Black and Decker's Dragster Lost the Race

Review by Edward83 posted 1396 days ago 5938 views 0 times favorited 37 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Black and Decker's Dragster Lost the Race No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am giving this sander two stars, I went to the HD with plans to splurge on an expensive belt sander, instead I saw this by black and decker. I have a black and decker 1/3 sheet finishing sander that has served me well so I decided to give them a shot on their belt sander (not to mention the temptation of saving some money for a few other things that I could buy for my shop) The features looked nice; adjustable front handle, flip up guard, tapered nose, but the front roller for the belt kept leaving gouges that I had to spend quite a while with a palm sander and some 60 grit paper to remove. The only reason I didn’t give it one star is because I think it’s a good practice sander for youngsters that are just learning what tools are for and it’s low torque is safe enough for the little ones to learn on. Otherwise I’d hook it up to a battery tie a rubber band around the switch and watch it drag race with the rest of the toys.

-- Praise God in all things, especially the bad things because they make the best learning experiences.

109273 posts in 2078 days

It least it looks jazzy

View dbol's profile

dbol

I bought the same one used it once and thought the same. So I I got my air hose blew it off and took it back to Lowe’s. Never did get a another belt sander though.

View Chase's profile

Chase

I have either this one or one similar to it. It was an out of box sale for 20-30 bucks. for that price i cant complain, but i would have to say it isn’t a fabulous piece of equipment.

-- Every neighborhood has an eccentric neighbor. I wondered for years "who was ours?" Then I realized it was me.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Black & Decker was never a great brand – but they were a good brand at one time. They made reasonably good products at relatively low cost. It saddens me to see the deterioration in the quality of B&D products.

Of course, the company also owns the DeWalt, Delta and Porter-Cable brands now and they have positioned B&D as their very low cost brand.

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

I was thinking about getting this one but now I am not.

Thanks

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1387 posts in 1965 days

thanks for the review. Although that tapered nose seems nice for some things, I wouldnt trust myself to be able to control it well enough on flat surfaces. I wonder if you could attach a strip of leather or something onto the pad (under the belt) to raise the belt off it a bit more – that might help prevent the roller from gouging into the surface.

I saw that one at both Lowes and Home Depot. Something about it just screamed STAY AWAY to me… I still don’t have a hand held belt sander. I am actually kind of glad I don’t have that particular unit…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View jim C's profile

jim C

I stay away from ANYTHING with the B&D label.
I just hope their engineering and Mfg. practices don’t bleed down to their subsidiaries. Already, some Porter-Cable tools have become questionable. If so, we all may be buying Festool products. (Which ain’t a bad thing.)

Edward83

Yep next time going with my gut and spending the dough for a decent one, can someone recommend any in particular?

If you want to upgrade from B&D, Harbor Freight sells belt sanders…

But better question is, what are you looking for in a belt sander? Bosch sells a belt sander that I am saving up for… But it is BIG, meant for lots of fast material removal…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 1905 days

Looks like the design team has a bigger budget than the engineering team. If you’re into drag racing, there’s your tool.

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

I have a Porter-Cable 352VS I got 11 years ago for $130 refurbed. It’s a beast – really hogs off the wood-, it’s noisy & heavy, but utterly rugged. You might look for refurb deals on old PCs, DeWalts, Boschs, Milwaukees, Makitas. Stay away from the ‘Dime Store’ brands for this kind of tool.

-- Gene T

View Bearpie's profile

Bearpie

I have a Craftsman 3” x 21” belt sander that I have had since the early 70s and it has served me well and faithfully and I hope it never wears out! I bought this when the Craftsman name meant something. This has sanded all the hardwood floors in 2 of my houses and they were not exactly small houses. However I would not recommend buying Craftsman these days although they rate higher than Black and Decker.

Erwin, Jacksonville, FL

-- Erwin, Jacksonville, FL

Edward83

I agree about craftsman bearpie, though I wasn’t around in the seventies to really know craftsman in their prime. I do have a craftsman table saw that I have run a lot of lumber through but It’s not fantastic, they really try to make it difficult to make jigs for so you will buy their factory ones at outrageous prices, but I’m not rich and have all the time in the world so their jigs can take a walk as far as I’m concerned, I also like a challenge.

View steventyler's profile

steventyler

I bought the Porter Cable 362V back in December to sand a bunch of plywood for some cabinets I was building. This thing has lots of power and was used for hours straight with no problems. It just grinded the wood smooth in no time at all compared to a ROS that I had been using. Awesome tool that has worked very well for me. Only problem is that you definitely need to wear some type of dust mask because of the cloud of dust it creates. Even with a shop vac hooked up to it, there was a tremendous amount of dust in the air. (I am looking at buying a better dust collection system in the near future…)

-- -Steve Kuwait