LEIGH D4R PRO " OR IS IT"

Review by jaxx posted 07-05-2010 11:18 PM 9221 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
LEIGH D4R PRO " OR IS IT" LEIGH D4R PRO " OR IS IT" No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After some time waiting for the new DR4 PRO to arrive in Europe its finally here at last and in my workshop. as the proud owner of the FMT PRO i simply had to have the new D4R Pro however, a word on what is the D4R Pro and what you actaully get. it seems shortly after releasing the D4R pro Leigh Jigs upgraded this to D4R Pro.
Im told you can convert the D4R to a D4R pro so dont through away the old one

” confused ” not as half as i was as although advertised with all the new features etc the first ones off the line did not have the upgrade kit in the box like mine. after several emails with LeeValley and Leigh jigs this was confirmed . Leigh said they would send be the Kit to make this new jig a real D4R Pro . Anyways i will wait until my UK vendor Axminster sends me and for sure they will as they are a brilliant vendor from the UK even though i live in Spain.

So out of the Box etc. the 24in is big and strong and for sure a quality piece of kit and i bought the VRS attachment its simply a must to have this router support.

as usual im a bit to keen to get chopping away and as usual did not set the jig up as i should have done so i stopped and watched the excellent DVD showing you the whole set up. The manual is excellent too however i prefered to go step by step with the dvd. The FMT Pro jig can be a bit of a strain to set up as the tollerences are exacting to say the least however, i found once i have watched the DVD and read the manual the D4R PRO was really as easy as 1 2 3 to cut my first test peices as per the manual and low and behold my first accurate dovetail box in a few minutes.

i can see this is going to be a well used Jig in the shop and i have a few projects i can now attemp.

Pro’s . Superbly made accurate jig cabable of just about anything .

Con’s . dont watch the dvd or read the manual then you will find out.

Sum Up . Its A Dream.

1st project photos will follow

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#1 posted 07-06-2010 12:57 AM

Although majority are of the opinion that Leigh D4R pro is the best Dovetail jig, there are few that consider this a notch above. http://www.harborfreight.com/dovetail-machine-34102.html

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View degoose's profile

degoose

7000 posts in 1992 days

#2 posted 07-06-2010 01:04 AM

I have the D4R and Just yesterday made a carcass for a Dart Board cabinet… really sweet and simple..
but I must agree the Harbour Freight if by far the cheapest… LOL

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

112030 posts in 2215 days

#3 posted 07-06-2010 05:41 AM

A great review well done.

#4 posted 07-06-2010 06:39 AM

If I read your post correctly , you are giving it 5 stars and you were able to make one box with it , but you don’t even have all of the parts yet ??? I guess it’s a good jig then : )

#5 posted 07-06-2010 08:44 AM

you’re right on the 5 stars, maybe a bit to quick with that. I mostly work with oak and i have a project in mind a Cabin Trunk for out lounge lets see how i get on with this then i will post another review

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#6 posted 07-06-2010 04:51 PM

I have the same set up as you and I am pleased with it. I had that one was mentioned above like the harbor frieght offering. It worked if you wanted to tweak it and modifiy it with better grips but was limited in what you coul do with it. At $34.95 it’s still a good way to learn about machine cut doves.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

#7 posted 08-24-2010 12:30 PM

The upgrade kit has arrived now. Its now a full D4R PRO

View logndog's profile

logndog

42 posts in 2032 days

#8 posted 05-23-2011 05:37 PM

i have the chance to buy the dr4 brand new with the vac attachment for 375.00 OBO good buy? even if i offer 350?

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#9 posted 05-23-2011 05:45 PM

LOL with routerismyname. Am I the only one that found the “notch above” comment hilarious? I can’t cost justify the Pro but I think the common consensus is that there’s nothing finer.