Popular Woodworking: The 10 Commandments of Finishing

Review by lobro4 posted 1503 days ago 2994 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Popular Woodworking: The 10 Commandments of Finishing No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the download version of this book and saved a few bucks using my discount code from The Wood Whisperer site. It is also available as a DVD.
The download is in the .mp4 format and will play using Quick Time. The purchase, download and viewing with Quick Time was effortless. The download is 3 separate 30-minute videos at 160 MB each. If your download connection is slow, be aware that it may take some time. Once playing, the video quality on full screen lacks in clarity a bit but watching at smaller size does not diminish the information.
The information in the videos was novice woodworker to beginner in content. When I look back to reading Flexner’s book on finishing when I was a newbie, I learned more. As a newbie, seeing some video examples of that same information would have eased my learning curve. Seeing an actual example of rubbing out a finish when I was new to finishing would is one example.
As a more advanced woodworker, I did not pick up much from this video series. I do not want to trash this video as I can see it being a help for the new woodworker.
So, if you know someone who is just starting out, get them a copy of Flexner’s book and put this inside. It will be appreciated by that fledgling woodworker.

-- Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!!

View lobro4's profile

lobro4

112000 posts in 2179 days

The best information I have received about finishing was through Charles Neils Finishing a-z beyond the books and it’s all about color DVDs

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

As an alternative, the videos at the www.finewoodworking.com are pretty good and they have a whole series on finishing.

You have to pay for a membership to that site but I think it is well worth it. I believe (not certain) that they offer a 2 week free trial period.

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

416 posts in 1954 days

I 2nd A1Jims response to this review..

I have done finish work for the better part of 10 years.. Doing it the only way I knew how..spraying lacquer based sealers and finishes…until I got ahold of Charles Neil DVD.. I will tell you watching him talk about rubbing out a finish using soapy water and an orbital sander and following his technique step by step took my finishing to a whole new deminsion..now..my cousin who owns a cabinet shop is asking me for advise because he see’s my finishing looking so much better..and I point straight to Charles website and DVD’s..I won’t knock anyone’s review..I will just add more choices if I know of them..

give his youtube and website a chance..you got nothing to lose and everything to gain.. Just my 2 cents worth.

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

View lobro4's profile

lobro4

Could not agree with you guys more. I have spent lots of time watching video on both Fine Woodworking and Charles Neil’s sites. Never too young to learn!

-- Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!!

View Drewskie's profile

Drewskie

Do unto the wood as you would finish others?
I think Wax on Wax off was karate kid though?

-- I cut it three times and its still to short? www.work-in-wood.com

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2006 days

I have to agree. What you get from Popular Woodworking, and I have a few DVDs, is rather shallow for the price. You get a much bigger bang for your buck from Charles Neil. Even Fine Woodworking for the price of a membership gives you far more information.

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

416 posts in 1954 days

That’s very true..it’s kind of like comparing a M80 firecracker to a stick of dynamite, both have a big bang..but the dynamite is a lot bigger and better..but not to get offtrack of the subject.. Charles not only has fantastic finishing DVD’s..but a ton of DVD’s on everthing else onwoodworking..so there’s a ton of variety.. That’s what’s great about it..

Seriously..it won’t hurt anyone to check it out..I guarantee you will be impressed.

Charlesneilwoodworking.com

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

View WoodNuts's profile

WoodNuts

I am interested in Neil’s A-Z DVD, actually, several of them.
Is this an all inclusive set?

He has others in singles and I don’t want duplicate info or cost.
For example:
Coloring Wood: Dyes & Stains
Controlling Color
Preparing to Color – Repairing Defects
It’s All About the Color

Is the content on these singles excerpted from the set?
Do they contain overlapping info?
Do they compliment the set as a library?

-- ...there's a fix fer dat...