JET 6-inch riser kit for 14 inch bandsaw

Review by MOJOE posted 1483 days ago 3900 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JET 6-inch riser kit for 14 inch bandsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I installed this kit today on my JWBS-14DX. It was very straightforward and took about 30 minutes by myself. I must confess that I watched a quick vid on youtube, and ditched the instructions. I did look through them afterwards that they seemed alright. Anyway, the fit and finish on this kit is pretty good, and everything went together smoothly. My only complaint…..the powder coating on the riser block was not quite as nice as the powder coating on the saw, but, that really isn’t that big of a deal. I also decided to put a 1/4”, 6tpi timberwolf blade on, and let me tell ya, this thing cuts circles (literally) around the factory JET blade. Once everything was installed and tightened down, I centered the blade on the wheels and fired up the saw. Everything ran flawlessly. No rubbing and no additional adjustments. All and All, I am very happy.

One quick word of caution…..when removing the original upper guide rod, be careful!! There is a small ball bearing and spring that keeps the assembly from dropping too fast. Thank goodness I swept my garage floor over the weekend, or they would have been lost forever.

Joe

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Thank you for the review.

I really don’t know much about riser blocks and I have silly question.

Once you add a riser block to a bandsaw, can you lower the upper guides down to within an inch or so of the table? My guess is no. Can anyone confirm?

Joe: Congratulations on your addition.

View bblooz's profile

bblooz

I thought the kit comes with a longer guide rod to reattach the upper guides to, right? My question is, will this kit fit other Taiwanese saws? My understanding is that most of the 14” saws on the market today (Delta, Jet, Powermatic, etc.) are all made by the same firm, just branded differently. I have a “Chicago Power Tools” saw from the 1980s, and when those piece of crap, pot-metal-cast trunions gave way, my local tool supplier was able to order a pair of Delta replacements.

-- Jack of all trades, trying to master a few....

MOJOE

Rich….yes you can lower the guides to the table after the block is in place, the kit comes with an extended guide rod.

bblooz…..not real sure, but as far as I know, you are right in thinking that most of the 14 inch saws are pretty much the same. I have read a few articles about the Grizzly riser block fitting a JET saw and a Ridgid saw, so maybe.

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

Thanks for the review. I put it on my christmas list.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View johnjoiner's profile

johnjoiner

I put this riser on my saw too.

One minor detail to note is that the contact surfaces at the top and bottom of the riser block are painted. (You can see it in the photo.) There shouldn’t be paint there and it’s easily chipped off with a knife before installation.

My one complaint is of the blade guard design. It doesn’t cover the whole blade when set for cutting of thinner stock.

-- johnjoiner

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Thanks for the review, it’s nice to know this procedure is not as big a nightmare as I have heard from other sources.

Having just purchased this kit ( it’s leaning against my saw right now) I would be very interested in that video you mentioned. Would you be willing to post a link to it?

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Sorry, double posted for some reason….

View Swede's profile

Swede

Here is a link on YouTube it is for a different brand of saw but it will give you the idea.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

MOJOE

Swede…thanks for the link…..the procedue really is pretty simple.

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

416 posts in 1954 days

I really need to get this riser block for my Delta 14” bandsaw..will this kit work for the Delta’s too?

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

Looks just like the Harbor Freight one.

MOJOE

RBWoodworker, not sure if it will fit the Delta saw. Many times looking through catalogs, I see items listed for Delta saws, and then listed separately for JET and Import saws. Must be some subtle differences.

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

416 posts in 1954 days

Perhaps your right..If you see the link for the riser block for a delta 14”..can you please PM me with it..I would appreciate it very much..

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

View Florida_Jim's profile

Florida_Jim

I just added a riser block to my jet. Pretty much a trouble free operation.