not perfect but next best thing.

Review by charlie48 posted 1488 days ago 3932 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
not perfect but next best thing. not perfect but next best thing. not perfect but next best thing. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally decided to make the switch to a cabinet saw, thinking maybe magically it would make me a better woodworker? well I think the jury will be out for awhile on that one, but like the tool man Taylor I do have more power!
I had it delivered to my local lumber yard, I cant thank them enough for helping me out this way!!
I had these visions of my brand new magical saw comming in all dented and broken,but it arrived in great shape, so thanks to all the drivers that cared for my new toy on its journey from MO. to Wi.
The lumber yard loaded it on my truck and I was off,scrutizing my plan to get it off the truck,because I had no help,I had to build an elaberate skid system to get it off my truck , but that could be another blog.
Now to put it together.Under the heavey carboard box was a wooden frame attached to a pallet,now for sure my fears of bent and broken pcs. vanished.Now the saw is on the floor after carefull measurements,because I didn’t want to move it again!!!
The extensions went on without a hitch,because a few weeks ago I watched a vidio on FWW web on how to assemble a saw, and picked up a great tip on how to put on the extensions without help.next the fence assembly,and the wooden extension table went together with no problems.next was the riving knife,now I was ready to level and square eveything up.I leveled the extensions to the saw, a few hits with a rubber hammer did the trick, a steel rule across the extensions and saw measured .0015 out of flat, worked for me.Next the blade, it was sqaure,then on to the riving knife, it was out so per instructions I bent it,easy fix.Now to the fence, it was .015 out, so a few tweaks later it .001,BUT the poly fence face was wavy by .010 to .015, So out come the deck of cards,I couldn’t get it perfect but after an hour of loosening bolts and insurting pcs. of card stock and retightening I got the waves much closer together,and about .004 from high point to low point on the waves, but after cutting a few boards that come out flat I was OK with the fix.
It was a fun build up even with the few problems, but when I turned her on and she come life,all the problems went away!! Man what a saw!!! even with the Grizzly blade it cut like a dream,I can’t wait to put a good blade on.I think I have to order thick kerf kerf blades as the riving knife is .100 and my thin kerf would be trouble,I don’t think they make a thinner riving knife? but I’m working on that. I gave this asw a 4 star rating because of the few problems I had,but I can’t see myself giving anything a perfect rating. Anyone wanting a very good saw cann’t go wrong with the Grizzly G0690 or G0691.

-- Charlie............Only time will tell if it was time well spent.

View charlie48's profile

charlie48

View GregD's profile

GregD

Earlier this year I upgraded from a contractor’s saw with sheet metal wings to a similar type cabinet saw. I love the difference just like you do. Every time I use it, it makes me smile. I’m happy to stick with full kerf blades. You’ll like it even better once you get your outfeed table set up on it. Congrats!

-- Greg D.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I’ve also taken delivery of some relatively heavy tools (including a couple of Grizzlys). Like you, I almost always work alone and getting these tools into the shop and properly set up can be a real challenge.

This particular saw is high on my list as a possible upgrade from my more modest hybrid TS.

View charlie48's profile

charlie48

Thanks Greg, for now I’m using my small workbench as an outfeed table untill I build a dedicated one.

Rich, I should have taken pics. of the contraption I built to offload this saw ,it would have made for a good laugh around here,but it was strong and it worked.If you don’t have a good back, or an extra back, then build a back.

-- Charlie............Only time will tell if it was time well spent.

View DAWG's profile

DAWG

Thanks for the review, this is the tablesaw I’m going to upgrade to someday. It’s great to get feed back about equipment from someone you know really uses it. Thanks again for sharing and I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your new saw.

-- Luke 23: 42-43

View AJJ's profile

AJJ

I bought the 690 and love it. I just now working on my first major project with it, a work bench with 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 legs and 3 by 5 stretchers. It cut right thru the Douglas fir without bogging down. Getting it to the shop across 75 feet if grass was a challenge. Furniture dollies and leap frogging 4 by 8 by 3/4 plywood end to end. Arrived Fed-Ex ground with no damage anywhere. I also recommend this saw.

-- AJJ, Eugene OR