A mobile base for Canadians

Review by swayze posted 1382 days ago 1550 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A mobile base for Canadians No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up this mobile base a couple of weeks ago for my new Grizzly 513p bandsaw. It was on sale for 65% off the regualr price of $99.99 so I thought what do I have to lose and I didn’t expect much. But the base performs excellent on the 350lb saw. The only negative about it is that in order to operate the cams that lifts the base up so the casters can make contact requires a little help by slightly pushing upward on the saw. But still very easily managed. The base is easily moved around the shop. The range it expands from 12” x 12” (31×31 cm) to 20” x 52” (51×132 cm) and is rated for 400lbs. Great base especially for the money it cost me. I only wish that I had bought another. It appears to be the same that a few other companies market in the US.

View MickeyGee's profile

MickeyGee

That’s fantastic news! I’d been checking this one out at the Tire but was unsure if it would perform as well as I need. Thanks for the review, I’ll be picking one (or two) up the next time they go on sale.

-- -- Mike

Rick

I have the Identical one that I bought from Lowes (Canada) at Regular Price of $79.95. I cut out the ad your talking about and was going to buy 2 more then lost the ad and forgot all about it …..DUH!!!

At $30 or $40 Bucks…..it’s a Gift! As usual after opening the box I hit all moving parts with some White Lithium Grease. I found that it made a big difference on the Aluminum Alloy Cam Lifters as there was next to no grease there before. Contact points at wheels, as well as the “through bolt holder”.

Also found that (as you mentioned) the “Tightness Adjustment” of the “Through Bolt” was important to get just the right amount of “Tightness” on the “Cam Lifters” to raise the Unit. I had them WAY to tight to start with and could hardly move them. All they need is to be JUST tight enough to get past the “Cam Point” that raises or Lowers the Unit.

You got yourself a GOOD DEAL swayze!! While I was asleep at the switch. Now I’m all Upset again and it’s all your Fault!! ...LOL….

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

If you guys want the same base busybeetools.com sells it all the time at less than $50. It’s a Canadian website. It’s $45 right now. They have others also depending on the weight of your tools and the quality you want. I bought the $45 one for my jointer (I paid less than $45 but don’t remember how much). It works very well.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

Rick

Hey Rex: Right you are! Took your advice and went there today had a look see. 4 or 5 of them, ALL good prices. Lee Valley has one also at $59.

Busy Bee is putting up a New Web Site also. While I was there I downloaded their entire 2010 Catalogue via PDF. They seem to be Featuring a LOT of “Craftex” Products and have all the PDF Dowloads available for them all. I’m not familiar with that brand. Maybe it’s a “House Brand”??

They just opened, or are about to open a New Store in Ottawa. Which is about the closest you’ll ever get seeing as how Bainsville is about 3/4 of an inch from falling off the Right Side of the “Official Ontario Road Map”...LOL….

By the way. LOVELY FAMILY!!!

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

Your right Rick about Ottawa being the closest for me but I have been to the one in Barrie as the comapny I work for has an office there.

As for your comment about my location, all I can say is. “I like living on the edge!” LOL

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

swayze

Sorry Rick for getting you upset!!! LOL Anyway if your still looking I see they are on sale again. I’m going to get another for my Jointer. I had to tow my bandsaw all the way across my shop and my floor is terrible. It went across easily.

Rick

Swayze: That’s okay. It only lasted for a couple of days…LOL…

Thank you for Posting this to let me know. Very thoughtfull of you. That’s NOT an ongoing “happening” on here. I use to do it a lot, but no more. Not ONCE did I get anything even close to, or even a “Thanks” for what you just did. That includes 8 or 9 PM’s.

Anyway, back to the Base. I noticed it also and wil probably get one for future use at that price.

Lee Valley also has them, prety well identical, but with a “Double Sided Cam Lifter”. (as below) for $59.00. Not to sure if the Red Composite Lifter will handle a lot of punishment though.

Thanks again for the Heads Up. If it’s okay by you, will add you to my “Buddies List”

Regards: Rick