Milwaukee 12-in Dual-Bevel Compound Miter Saw

Review by POGO posted 07-06-2010 04:49 AM 8042 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Milwaukee 12-in Dual-Bevel Compound Miter Saw Milwaukee 12-in Dual-Bevel Compound Miter Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After 10 years of reliable service, I decided to update my Miter Saw station (i.e. bench with a single bevel DeWalt miter saw sitting on top). My decision was based my son now having a workshop where I could “will” him tools which could stimulate his interest in woodworking. This would give me a good excuse to upgrade to a miter saw which has been designed to capture the saw dust from the cut.

I do not have the funds for a Kapex, which has been touted as the gold standard for miter saws, so after much research my decision was to purchase the Milwaukee 12-in Dual-Bevel Compound Miter Saw (CMS). The saw was purchased as a “refurbished” unit 6950-80 vs. 6950-20 (new) which arrived will all the same accessories as a NEW unit. The CMS is very similar to the “6955-20 12-in Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw” which takes considerable more rear space.

The saw has been in use for approximately one Month with all indications that it will live up to the Milwaukee name and provide years of service. The CMS arrived packaged to prevent movement of components during shipment. The saw was tested

Pros
  • Miter Angle Digital Readout – provides repeatable accuracy to 0.1 degrees
  • Miter Angle Fine Adjust with Detent Override – makes it simple to dial-in precise miter angles
  • Dual Integral Jobsite Lights – fully illuminate the work piece and cut line from either side of the blade
  • Powerful 15.0 Amp, 3.3 Max HP Direct Drive Motor – provides increased power for high performance cutting in hard lumber
  • Constant Power Technology with Soft Start – maintains constant cutting speed under load and decreases start up head movement
  • Integral Dust Channel – captures up to 75% of the dust and debris cut
  • Oversized Single Lever Bevel Adjustment with (9) Positive Bevel Stops allows the saw to easily bevel left and right 0 degrees – 48 degrees and provides fast and accurate adjustments
  • Blade shipped with CMS was very high quality
Cons
  • Cost more that other CMS
  • Heavier than most CMS
  • Dust port is rectangular and difficult to adapt to DC system.
  • Front to Rear space requirement seems greater than comparable units.
  • No laser cut line ( this may be a Pro as the effectiveness of this feature is questionable)
  • No Hold-down provided or shown as an option for those who may use one.

Summary
The CMS provide accurate cuts in various positions right out of box without any adjustment. The built-in light over the cut area could be somewhat brighter for old eyes and other manufactures should consider adding this feature. The dust collection feature does work as advertised and appears to trap more than 75% of the saw dust. I had plans to construct a surround which now be unnecessary due to the minor amount of saw saw dust blow-by.

One item which may be of interest if this will be used as a stationary CMS. Both Left and Right fences are completely removable which can be replaced with standard wood fences and used with a Kreg KMS8000 Trak and Stops Kit.

-- Arvid, Spring Texas

View POGO's profile

POGO

View Greedo's profile

Greedo

#1 posted 07-06-2010 12:38 PM

digital angle indicator and fine adjustment? wow i would love to have that!

View Todd Thomas 's profile

Todd Thomas

#2 posted 07-06-2010 12:49 PM

nice review…....i just took one out of the box….our local Home Depot was clearing the out for $299 and I couldn’t pass it up…..sold my 3 year old Ridgid to pay for it…so far I am very impressed with it…seems like some thought went into the design…......

thanks for the review.

-- Todd, Oak Ridge, TN, Hello my name is Todd and I'm a Toolholic, I bought my last tool 10 days, no 4 days, oh heck I bought a tool on the way here! †

View Tktools's profile

Tktools

#3 posted 07-14-2010 07:39 PM

This saw is awesome, shhh dont tell my Dewalt miter saw but i think i might make the jump to this one after seeing my buddies

-- Junior Cohen Sales www.toolking.com www.tooliday.com

View Mike's profile

Mike

#4 posted 09-12-2010 04:36 PM

I have the 6955-20 12-in Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw. This is a really nice saw which is used mostly in the shop. I was able to adapt dust collector to it but it still spits out more dust than I thought it would. I had just purchased the workpiece hold down for it but was surprised it came with a 7/16 threaded end when there is nothing on the saw for it to thread into. I have sent off an e-mail to Milwaukee asking about this but wondering if anyone here has run into this problem.

-- Mike

View phantomfixer's profile

phantomfixer

5 posts in 1961 days

#5 posted 11-18-2010 04:41 AM

I just bought the 6955-20 today. Got it off of Craigslist, brand new in the box for $400. I was going to get the Bosch 5412 but I found this milwaukee. You can’t go wrong with either saw. I haven’t made any saw dust yet, but did turn it on. I found this saw to be very smooth in every function. I will post a full review in a couple of days.

-- F4D Phantom Fixer

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

#6 posted 02-06-2011 09:55 AM

I also purchased my 6955-20 SCMS from Home Depot last year for $299 during the clearance sale. I haven’t been able to do much with it yet but I did get to use it when I was installing bamboo flooring. Yes, its very heavy but Very powerful, accurate, and smooth. The lack of a hold-down and laser are my only cons.

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10