Steel City 14" Bandsaw

Review by closetguy posted 02-29-2008 12:38 AM 8364 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Steel City 14" Bandsaw Steel City 14" Bandsaw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this saw from Redmond & Son in Atlanta. I wanted to upgrade from my ¾ HP Jet and after looking at the features, I was sold. The price was $699 and I added the Kreg fence for another $100. They forklifted it into my truck, but it was fairly easy to unload by myself.

The saw comes in two boxes. The first thing I did was open the manual with the intention of spending the next hour deciphering the instructions, because I have a lot of power tools and “been there, done that” with all of them. The time from opening the first box to cutting my first test piece was about an hour. This was amazing to me. I have never seen power tool instructions so clear and easy to follow. The pictures leave nothing to chance.

1. Turn the base upside down and install the “stealth” casters.
2. Bolt the saw to the base
3. Put on the belt
4. Check the alignments (pretty pictures show everything)
5. Bolt on the table
6. Check belt tension and band tension
7. Cut wood

Cutting Capacity Height 6” (12” with optional riser block $80)
Blade length 93 ½”
Horsepower 1 ½
Table Size 16” x 16”
Dust Port 4”
Built in mobile base
Upper and Lower Guide Bearings
Quick tension release arm

The saw is very quiet and well balanced when running. It makes more noise when winding down than while it is running. There is a specific RPM that it hits when it winds down that makes it shudder for about a second, but otherwise it is smooth. It doesn’t do this when running up. All the adjustment and alignment knobs and screws are easy to access and adjustments are smooth and precise. I also like the mobile base. It is hidden under the base and there is one foot lever in the rear to acivate it. It works very good and rolls smoothly across my uneven concrete floor.

I have resawed oak and maple with no effort on my part. Of course the Kreg resaw block helps significantly. The saw comes with a magnetic base light, but I chunked it for a battery operated LED light source (see picture). More on the light at http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/closetguy/blog/3680.

I don’t consider myself a bandsaw connoisseur since I only use it maybe once a week for about an hour, but this purchase was one of my better decisions. Just what a dumb ‘ole country boy needs…

-- I don't make mistakes, only design changes....www.dgmwoodworks.com

View closetguy's profile

closetguy

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 02-29-2008 12:57 AM

looks cool. i think that when i need to buy a big woodworking machine in the future one of the places that i will turn towards in Steel City.

View Dominic Vanacora's profile

Dominic Vanacora

#2 posted 03-07-2008 06:40 PM

Your’s is the second review I have read on this saw and both LJ love the saw. I think, I have found my next pruchase. Thank for taking the time to share.

-- Dominic, Trinity, Florida...Lets be safe out there.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#3 posted 03-31-2009 01:55 AM

If anyone is interested in this saw, it looks like Highland Woodworking has a good deal here for $700:
“Our special package deal bundles the Steel City bandsaw (14” model 50100), Steel City Tool’s optional rip fence assembly, and Steel City Tool’s optional 12” height attachment.”

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

913 posts in 2033 days

#4 posted 03-31-2009 02:37 AM

I bought this exact one from Highland Woodworking. I was looking for the granite top one but they were sold out. This is the same saw as the granite one, but with a different table. The base even says 14 inch deluxe granite on it. The rip fence comes with the resaw fence attachment also. See GaryK’s review of the saw that he won for another review of this saw with the granite top. By the way, I have had no problems with the saw so far. The setup went really smoothly, including adding the height attachment. I had no problem doing it by myself. All of the adjustments were easy and I was cutting right away. I did order the 1/2” woodslicer blade at the same time since with the riser block since I had to get a longer blade anyway. Add $30 to the cost but it’s a great blade for the price.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

View Bill Akins's profile

Bill Akins

#5 posted 05-19-2009 03:26 PM

I just bought the same at Highland at their Spring Sale. I bought it for $500 without the riser or fence. I’ll get those later. So far I love the saw, of course, its my first band saw ever.

-- Bill from Lithia Springs, GA I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.

112062 posts in 2227 days

#6 posted 05-19-2009 04:53 PM

I have no experiance with steel city tools but it’s good to hear positive things about them.

View Shrub's profile

Shrub

159 posts in 1921 days

#7 posted 06-16-2009 10:26 PM

I bought this saw 3 months ago with the 12 inch riser. It works much better than my old Craftsman saw. I added a nice resaw blade from Highland Woodworking and it eats through the wood easily. I am having some issues with the blade wandering when resawing taller boards. More reading by me will hopefully cure this.

-- Shrub G. , Dalton Georgia

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2114 days

#8 posted 06-28-2009 09:09 PM

Have had mine since Jan 09. Love the saw, just added the 6in riser block. Moves blade length to 105in, commonly available blade. Re-sawed some 6in wide cotton wood. No challenge for the saw, need to try some oak and hickory. I re-sawed narrow hickory nicely without the block, can’t see why that would change. Overall, I love the saw, not too sure what the advantage of the rack and pinon guide adjustment. I tend to let go the wheel and it slams down on the granite top. Either need to tighten the set screw or pay attention. I have not used the higher speed setting yet. Too lazy to change and I think the lower speed is better suited to my experience level. Hope this helps someone make a choice. BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)