Milescraft 1207 Router Design Inlay Kit

Review by ChunkyC posted 07-02-2010 06:48 PM 5986 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Milescraft 1207 Router Design Inlay Kit Milescraft 1207 Router Design Inlay Kit Milescraft 1207 Router Design Inlay Kit Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the Milescraft 1207 Router Design Inlay Kit because a friend wants me to inlay the Wisconsin “Running W” logo into a lid for him.

The kit comes complete with everything that you need to get started routing inlays. I had to make a trip to the hardware store for M4×12 pan head screws to mount the universal base plate to my Freud router. It comes with 7” Universal Base Plate with the Turnlock system, three guide bushing, 4 templates with multiple cutouts, a center pin, an 1/8” Downcut Spiral for inlays, a “V” grove bit, extra base plate mounting screws (imperial thread I believe), a pencil and guide bushing for the pencil.

The quality of the plastic pieces is pretty good although there where a couple burs that had to be removed. The kit is easy to use that’s for sure. I’ve never done anything like this before and it only took me a couple of minutes to figure the system out.

How it works is you clamp the template guide holder to your workpiece and then place the template guide into the holder. Next you route around the template. Next, remove the template and rotate it to the next position depending on the design your making.. Wash, rinse and repeat until you’ve gotten all of the way around.

I haven’t tried an inlay yet but the design part of it is simple as it gets.

The universal base plate didn’t fit up to my router all that great. I could only find two holes that lined up. Although it seems to be fine and the instructions say that you may only find two, I would prefer to have all 4 screws securing the base plate to the router. Also, this is more for crafts type of work which is fine, but not my type cup tea.

I’m giving it 4 stars for the following “issues”

1) The alignment pin. I don’t get why the alignment pin isn’t the same size as the inside diameter of the bushing?? You have to sort of guess where the center is and then tighten down the base plate. Sort of defeats the purpose of an “alignment” pin. If you have a lath, I would suggest taking a few minutes and turning your own alignment pin that actually aligns the base plate to the center of the router.

2) It’s all plastic. It’s made from the good type of plastic, glass reinforced plastic is what it reminds me of. I would have like to seen nice brass guide bushings.

$39.50 from Amazon

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 1906 days

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 07-02-2010 07:48 PM

Thanks for the review. I have seen these things and I have often wondered how well they work.

In general, my experience with templates for routing have not been very good but I have not tried this particular product yet.

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2056 days

#2 posted 07-02-2010 11:47 PM

I received one as a gift a couple of years ago and used it for making flower designs on the back of some porch swings I was making. It worked OK for me after a short learning curve. It’s not bad for the price.

The alignment pin that came with mine is cone shaped at the base of the pin that sticks up out of the collet. This is like all alignment pins I’ve used with routers. The pin is intentionally small so it can be used with different size bushings and is just to get you started. You lower the base on to the cone which pushes the base plate into alignment when it reaches the bushing. You lock the base in place on the cone and screw the plate back down. Anyway, that’s how I do it. Hope that”s clear.

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

856 posts in 1906 days

#3 posted 07-02-2010 11:55 PM

araldite – That is clear! I was chucking the alignment pin in the router to start with. I guess maybe I had it chucked up to low because the base plate never got to the cone shaped part. I’ll file that away and do that when I start doing some real inlays with it.

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

#4 posted 07-03-2010 05:56 AM

I have considered the milescraft inlay kit but was put off by the plastic look.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View douglbe's profile

douglbe

#5 posted 07-03-2010 01:37 PM

Thanks for the review. I bought the kit this past winter, but have yet to play with it. Maybe soon.

-- Doug, Reed City, Michigan

View Howie's profile

Howie

#6 posted 07-04-2010 02:53 AM

I have the same kit and have found it to be quite useful. The inlays on the boxes in my profile are done with one.
I’ve never had a problem with the plastic.

-- Life is good.

View BIGTEACH's profile

BIGTEACH

#7 posted 05-20-2014 01:42 PM

Hey I have one of these but lost the instructions. Does anyone have a copy pdf?