Any sweeter and I woulda had to go to the dentist..

Review by ars posted 1501 days ago 3766 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Any sweeter and I woulda had to go to the dentist.. Any sweeter and I woulda had to go to the dentist.. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For the past several months I’ve been on somewhat of a handtool kick, with a focus on DTs. Like most people I started with a Japanese pull saw, because it was cheaper. I just couldn’t get comfortable with the straight handle and also don’t like cutting on the pull stroke, bottom line was I wanted a western saw.

Anyways I went to my local Woodcraft to pick up a couple unrelated items and I asked one of the employee’s if they could order me one of those new $80 Veritas DT Saw’s. He told me Veritas is anal about which products they allow stores to carry. And luckily for me the DT saw is one of those restricted items.

I proceeded to look at/ molest one of the LN DT saw’s and after a couple minutes I was sold. First off it’s a beautiful looking saw, with that tiger maple handle. Holding the saw was a pleasure in itself, the pistol grip causes your hand to melt around it. I think this is the most “comfortable” tool I own.

I’m a straight newbie when it comes to hand tools so I don’t have much to compare this saw to, but for what it’s worth this is the smoothest, straightest, most user friendly saw I’ve ever used. I was absolutely amazed by how much easier it was to cut square and straight. Actually it can only cut straight, because it’ll bind up if it’s not. That old saying “let the saw do the cutting..” is actually true, all you have to do is point and it’s on auto pilot. And the 15 tpi is not that big a deal to get started, just back off on the pressure and it’ll start.

By no means is that picture I posted a great joint, but I felt like I had to post an example of a DT I made with the saw.

Anyways I recommend this saw to anyone considering, at around $130 it’s worth every penny. My only regret was getting a Japanese saw first.

View ars's profile

ars

View rance's profile

rance

Nice review, thanks. I have to agree with every word you wrote. Funny thing, when I don’t have this saw with me, my next choice is a really cheap Pony saw for cutting DTs.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

I have used this saw for 10 yrs+..if one is a handtool freak this is the saw to have.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112000 posts in 2176 days

Good review

View gblock66's profile

gblock66

Nice review, the same thing happened to me when I first started to cut dovetails, I walked into my local Woodcraft, where a friend worked. He sold me a cheap $20.00 dovetail saw, I was so happy until I got home and tried it. It danced all over the board didn’t cut straight dovetails, so on the search I went for a new saw. . I looked at Rob Cosman’s Dovetail Saw but at $250.00 that’s to much to spend on a saw. I searched the internet, read reviews and settled on the VERITAS DT saw. . .the price was very reasonable at $60.00 and it cuts like a dream. I can’t believe how few stroke I have to make to get to the depth I’m cutting to. So I feel the same way. . .my regret was buying that cheap saw my friend told me to buy. . . .Oh well we all live and learn . . .

View bench_dogg's profile

bench_dogg

I have that saw and really like it. On a whim I picked up a japanese saw, a bit shorter than most—thought the thinner kerf might be better for smaller dovetails—but I still like the LN the best. I tried the Adria—nice saw but the LN just felt better in my hand and I liked the longer blade.

Happy Dovetailing!

View ChuckV's profile (online now)

ChuckV

Yes, this saw is a dream to use. The saw that I had been using for dovetails was a crosscut saw, but cutting dovetails is ripping. The difference was amazing. And you are right, it cuts straight. “Just” get it started correctly, and you cannot miss! I love what the instructions say:
If you had a poor sawing technique before, your new saw will force you to learn the proper sawing technique.

Excellent purchase.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View CottageWorkshop's profile

CottageWorkshop

This sounds like a support group for a bunch of handsaw wierdos… my kinda crowd! I don’t have much time for woodworking these days but I do find time to sneak into the cottage and make a few cuts with my handsaws. Even just practice cuts can be very therapeutic and helps me keep my touch.

-- Visit me in the Cottage Workshop! www.richardmagbanua.blogspot.com

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1941 days

I finally broke down and bought one a little over a year ago and agree it is worth every penny. I also have a veritas DT saw and equally use both saws. If you told me that I would have to give one of the saws up I would keep the LN saw. I feel it is a little better and certainly the most pleasing to the eye. It is truly a heirloom tool that is not so expensive you would be afraid to use. LN hit a home run with this one.

-- Marc

View Brad's profile

Brad

Ars, I recently picked up the thin-plate LN DT saw, and am loving it. I’m practicing making straight cuts and teaching myself the nuances of starting cuts effortlessly. That is one sharp tool. Like yourself, the curly maple is poetry in wood, and it makes me smile looking at it on my pegboard after I’ve made some cuts.

At first, the $40 or so you spent on the Japanese pull saw may feel like a waste. I went the exact same route as you did. But in retrospect, I’m glad I did. I found that while I like the pull saw cutting action, just like you I never warmed to the handle. I chalk it up to a learning experience. It was all part of the path that brought me to my LN DT beauty. And I appreciate her all the more for it.

-- "People's lives are their own rewards or punishments."

View GrumpyBear's profile

GrumpyBear

Great review and great comments.

-- A great woodworker is one who can make a masterpiece in someone else’s shop using someone else’s tools.