Wixey planer readout is incredible

Review by Eric_S posted 06-27-2010 06:36 AM 4023 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wixey planer readout is incredible No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This morning I decided to start my time in the shop by installing this new Wixey Digital Planer Readout. It was very easy to install, although I do recommend a helping hand. It will make setting the leveling screw go much quicker. It took an hour to install from start to finish, mainly because I was the only one around and trying to set and tighten the leveling screw while checking for level was difficult to do with one pair of hands. Besides that, it was a breeze to install and I was amazed at what it did to my planer. It turned it from a pretty good planer into a super accurate planer.

I installed this on a Ridgid R4330 13” planer. The planer has quick stops that I never could get to be accurate. Thanks to Wixey, I can actually use these and it will be exactly what it says.

Here is what the Wixey came with and what I used to install it, plus a wrench for tightening the leveling screw:

Instructions say to first set the planer to any of the quick stops and remove the existing measuring point from planer. I set mine to the 1/8” stop.

It says to install a leveling screw so that the foot of the gauge is level with the planer bed

Once it’s level, remove the cover from tape and stick to side

Replace stock ruler marker with bracket for attaching to wixey gauge

Attach that bracket to the side of the wixey gauge but don’t tighten screw yet

Adjust the gauge so that the top is level with the measurement of the quick stop, 1/8 for me and then tigthen the bracket screws that connect the planer head to the gauge.

It then says to plane a piece of wood so that it actually takes wood off, I used a piece thicker than 1/8, but it doesn’t matter and says its ok. Once the piece planed is flat, do not change the cutter height. Switch the gauge to INC mode and pull the spring gauge up. Slide the wood over the foot leveled in the beginning and drop the spring loaded gauge back onto the wood. It should equal zero, which it did.

From here you can either measure wood by just putting a piece of wood under the spring loaded gauge, take off precise amounts of wood once its measured under the gauge, or just get and accurate planer height adjustment. I think its great and I would recommend this to anyone. The instructions include 4 pictures for each step. One is for Most Planers, two are usually for Dewalt specific models, and the last is either another Dewalt model or Some Other Models. The gauge attaches to the planer over the current measuring gauge via strong adhesive backed tape. However it also comes with screws and a 40mm drill bit for permanent attachment which I may do if I don’t find that the tape holds. It seems to be very strong tape though.

So, with that, I give this 5 stars :)

#1 posted 06-27-2010 06:48 AM

Good review Eric

View wseand's profile

wseand

#2 posted 06-27-2010 10:07 AM

Looks like a nice tool thanks for the review

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#3 posted 06-27-2010 03:27 PM

Eric, I got mine installed the other night and it’s working great. There is one thing that has me puzzled, though: When I attached the part of the mounting bracket that attaches to the planer where the original pointer went, I tried using the holes and screws from the pointer, as the instructions suggested. However, I found that the mounting bracket was not long enough if I set the top of the gauge to be even with the actual planer height. In the end, I used the higher of the original holes and drilled a new one above it.

You didn’t mention having to do that, and we have the same planer, so I’m stumped.

I guess all’s well that ends well, because it works. I agree that this is a great little gadget.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 06-27-2010 03:55 PM

Good review – thank you.

I have several wixey products and I like them all. However, they do seem to use up batteries quickly.

#5 posted 06-27-2010 04:56 PM

Charlie, I actually had the exact same issue. Sorry I forgot to include that in the review(I wrote it late after a night at a ball game).

I too had the same issue. The bracket was about 1/4” too short to attach the gauge to the existing pointer holes. I had to do the same thing as charlie which was to use the top of the preexisting pointer hole as the new bottom hole and drill a new top one using the bracket as a guide to where to drill. This solved all issues and took only a few minutes to do once I realized it wouldn’t connect with the current holes.

Rich, this is my first Wixey gauge and I know I’ll be buying more of their products now. They did include two batteries with it, I wonder if thats why. Luckilly these batteries are pretty standard and can be purchased easily, although AA or AAA would have been easier.

#6 posted 06-27-2010 09:45 PM

Eric,now that you know how to do it , how about you com install mine. that I bought yesterday.
I have the same Rigid planer.
I give you a beer for your work
Is this deal?
Bert!

#7 posted 06-27-2010 10:56 PM

Haha Bert. If I was closer I’d be glad to.

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#8 posted 06-28-2010 03:47 AM

I will have to take another look at my Jet 15 to see how I can mount it, I just looked at the pics at Wixey, and the Jet 15’s they show are a lot newer. I have just kept a HF digital caliper next to the planer, and checked the size of stock coming out the planer, but this looks a lot better, and with street price of 60-70 bucks, affordable, depending on how many mods it will take.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

#9 posted 06-28-2010 01:15 PM

Pete, not sure how it would do on the Jet 15”.

Very nice mod Dave. I take it the Dewalt specific directions just say to tape over the unflat scale?

#10 posted 06-28-2010 01:58 PM

Yeah, it says the leveling screw isn’t needed if the gauge is being bolten on. I had to chisel off a tiny bit of raised plastic at the top and bottom of the existing measuring gauge for the tape to adhere correctly, but this took all of two seconds to do. I’m guessing yours wasn’t that easy.

View Troy's profile

Troy

#11 posted 07-10-2010 04:39 AM

Very nice review, I may try this with my planer. Thank you.

-- Troy Bouffard || Master Sergeant, US Army (Retired) || http://www.birchhillwoodcrafts.com