Dust Collector Remote Switch from Rockler ON SALE

Review by los posted 1520 days ago 3792 views 1 time favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Collector Remote Switch from Rockler ON SALE No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Fellow Jocks, saw this remote switch on sale at Rockler for $45 marked down from $72(on sale on the web, just tell the retail guy and they will look it up). I had a gift card and picked one up. Set it up in my basement shop and worked like a charm. Now I dont have to move tools around to reach the DC switch.

View jimofsanston's profile

jimofsanston

Thanks i am in need of one.

-- Jim LaCourse

View DrewM's profile

DrewM

I wonder if it can handle the 2hp (supposedly) Harbor freight dust collector I have?

-- Drew, Delaware

los

DrewM, guess what DC I have…..........2 hp Harbor Freight! I never saw the 1.5 rating on the specs. But seems to work just fine.

los

UPDATE – looks like Woodcraft is selling a similar model on sale as well($55 for up to 1.5 hp and $58 for up to 3 HP)

Interesting, might have to get one of these bad boys, toys are cool! It will be one remote my wife won’t try and take LOL

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

This is a great addition to a DC system. I have had this same one for about two years and have never had a problem – in fact, I am still using the original battery.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View grizzman's profile (online now)

grizzman

6937 posts in 1935 days

i had one of those, then i had trouble getting the plug out…i finally got it out and the connection inside broke…i fixed it , but it wont work on my dust collector anymore…i tried it on a different piece of equipment and it worked….i dont know what the problem is…so i hard wired my dust collector to a normal switch…just ran a switch wire to the dc unit and wham…it was done….no more need for a remote switch…but if anyone has a clue why the one i have wont work on my dc now..that would be great to know..

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

I got one on sale at Woodcraft a few months ago los. I used be at my table saw all set up with the lumber positioned just so and remember I have to turn on the DC. Move the wood out of the way to walk around to the DC, turn it on, walk back, cut the wood, etc. Very convenient shop accessory. By the way, the $58 one is intended for 220v applications.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View Chase's profile

Chase

The switch on my DC was a little difficult to get to, and this made it a lot nicer. I am able to impress my friends and family with a secret remote DC turn on while they are in the garage.

-- Every neighborhood has an eccentric neighbor. I wondered for years "who was ours?" Then I realized it was me.

View Howie's profile

Howie

I have one of these and it works great on my Delta 1 HP d/c. It won’t turn on the HF 2HP. Mine is marked for up to 1.5.

-- Life is good.

I have avoided those due to the 1.5HP rating… The ones at Woodcraft sound interesting… For now I simply unplug / plug the DC in with the switch on. Basically manually doing what these do anyway…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5010 posts in 1940 days

A remote swith is such a great convenience. I have one from Oneida and after finding it to be so convenient I bought 3 more remote buttons to keep around the shop.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Wow..i have been eying this baby every time I go into Woodcraft..I will have to pick one up now that it’s on sale..

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View CryptKeeper's profile

CryptKeeper

Thanks Los,
I just ordered one. It is funny I almost bought one Monday from the local Rockler Store for regular price and decided to hold off.

Thanks again,

-- Ron - Any day that I don't learn something new is a wasted day.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

Deke - I would not worry too much about misplacing the remote. It is possible to buy a new one. All you have to do is set some dip switches in the remote to match those on your unit – like many garage door remotes.

Chase – What you say about impressing your friends made me laugh. When I installed mine, I had a blast playing with the minds of my two young sons. I had the remote in my pocket, pointed at the DC with my other hand and it magically started or stopped. I even had them doing the pointing to control the DC. I made sure that it did not work the first few times, but after a while they got the hang of it!