Grizzly 6" low-speed grinder (Shop Fox)

Review by glassyeyes posted 1525 days ago 4955 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly 6" low-speed grinder (Shop Fox) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This item is currently on sale at Grizzly for $49.99 plus shipping, listed at about $110. It runs at 1725 rpm, and the motor is rated as 1/4 hp, totally enclosed and fan-cooled. It ran quite smoothly right out of the box. The left wheel is 3/4” wide, and coarse grit. The right wheel is 1 1/2” wide, and is white aluminum oxide medium grit. I did the rough grinding on several chisels with the wider wheel, and was very pleased. A number of my chisels and plane irons are in need of regrinding and more careful sharpening, and I think this is just what I need to speed up the process. I may replace the left wheel with a hard felt wheel for honing; the right wheel removes metal rapidly enough for my needs. I bought a better tool guide to go with it, but haven’t installed that yet. Obviously I can’t report on longevity at this time, but so far it seems like a very good deal.

136 posts in 1961 days

Those are the cheapest tool rests that I’ve ever seen ! Where did you find the replacement ones ? The price is certainly right ….nice review : )

View wch's profile

wch

I just got one of these a couple days ago. I replaced the narrow wheel with a Norton 3x wheel, which is supposed to cut faster and run cooler than the stock wheels. Despite the relatively low speed (1725 rpm) and the upgraded wheel, I think I may have blued one of my chisels. I guess I got a little overconfident. :( But I agree that this grinder is a good deal – it’s the least expensive slow grinder I could find.

I built a tool rest like this one:

136 posts in 1961 days

I got the hard felt wheel, and honing compound, from Lee Valley. $29.80 for the felt wheel. Not cheap. I got the tool rest from Grizzly; it seems adequate, but I’ll probably swap my Veritas from the old grinder to the new. I got the Grizzly rest because it WASN’T slotted for the wheel, and the right wheel is pretty wide. And it had a tiny little miter gauge; I haven’t tried it out yet.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

You know, grinders don’t change much in appearance over the years. I have an inexpensive 1/4 hp grinder purchased over 30 years ago from a catalog. It looks just like that one. Yours is probably better, but who knows. I suspect it will be the only grinder I will ever buy. It doesn’t get a lot of use, but it is indispensable for some things.

Thanks for the review….....

Alaska Jim

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

112015 posts in 2209 days

thanks for the review

wch , thanks for the link…pretty nice idea : )

glassyeyes thanks for the additional info : )

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1935 days

That looks like a good one.

I went with the JET “white” ....it does brighten the shop and I think the tools just look more expensive in that color : )

136 posts in 1961 days

UPDATE: FELT WHEEL—

I put the felt wheel on today. I have been busy polishing the stains off of my one good plane, and honing the edges of several plane blades. VERY NICE! I just shaved a patch off my arm to test the skew plane blade. I feel like a kid with a brand-new Erector set. (I guess that reference dates me a bit.)

GRINDER: The felt wheel instructions noted that many grinders can rotate the guards, to make sure you don’t run the blade edge-first on the felt. The guard has three screws—and six holes, neatly aligned to permit 180 degree rotation of the guard. I keep finding things to like on this little grinder—

My wife came out to the shop as I way testing the edge—she thought I’d lost my mind. Again.

View unisaw's profile

unisaw

Apparently Shop Fox no longer makes this slow speed grinder. You can buy the Grizzly 8” for $495. WTH?