A nice, solid, big woodworking press with a LONG stroke.

Review by VanLewis posted 1520 days ago 3906 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A nice, solid, big woodworking press with a LONG stroke. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just moved my shop and got some more floor space, so I went shopping for a bigger drill press. I had basically two criteria: it had to be strong enough to handle timbers, and it had to have a long enough quill-stroke to get to the middle of those timbers. I do some timber framing and some very heavy furniture work, so the usual 14” press wouldn’t really work for me. I discovered that most presses, even 17” presses, have very short stroke, usually 3-4”. This means that you can’t even get to the middle of many of the timbers I work with. I bought the General because it was the only one I could find with a 6” stroke. It was easy to set up, even though I was alone, and everything was good enough for woodworking as soon as I wiped off the shipping grease. After drilling 1,000 holes for a cabinet job [boring afternoon…maybe I’ll move it in front of the window next time], I checked bit runout with a vertical guage, and found it about .003” in 2”: not good enough for machining, but better than you’ll ever need for even the finest woodwork. THe castings are heavy and flat, the machining is of the old-fashioned battleship variety. There are few plastic parts [even the lid is steel]. The Lexan bit-guard arrived cracked, but I don’t need it. It came with a laser guide, which is nice, but I almost always align wood to a stop, so visual guiding shouldn’t be necessary. I like this old Canadian company, and rely on my General mortiser, and I am happy to have this big new press. The table is pretty small, and not very well-milled. I added a Rockler drill-press table with fence, which improves woodshop usability.

I recommend it unless you are milling metal, in which case you’ll neeed something more refined.

-- Van

View VanLewis's profile

VanLewis

112008 posts in 2201 days

thanks for the review

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1928 days

It’s a nice looking machine, how much HP does it have and how much does it cost?

View VanLewis's profile

VanLewis

I should have that in the review: 1 hp, about $650.

-- Van

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1928 days

I should have that in the review: 1 hp, about $650.

Thanks Van, great machine!

View Woodwrestler's profile

Woodwrestler

well you have had this now for a few years, how do you like the drill press?

-- What man is a man who does not make the world a better place?