This nail gun is great!

Review by ABrown posted 06-16-2010 05:46 AM 2295 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This nail gun is great! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this gun to install 1500 board ft of crown. It’s light weight really helped when useing it
over head. It came with two triggers one for “bump” fire and a standard trigger. Portercable has made this gun oilless, which I love. It also has a belt clip which is very handy. Overall this is an excellent gun to own.

View ABrown's profile

ABrown

#1 posted 06-16-2010 05:49 AM

Thanks for the review

View Swede's profile

Swede

#2 posted 06-16-2010 05:07 PM

Enjoy your new toy air nailers sure help with a trim job.
I like the idea of two triggers I dont personally like bump fire.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 2031 days

#3 posted 06-16-2010 10:32 PM

Congrats on your air nailer! I have a similar gauge Bostitch oiless with angled magazine that I got for a crown install at home and once I found out how well it would toenail and tack pieces for position on other projects besides the crown,I was sold on air nailers.

Now I have 15 gauge, 18 gauge, and a framing nailer. Don’t use the bump on any of them, afraid of that feature, not to mention how easy it would be to double fire.

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#4 posted 06-16-2010 11:00 PM

Looks similar to the DeWalt nailer I’ve got and I love that bad-boy. Congrats on the new toy, I’m sure it’ll pay for itself in no time! Thanks for the review.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#5 posted 06-17-2010 02:37 AM

I have this same nailer plus a PC 18 gauge brad nailer. I don’t use bump fire on any of mine. My next will be a framing nailer and maybe a 23 gauge pin nailer. I also am not a fan of bump fire. This is especially true with a framing nailer. If you do get a double fire, it can be quite dangerous. I have used bump fire when doing roof decking once. It was pretty handy, but I don’t think it saved so much time to be worth the risk.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View Frankie Talarico Jr.'s profile

Frankie Talarico Jr.

353 posts in 2075 days

#6 posted 06-17-2010 03:23 PM

I don’t get how they call a 15 ga. A finish nailer. You’ll need a 5 gallon bucket of filler for 1500 Ln/ft
I only use my 16 Ga. for exterior or very large applications. Unless i need the length for a special circumstance. Crown, I only use an 18 ga. I never had the need for anything bigger than that.

For the record crown shoiuld be measured by Lineal ft. not board ft. You use board ft when you order raw materials.

Thanks for the review though. I happen to use both types of triggers. For crown I like the single shot, like Cato says. I don’t want to double fire on crown.

-- Live by what you believe, not what they want you to believe.

View Moron's profile

Moron

#7 posted 06-17-2010 03:49 PM

getneds…...........obviously has experience doing crown and I agree with him. I often go one step further and use the micro nailer on crown…................no filler required

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View BuilderMan's profile

BuilderMan

#8 posted 06-19-2010 02:42 PM

Thanks for the review on the oiless gun. I have always had good luck with Porter-Cable nailers. I have both a 16ga and 18ga. I also have a framing nailer. But I have to put oil in all of them. My next one will be oiless.

View smalljobkingler's profile

smalljobkingler

#9 posted 01-30-2014 04:40 AM

If your just using it for carpet, you want a staple gun. There are electric ones you can purchase. If you want a nail gun, you will need a compressor. Having said that, the only place you should staple your carpet is at the stairs. You don’t staple it in rooms. You use a carpet stretcher or carpet kicker to stretch it to the walls and the carpet tack strips hold the carpet in place. If you have to install the tack strips, the teeth on the tack strip lean to one side. That side needs to be toward the wall, the difference in nail guns