Low Cost Edge Banding that Works

Review by jayman7 posted 06-30-2010 04:38 AM 3929 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Low Cost Edge Banding that Works Low Cost Edge Banding that Works No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First, let me say that I have never applied an iron-on edge banding before. This was for making a series of drawer fronts using red oak plywood. I’ve done solid wood edges in the past, but not using a pre-glued veneer.

I initially wanted to try the edge banding available at the typical woodworking stores, but it worked out to be about $0.66 / linear foot. I saw the Band-It edge banding at the big box stores for only $0.26 / linear foot so I had to give it a try. I applied it with an iron and used my rubber glue roller to really press it in. I trimmed it flush with my card scraper, sanded it down, and eased the edges. The result is shown in the picture and I’m pretty happy with it. You can see the glue line if you look closely, but again it was my first attempt and the camera is zoomed way in. If you look at it normally, you can’t see the glue line at all.

I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it’s exactly 3/4” wide as opposed to the typical 13/16”. This means I had to align it perfectly with the plywood while I was ironing it on. Plywood is slightly smaller than 3/4” anyway, so if you take your time, then you’ll be just fine.

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#1 posted 06-30-2010 04:41 AM

thanks for the review

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#2 posted 06-30-2010 02:26 PM

thanks for the review. I was wondering about this stuff too.

View Randy Sharp's profile

Randy Sharp

#3 posted 06-30-2010 11:38 PM

I have used several rolls of this product and have been very pleased with the results. It applies easily and takes stain well. My primary use was bookcases and chests of drawers. After 10 years of application, I have seen no signs of separation by the banding from the plywood edge.

I can highly recommend it for those “non-heirloom” and funtional pieces for the budget conscience woodworker.

-- Randy, Tupelo, MS ~ A man who honors his wife will have children who honor their father.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#4 posted 07-01-2010 02:40 AM

I’m with Randy. I’ve used this and never had a problem.
One suggestion I would make is to go to a garage sale(or buy) and get a dedicated iron. My wife caught me using hers and after finding out it wouldn’t fit….....(g) went out and bought me my own.

-- Life is good.

View Luke's profile

Luke

541 posts in 2040 days

#5 posted 07-01-2010 07:34 AM

I only have to add that I agree with randy and howie but…. only if you use it on straight edges. Introduce any sort of curve, especially an concave one, and you would have to have a rounded iron, which I couldn’t find. I ended up using a heat gun which was very difficult and actually made the glue too hot and was very difficult to work with. I’m sure there is some dedicated way of doing this but probably requires a special iron or iron head to attach to some machine. My curved pieces are already peeling. Straight parts looks great still. Glue and tape on non preglued edging might be better for rounded parts.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com