JET JWBS-14DX

Review by MOJOE posted 06-25-2010 04:40 AM 3736 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JET JWBS-14DX No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I picked this saw up from Overland Tool in Lenexa, Ks today. They let it go for $495.00. Amazon lists this saw for $969.00, so I feel like a found a pretty good deal. Anyway, got it home in 2 boxes, and upon opening, I saw that everything was in perfect condition. I have read reviews on other saws stating a 2-3 hour assembly time, so I figured this would be the same…..WRONG!!!!! Major props to JET here. I opened the box holding the base, and the motor was already mounted. I opened the box with the saw, and all was assembled, including the blade. I opened the hardware, and the assembly went as follows:

1- set base on floor
2- lifted saw out of box and placed on top of base
3- bolted saw to base with 4 included bolts/washers/lock washers/nuts
4- made sure drive pulleys aligned and installed drive belt
5- bolted trunion to saw with 2 included bolts/washers
6- installed table

As I said, the blade was already installed, and though the tension was released, it was properly set. The guides were pretty much set dead on, and the table took only a couple seconds to set square to the blade. So far, I have put in about 30 minutes assembly time. I rotated the wheels, and the blade tracked very nicely. So, after about 35 minutes, I grabbed a scrap of hickory firewood and cut a nice radius. Then I quickly resawed a small scrap of maple. The saw was sturdy, showed no vibration, and was nice and quite. Overall I am very pleased with my purchase.

Now for my complaints…....the JET blade is not the greatest, though I expected this. It will do for now, but a better quality blade is in the very near future. Also, although the fit and finish was very good, the upper wheel did rub a little on the wheel cover door. I basically flexed the door cover slightly, and problem solved. Once again, I am very pleased after day one, and so far would recommend this saw to any friend.
Thanks,
joe

-- Measuring twice and cutting once only works if you read the tape correctly!

View MOJOE's profile

MOJOE

547 posts in 1964 days

View 747DRVR's profile

747DRVR

199 posts in 2052 days

#1 posted 06-25-2010 05:47 AM

Great price for that saw

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#2 posted 06-25-2010 06:19 AM

I have a jet cab saw. add DC. they work well for me. good to see that they are still keeping the the QC up.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View Edward83's profile

Edward83

#3 posted 06-25-2010 08:03 AM

Thats a killer deal

-- Praise God in all things, especially the bad things because they make the best learning experiences.

View Broda's profile

Broda

#4 posted 06-25-2010 08:08 AM

sounds like a good saw
why did you only give it a 4? just the cover or is there something else?

-- BRODY. NSW AUSTRALIA -arguments with turnings are rarely productive-

View MOJOE's profile

MOJOE

547 posts in 1964 days

#5 posted 06-25-2010 12:04 PM

Broda, gave in a 4 because they don’t offer a 4.5 rating. I guess I am a little too picky, so to be a 5 everything would have to be perfect. If I weren’t soooo obsessive about tools being perfect, I would have probably given it a 5.

-- Measuring twice and cutting once only works if you read the tape correctly!

View Broda's profile

Broda

#6 posted 06-25-2010 03:12 PM

thanks for the reply,
guess I would have given it a 4 based on what you’ve written :)

-- BRODY. NSW AUSTRALIA -arguments with turnings are rarely productive-

View surfin2's profile

surfin2

#7 posted 06-25-2010 05:18 PM

Sounds like a real good saw and a great deal…

-- Rick

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

#8 posted 06-25-2010 06:40 PM

I bought a pretty similar Jet 14” a few months ago. Pretty similar experience. Assembly wasn’t difficult except lifting the saw up onto the base was a strain for my old back. I don’t think I had to install a drive belt, pretty sure it was already in place but could be my faulty memory. I’ve been very happy with the saw, hope you find yours as useful as I find mine.

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 2036 days

#9 posted 06-25-2010 07:07 PM

Am i the only one who thinks 5 stars should mean it when above and beyond your wildest dreams. I think your 4 stars appropriate. To me that means very good while 3 means it does what you want with a few troubles 2 means it hardly ever does what it is suppose to do and one means it’s junk and doesn’t work.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

View Howie's profile

Howie

#10 posted 06-25-2010 11:38 PM

be sure and check the wheels for co-planer since you mentioned the upper was rubbing a little.
sounds like you got a great deal.

-- Life is good.

View Eric in central Florida's profile

Eric in central Florida

#11 posted 06-25-2010 11:54 PM

You got a real steal on a nice saw!

-- All glory comes from daring to begin.

View WWorker08's profile

WWorker08

#12 posted 07-02-2010 06:47 PM

Same band saw is on sale today at woodcrart for $509. Today only. No tax when I bought it online and free shipping? Can wait to try it out.

View ladiesman217's profile

ladiesman217

74 posts in 1910 days

#13 posted 03-21-2011 06:48 AM

Great deal on the saw! I got mine in 2005 with the fence (but without the quick change tensioner) and just as you mentioned, assembly was an absolute breeze. It took me maybe an hour tops, and the blade just tracked in moments.
Rock Chalk!

-- Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

View Grit's profile

Grit

#14 posted 05-02-2011 08:59 PM

I just bought one from Craigslist for 550; never been used. It came with a fence, and an easy lift. I am really happy as it is quiet and accurate.
I used it several times, and it cuts through hardwood as easily as softwood.

-- "Be more human."