My DeWalt 18 Volt 4 piece Combo Kit

Review by Dick, & Barb Cain posted 02-29-2008 12:17 AM 3497 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My DeWalt 18 Volt 4 piece Combo Kit My DeWalt 18 Volt 4 piece Combo Kit My DeWalt 18 Volt 4 piece Combo Kit Click the pictures to enlarge them

Over the years I’ve gone through many low end mediocre battery powered drills.

I think this set is going to last me a long time.

When you put one of these in your hand, you can tell, just by the feel, that you’re holding a quality tool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hammer Drill
Features: Variable speed Dewalt built high-torque motor delivers 500 in-lbs. of maximum torque, 2,000 rpm & 34,000 Beats/Minute.

I’ve used this drill while making log furniture, & no matter what sized bit, it won’t stall out.

It has an auxiliary handle that you can set to variable positions. It’s great when doing some heavy duty drilling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Circular Saw
Features: 6-1/2 in., 16 tooth carbide-tipped blade and rip fence can cut 2×4’s at a 45 degree angle in a single pass.

I haven’t used my Electric saw since I’ve had this one, it has plenty of power, & battery life .

You can do accurate work with it also. It has a well built rip guide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reciprocating Saw
Features: 1-1/8 in. stroke length and 3,000 spm for faster cutting..

It has a unique lever operated blade changing. No more having to carry an Allen wrench.

I carry this with me now, instead of my bow saw, when gathering tag alder for making things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Flexible Floodlight Features: a wide angle beam that is brighter than traditional flashlights, along with a flexible neck that allows for hands-free operation.

It makes a real handy trouble light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’ve had only one problem with this set.

One of the batteries got extremely hot while in use.

Then it went dead after using it a few times.

I was worried about the warranty, because I had bought the tool on Ebay.

I went to the local dealer, & told him about it . He told me no problem,

so I brought it to him, & he looked at the date on the battery, & handed me a new one.

Man! was that a relief. I was so happy I bought 2 more batteries from him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I highly recommend these tools .

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 02-29-2008 12:24 AM

ya my dad has that drill and he loves it. it never stalls. has plenty of power and the battery life lasts much longer that most other batteries.

#2 posted 02-29-2008 01:56 AM

Dick,

I have an older series (mine was a close-out when Dewalt started replacing a regular 18v drill with the hammer drill) and you are right on the money about the review. I very rarely use either of my electric circular saws anymore despite the fact that they have more torque. It is simply more convenient to use.

The only difficulty, and this may be reflective of its age. is that the circular saw needs a fresh battery to cut well but if it gets into any type of bind will bog down whereas my electric saws will power through any binding. The circular saw does create splintering when cutting plywood veneers but I simply use my tablesaw to trim off the splintered area. Of the 4 tools the reciprocating saw is my favorite. It labors with cuts. I really prefer an electric model with more torque. Not as convenient but it performs better. One other difficulty I have had with the reciprocating saw is getting the battery to release. I have to use a screwdriver to walk it off the saw.

Would I buy the package again- absolutely. I have gotten to the point where I will not drive a single screw, rip up a sheet of plywood or use a flashlight without grabbing one of these tools.

View Tony's profile

Tony

#3 posted 03-03-2008 09:24 AM

I like the Dewalt small machines (hand held) also, reliable and long life – I cannot say the same about the larger bench machines, I am not totally happy about the quality, I had to return 4 compount mitre saws (same model) because they were not accurate (design fault), but they did not care!

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)