Freud Adjustable (Ogee) rail and Stile Bit Set

Review by Drew posted 06-28-2010 08:46 PM 4008 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Freud Adjustable (Ogee) rail and Stile Bit Set Freud Adjustable (Ogee) rail and Stile Bit Set Freud Adjustable (Ogee) rail and Stile Bit Set Click the pictures to enlarge them

Nice set of bits.
I paid $120, about $20 more then the non-adjustable set.

Info

Pros:
-Quality cut. Very nice, clean, single pass cut. Better then my Grizzly (purple set).
-Versatile. I will leave the details to Freud

Freud

Cons:
-Directions. I had to go online (not to Freud, but to Woodcraft) to find instructions. Even then the instructions are not as detailed as I would have liked. I wish they would show you how many shims to use to achieve a certain width groove. Not just “and shims as needed”.
-Tongue depth. As you can see from the pictures, the tongue is not as deep as the groove. This could be user error but I have not had this issue with other sets.

With that said I am still very happy with this bit set. Can’t ask for a better cut. My Triton 2 1/4 router set at a medium speed pushed these bits with ease. They also handled changes in grain direction without any major tear-out.

I would recommend this set to anyone wanting to do stick and cope joinery. Even if you don’t plan to use any of the extra features, I still believe it would be worth the extra $20 to have the extra options.

I only wish this set would work with wood up 1 3/8” think, instead of 1 1/4”

-- That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.” ― Aldous Huxley

View Drew's profile

Drew

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#1 posted 06-28-2010 09:45 PM

Freud make the best and sharpest and longest lasting router bits.
Same on saw blades.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View DAWG's profile

DAWG

#2 posted 06-29-2010 09:36 AM

Thanks for sharing.

-- Luke 23: 42-43

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

#3 posted 06-29-2010 03:26 PM

Can you post a link to where you found the Woodcraft instructions, I have this set and the set up like you say is difficult.

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

View Drew's profile

Drew

#4 posted 06-30-2010 04:20 PM

Here is a link.

I don’t think this is where I originally found it, but it is the same pdf.

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

#5 posted 07-01-2010 06:19 AM

Thanks as the bit comes with a very small printout instruction the PDF will help quite a bit at least I can zoom it.

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

View mobilepaul's profile

mobilepaul

#6 posted 06-27-2011 03:44 PM

Hi johnny,

Good review and I know this is a late post to reply but anyone reading your review now can find very detailed instructions in the form of a pdfs at freud’s site. Here is the addy http://www.freudtools.com/p-429-premier-adjustable-rail-amp-stile-bits.aspx. There are also 5 videos on youtube that show segments of the bits in action.

Paul

View mobilepaul's profile

mobilepaul

#7 posted 06-27-2011 03:48 PM

Oh, one further note, if you watch the video of the Freud guy making the door frames, he too has a gap right where your gap is. I am wondering if that is a flaw in the geometry of this new line of bits?

Paul