Upgrade your pen turning

Review by Sawdust2 posted 1491 days ago 2963 views 3 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Upgrade your pen turning No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

There are a number of pen turners like me on LJ. Actually, most are better.
But I’ve lately noticed that the edges of my blanks are just not quite good enough. So I searched around and found John Goodiin.

John engineers his bushings to a greater tolerance than those we get from Rockler, Woodcraft, PSI, etc.

Plus you will be turning between centers and not on a mandrel. That’s going to be the biggest leap in your quality.

So if your skills have caught up with your image and you need to move it up a notch give these bushings a try.

Good product. Good service. Good guy.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

111999 posts in 2173 days

View Sef's profile

Sef

+1 on Johnny’s bushings. They made a huge difference in my turning, and the customer service is top notch.

-- I may not know a lot, but at least I know that I don't know.?.?. I think. http://chathampenworks.com/

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

What am I missing? Why is turning between centers over a mandrel improving my pens?

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at www.renaissancewoodworker.com

View SNSpencer's profile

SNSpencer

I would assume that turning between center will eliminate any “slop” between the inner bushings and the mandrel. After all there is just a smidge of extra clearance otherwise you would not be able to slip the bushings onto the mandrel rod.

I have solved the issue of mandrel shaft flex, or whip, by purchasing the “mandrel saver”. Basically a live center that the mandrel slided into to eliminate the need for extra bushings. Plus it puts the pressure on the blank, no the mandrel shaft.

I will have to give these special bushings a try. I hope that they are availalbe for the kits that I turn.

-- Jef Spencer - Refined Pallet - http://www.etsy.com/shop/RefinedPallet

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

Jeff said it.
Plus, many of us finish the blanks with CA while still on the mandrel and bushings. The CA can build up on the bushing thus securing the blank to the bushing and when you knock it off it can ruin the finish.
JohnnyCNC also sells Delrin bushings to alleviate that concern when finishing.
To me, it wasn’t a concern until I started with the CA finish and then got good at it and then had a few blanks go south.
If I were doing a friction polish finish I wouldn’t worry about it.

Plus, after a few hundred pens you tend to wear down the bushing either from the skew or gouge or the sandpaper.
As the bushings are replaceable items this is a good place to upgrade just because they are more precise.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

OK that makes perfect sense. I haven’t done too many CA finishes because of this reason exactly. I have had to sacrifice a few blanks glued to the mandrel. I’ll give these a try and get back to the CA finish too.

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

369 posts in 2067 days

If you overtighten a mandrel mounted blank you can end up with an oval once the blank relaxes after removing the tension. By overtighten I mean crank down on the end nut so hard it distorts the wood & brass or bring up the tail stock so tight it causes the mandrel to flex.

You can still overtighten a blank turning between centers but in general, you put less pressure on the piece. This isn’t to say it is a magic bullet but it can help.

Sharp tools, high speed and light cuts when roughing the blank all contribute to needing less pressure to hold the blank.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.