Good, Solid Sander

Review by blockhead posted 07-03-2010 05:59 PM 5474 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good, Solid Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review so please bear with me. I’ll try to keep it straight and to the point. I purchased this sander about 3 months ago and to this point, I must say that I am quite impressed. This is a well built, solid machine with plenty of power for what I use it for. I use the 4” x 36” belt mostly for shaping handles for my boxes and the 8” disc mostly for rounding the corners on the boxes and lids. The 5 amp, 3/4hp, 3450 rpm motor has easily handled these tasks and a few others I have thrown at it.

The sander weighs in at just over 50lbs. and is well balanced with almost no vibration. It comes with two aluminum work tables so there is no need for moving one back and forth from the disc to the belt and having to reset, and they’re held securely in place with the table lock handles. Also included is the cheesy little miter gauge which does happen to work as it should, but is definitely light duty.

The sander is equipped with a quick release tension lever which makes quick work of changing the belt. The belt alignment knob works exactly as it should and once I set it, it stays. There have been no problems with keeping the belt tracking properly.

The dust collection leaves a bit to be desired, especially when using the included dust bag. It works much better, but not super, when I attach the shop vac to the 2 ½” outlet. All in all, I am quite impressed with this sander. It’s exactly what I needed for my shop. When I purchased mine, it was selling for $179. I had a few issues with the “Big Box” store, so it was offered to me for $50 (but that’s another story). I believe now it is going for $199. Either price in my opinion is worth it. I for one have been a bit more leery of PC since being acquired by Black and Decker. However, I feel confident that this is not a “disposable” sander and should last for quite some time.

-- Brad, Oregon- The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

View patron's profile

patron

13101 posts in 2027 days

#1 posted 07-03-2010 06:24 PM

GOOD REVIEW .

glad you like it , and at that price ,
it’s a steal .
they do work wonders ,
just watch sanding the end of your fingers ,
i does hurt ,
and leaves blood on the work (LOL) !

#2 posted 07-03-2010 06:50 PM

Thanks David. Yes, it not only removes wood well, but skin too.

View BritBoxmaker's profile

BritBoxmaker

#3 posted 07-03-2010 07:52 PM

Well it only hurts untill you’ve sanded through the nerves.

After that blood is your main worry.

-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com

View stefang's profile (online now)

stefang

13260 posts in 2020 days

#4 posted 07-03-2010 09:04 PM

That’s a great review Brad. It looks like a very good addition to anyone’s shop. Personally I always use a disk sander on my fingers to sensitize them for safe cracking purposes. it’s all in the touch.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#5 posted 07-03-2010 09:37 PM

Thanks for a good review.

I have yet to find a belt sander or disk sander that did a very good job of dust control. I think, by it’s nature, it is hard to effectively collect dust on a belt or disk sander. In contrast, drum sanders seem to do a good job on dust control.

#6 posted 07-03-2010 10:08 PM

Thanks for the review, Brad. It sounds like you got a “steal” on this tool. This is a tool that should last you quite a while and prove to be a real asset to your shop.

Have fun with it but try to keep the fingers out of the way.

#7 posted 07-03-2010 10:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback LJ’s.

Martyn- I haven’t gone that deep yet, but I’ll take your word for it.

Mike- I’ve “sensitized” my fingers once or twice on the belt sander, but not the disc sander. I’ll take your word for it too.

Rich- I would have to agree. These machines are much like chopsaws, some do better than others at collecting dust, but none are that great.

Scott- Yeah, I would say it was a steal of a deal at 50 bucks. I have to admit, it is one of my most enjoyable tools to use in the shop.

View japanesewoodworker's profile

japanesewoodworker

#8 posted 07-04-2010 01:21 AM

I liked your review. I would not know that this was your “first” tool review.

Keep up the good work.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#9 posted 07-04-2010 03:03 AM

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

#10 posted 07-04-2010 04:41 PM

nice sander, they are use full.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View pantango's profile

pantango

#11 posted 11-20-2012 11:36 PM

pc was not aquired by Black and Decker…..Stanley aquired Black and Decker and is now called Stanley Black and Decker. I worked for them and thats whats on my pay checks.

Anyways….I think I’m going to buy this sander. I was looking at a 12 in disc from HF, but for a few more bucks I can have a belt sander too.

Thanks for the review

-- Hate how work gets in the way of my hobby!!

#12 posted 11-21-2012 01:01 PM

@pantango- I used Wikipedia as my reference for B&D acquiring PC. I was making a long story short and this is the long of it according to Wikipedia:

“In 2005, the Pentair Tools Group—comprising Porter-Cable, Delta Machinery, DeVilbiss Air Power, and others—was purchased by Black & Decker, now Stanley Black & Decker.”

Stanley and B&D merged in March of 2010.

After 2 1/2 years with this sander and using it hard, it still works just as good as the day I bought it. Assuming they’re still made the same, you won’t be disappointed.