|Review by POGO||posted 07-06-2010 04:49 AM||10323 views||1 time favorited||6 comments|
- Milwaukee 6950-20 12-in Dual-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
- Brand: Milwaukee | Category: Miter Saws
After 10 years of reliable service, I decided to update my Miter Saw station (i.e. bench with a single bevel DeWalt miter saw sitting on top). My decision was based my son now having a workshop where I could “will” him tools which could stimulate his interest in woodworking. This would give me a good excuse to upgrade to a miter saw which has been designed to capture the saw dust from the cut.
I do not have the funds for a Kapex, which has been touted as the gold standard for miter saws, so after much research my decision was to purchase the Milwaukee 12-in Dual-Bevel Compound Miter Saw (CMS). The saw was purchased as a “refurbished” unit 6950-80 vs. 6950-20 (new) which arrived will all the same accessories as a NEW unit. The CMS is very similar to the “6955-20 12-in Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw” which takes considerable more rear space.
The saw has been in use for approximately one Month with all indications that it will live up to the Milwaukee name and provide years of service. The CMS arrived packaged to prevent movement of components during shipment. The saw was testedPros
- Miter Angle Digital Readout – provides repeatable accuracy to 0.1 degrees
- Miter Angle Fine Adjust with Detent Override – makes it simple to dial-in precise miter angles
- Dual Integral Jobsite Lights – fully illuminate the work piece and cut line from either side of the blade
- Powerful 15.0 Amp, 3.3 Max HP Direct Drive Motor – provides increased power for high performance cutting in hard lumber
- Constant Power Technology with Soft Start – maintains constant cutting speed under load and decreases start up head movement
- Integral Dust Channel – captures up to 75% of the dust and debris cut
- Oversized Single Lever Bevel Adjustment with (9) Positive Bevel Stops allows the saw to easily bevel left and right 0 degrees – 48 degrees and provides fast and accurate adjustments
- Blade shipped with CMS was very high quality
- Cost more that other CMS
- Heavier than most CMS
- Dust port is rectangular and difficult to adapt to DC system.
- Front to Rear space requirement seems greater than comparable units.
- No laser cut line ( this may be a Pro as the effectiveness of this feature is questionable)
- No Hold-down provided or shown as an option for those who may use one.
The CMS provide accurate cuts in various positions right out of box without any adjustment. The built-in light over the cut area could be somewhat brighter for old eyes and other manufactures should consider adding this feature. The dust collection feature does work as advertised and appears to trap more than 75% of the saw dust. I had plans to construct a surround which now be unnecessary due to the minor amount of saw saw dust blow-by.
One item which may be of interest if this will be used as a stationary CMS. Both Left and Right fences are completely removable which can be replaced with standard wood fences and used with a Kreg KMS8000 Trak and Stops Kit.
-- Arvid, Spring Texas