Ridgid 12 in Sliding Compound Miter Saw

Review by Randy L. posted 1494 days ago 5678 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid 12 in Sliding Compound Miter Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased a Ridgid MS 1290LZ 12 in Sliding Compound Miter saw. I was looking for a saw to take the place of both a radial arm saw and a miter saw, so I decided on a 12 in slider. I did not have room (or money!) for both types of saws, so i decided that this would be a good way to get some of the benefits of both. I have had this saw for about two weeks now and am just about done trimming out my entire house with it. So far I am very happy with it and feel as if it was money well spent.

I do understand that I gave up some capacity by not going with a radial arm – but I figured anything that is too big for this saw can be cut on the table saw. I was also concerned about a lack of accuracy by going with a slider, but was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of this saw.

I decided to purchase the Ridgid (compared to similiar models made by Dewalt and Bosch) for the following reasons:

- I preferred the large table on the Ridgid
- Ridgid offers a limited lifetime warranty, where others do not
-The Ridgid seemed the most solid to me and seemed to have the least play in the sliding mechanism.
- The Ridgid was about 100 dollars less in price.

The pro’s of this saw that I have noticed so far . . .

- The controls on the ridgid seemed simple, which I liked. It also is incredibly smooth when changing angles. you can also make miters up to 60 degrees. Both the miter and bevel adjustments have positive stops which makes for very fast changes and adjustments.

-The saw came from the factory adjusted absolutely perfect, well as close to perfect as possible! I was very impressed with the accuracy of this saw, especially when operating it with the slider locked in the back position. I do not think there is another saw on the market that will cut miters noticeably more accurate.

-I was skeptical of the laser, but I actually found it to be very handy and accurate. I started to use it more and more as I worked through trimming out my house.

and the Con’s . . .

- The dust collection is absolutely pathetic. I don’t think a single dust particle actually ended up in the bag! When I set this saw up in my shop I will hook it to the dust collection system and add some guides to help guide the dust, so hopefully this will help the situation.

- I’ve had trouble with the site glass for the miter adjustments getting clogged up with saw dust. It is also somewhat difficult to get the dust out. This is somewhat of an annoyance.

- The saw is heavy. For me, this is not a big deal, as it will be stationary most of the time, but a contractor who will be moving a saw like this from jobsite to jobsite may want to keep this in mind.

- The stock blade is not the greatest, which is to be somewhat expected. The blade is by no means terrible – I did all of the trimwork in my house with the stock blade, but I had to be careful as to which way I was cutting the stock to prevent tear out. There are definately much better blades on the market – an upgrade I will soon make.

Overall I am very pleased with the saw. It does its main job of cutting accurate miters and bevels very well. It seems to be built pretty solid and should offer me years of good service. I give this saw 4 out of 5 stars. I would give it 5 stars if it had a more efficient dust collection system!

-- Randy - Milton, WI

View Randy L. 's profile

Randy L.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Thank you for an excellent review.

In my experience, it seems like collecting dust from a miter saw is always a problem. I have yet to see a miter saw that does this well.

Good review! Thx

View Chinitorama's profile

Chinitorama

105 posts in 1903 days

Great review Randy! I have the same saw and agree with you on all points. The laser on mine however has never really stayed accurate, but I tend to line my cuts up to pencil or knife lines anyway.

-J.

View blyther's profile

blyther

Randy I have a couple questions for you. I’m in the market for a new Miter Saw and was looking at this one today. It’s on sale at Home Depot for $499.99 but includes the nice $199.00 stand for free. I was actually was looking for a 12” Non sliding saw due to my limited space, but with the stand I can move it around to use.
Do you think this is a good price for the two units and are you still happy with your saw?

Thanks for the review!!