Does anybody have an opinion on this lathe?

Review by Tom Z posted 1508 days ago 3453 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Does anybody have an opinion on this lathe? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am seriuosly considering buying this lathe because of the swivel head stock. It has very similiar features of the DELTA 46-460 and the JET 1220. It is priced higher than both. Is it worth the extra $ ?

View Tom Z's profile

Tom Z

View Hacksaw007's profile

Hacksaw007

From what I have read about this lathe is that it is a serious lathe. I bought the Jet 1220vs and love it, but if I would have had the money I might have gone with this one. If you are going to spend this much money have you checked out the 1224 Oneway lathe? http://www.oneway.ca/lathes/1224lathe.htm This is anouther lathe worth looking at, if you dont’ mind the money…...

-- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

View MrWoody's profile

MrWoody

I have had this lathe for over a year now and I love it.

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.

View Tom Z's profile

Tom Z

Well MrWoody you put me over the top. After looking in your shop and seeing the GI I made the call and ordered it today. Can’t wait to get it. They said up to 3 weeks. That stand is awesome as well. I think I’ll do the same only taller. I am 6’4” tall and my back screams with standard height tool stands. Thanks for the post. You have some great looking work…

View RichardH's profile

RichardH

Please post a review of the lathe once you have a chance to play with it a while. After you brought up this lathe I looked briefly at it online – it seems impressive and probably the most interesting amongst all the midi’s that I’ve seen. Love the headstock, the variable speed, and just the beefy weight of this thing. Sounds like a great new toy – cheers, Richard

-- "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it...It's the hard that makes it great."

View Jesse Friesen's profile

Jesse Friesen

166 posts in 2047 days

I have this lathe and love it. I have made alot of pens and bowls on it and it works perfectly. The variable speed is really nice.

View kapanen's profile

kapanen

Have to ask….Are you still happy with your purchase. I have been shopping around for a lathe for a bit now, (also looking at banks which have poor security) and haven’t had much luck in either endevour.

This lathe looked like it was the only one out there that met the majority of what I want….(price is a huge factor in this).

So I have to ask, do you regret your purchase, would you do it all over again?

I will probably purchase this machine if you have had good luck with it….only exception is if a great deal comes across in the used market that I can jump on?

-- "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"....Pablo Picasso

View Keith Fenton's profile

Keith Fenton

I bought this lathe and think it’s great. It has so much capacity with such a small footprint. The belt changes are super easy. Everything lines up as it should and it’s soooo quiet! I love it and would buy it over again.

One minor issue is that the website lists the minimum speed as 300 RPM but the manual they have available for downloading says 400 RPM. The manual I got with the lathe had stickers over the speed ratings which indicated 300 RPM miniumum but the digital readout on mine only as low as 375RPM or so.

-- Scroll saw patterns @ http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com