise usage and when I have to take off more material (I have a bunch of 80 grits). The zirconium ones my dad gave me are much much better. They are more expensive, but in the long run better, and more versatile since you can grind metal with them.

View Bearpie's profile

Bearpie

#1 posted 07-09-2010 11:36 PM

looks like you inserted the wrong picture or the wrong topic?

Erwin, Jacksonville, FL

-- Erwin, Jacksonville, FL

#2 posted 07-10-2010 12:02 AM

Not really Erwin. They forced me to use a picture and I had none regarding the unit’s use as a grinder. SO, I put up a shot of some woodwork I had done … and yes, I used the unit as a sander for this project.

Gene, Longmont Colorado

View jim C's profile

jim C

#3 posted 07-10-2010 05:48 AM

weird that you used pics that don’t relate

View woody57's profile

The furnitures are beautiful

#6 posted 07-10-2010 05:58 PM

Thanks Bert

#7 posted 07-10-2010 10:54 PM

If you want to actually see the Sander and a good review.

G , you could have provided a link to the machine that would let us know what it looks like and the spec’s and the price. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-2485.html Oh , Look , it’s on sale right now for $36.99 : )

I also use my Delta model for sharpening my mulching lawn mower blades…it gets around all of those curves very nicely : ) You talked a lot about different belts , but didn’t mention any particular brand(s) that you like better than HF stock. Want to share that info ?
Nice cabinets…you should post them in the projects section : ) Welcome to LJ’s…you’ll really like it here !!