Ridgid TS3650 Table Saw

Review by John Gray posted 2336 days ago 33027 views 3 times favorited 53 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid TS3650 Table Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this saw for about a year and love it. It was pretty square out of the box and the fence is really steady in contrast with earlier reviews on older models. The ability to move it on wheels is great, it comes with the wheels attached a bonus. There is a 2 1/2” dust collector hook up up under the saw which is so so, it’s hard to control the saw dust on any contractor’s saw. I have had no troubles with it and would highly recommend it.

View Scott Wilson's profile

Scott Wilson

I just opened the box on my new TS3650 last night. I only had about a 1/2 hour so I didn’t get further than reading over the manual. I hope to start assembly tonight. Any tips on the setup?

-- Scott Wilson - Bear with me, I'm learning!

View closetguy's profile

closetguy

Just follow the manual on setup. I’ve had this saw for about three years and I make my living with it. You won’t find a better saw for the price. It kicked into overdrive when I added a sliding table to it.

-- I don't make mistakes, only design changes....www.dgmwoodworks.com

John Gray

For Scott Wilson’s question, Any tips on the setup?
Just follow the owners manual to a “T” and remember that you check the fence scale on the RIGHT of the fence not the left side when the fence is setup to the right of the blade, now guess why I said that. ;-)
Oh yeah don’t forget to wax the cast iron table.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I also have this saw and will give it five stars and two thumbs up. I have a Ridgid 50 tooth thin kerf blade and it cuts edges ready for glue.

View DavidH's profile

DavidH

Thanks for the review John.

I am a new woodworker looking to purchase a contractors saw for the shop, I’m torn between this saw and the delta (36-980) any one have experience with both that would be willing to offer a comparison?

-- David - Houston, Texas. (http://www.justsquareenough.com/)

John Gray

And here’s the specs on the saw:

Toolless blade guard can be easily removed or replaced. 40 tooth carbide blade for fast ripping and smooth crosscuts. IND-I-CUT Alignment Disc accurately aligns cut line with blade. New rip fence design with micro-adjust 36 Ft.’ rip capacity for ripping wider material. Up front controls for easier access. Herc-U-Lift Mobile Base for easy transportation. TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) Motor keeps dust and debris out of motor to extend life. Cast iron extensions with clamping surface allows jigs and featherboards to be clamped in place easily.

Toolless blade clamp can be easily removed or replaced
40 tooth carbide blade for fast ripping and smooth crosscuts
IND-I-Cut Alignment disc-accurately aligns cut line with blade
Up front controls for easier access
Herc-U-Lift Mobile base for easy transportation
TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) motor keeps dust and debris out of motor to extend life
MFG Brand Name : RIDGID
MFG Model # : TS3650

View closetguy's profile

closetguy

When I put the Jessum slider on this saw, I moved the rails to the right and added an extension table for support. This allows me to rip to 42”.

-- I don't make mistakes, only design changes....www.dgmwoodworks.com

View Myron Wooley's profile

Myron Wooley

IMHO, this is the best contractor’s saw on the market. The ability to fine-tune the blade alignment, the casters, the fence, the general fit and finish are what led me to buy this saw over all the others when I was rebuilding my shop.
The only reason I don’t have it any longer is that I had a shot at a great deal on a Unisaw, so I sold this one to a classmate to help pay for it.

-- The days are long and the years are short...

View JLYoung's profile

JLYoung

I bought the TS3605 about 6 months ago and love it. One thing I’m impressed with is the splitter and blade guard and how simple it is to detach it and reinstall it. It coomes off and goes on with a simple thumb screw so I’m very diligent at putting it back on whenever I’m ripping stock. One thing to note is that the thickness of the splitter plate precludes the use of a thin kerf blade. I don’t know this from personal experience but heard it on wood talk online from Tom Iovino who also has this saw. I know many people prefer to use a thin kerf blade with a contractor type saw due to the lower horsepower motor. That being said though, I recently resawed some red oak with my TS by putting the blade all the way up, running my piece through once, flipping it end for end and running through again. The saw didn’t bog down at all using the standard kerf blade that comes with the saw. A Ridgid 40 tooth combination blade.

View DGunn's profile

DGunn

I use a Forrest WWII thin kerf on mine with the stock splitter with no problems. A lot of thin kerfs are different though. Most are 3/32”, some are a litte thicker, some thinner. I guess it depends on the brand and style of the blade.

I too love this saw.

View Jurg's profile

Jurg

I’m 90% sure I’m buying this saw used this weekend, minus the Herculift. Anything to keep an eye out for? Any ideas on where to get a replacement lift (my HD does not stock them). I’ve seen two of the lifts on various craigslists around the country, but if anyone has one they want to sell, I’m all ears! (eyes?)

John Gray

Jurg, FYI the lift comes with the saw as standard equipment at no extra cost. I’m sure others will agree that the lift works great.

View sandflea's profile

sandflea

I’ve had this saw for about a year and a half and I love it. I’ve cut 3/4” Dados with my Freud dado stack and it does great. The dust collection is decent when hooked up to my Ridgid shopvac. I really like the thumbwheel micro-adjuster on the fence. I use that on almost every cut. I have a very small shop so the integral casters were an absolute necessity for me. I have found the built in scale to be dead on when I use my Freud GlueLine blade. There are times when I wish I had a 3hp motor in it, but that will have to wait till I get my pennies saved up for a Powermatic. Even when that day comes I will keep this saw. If I had to do it all over again I would buy this saw in a heartbeat. Can’t beat it for the price.

-- Sawdust is life

View Bob A in NJ's profile

Bob A in NJ

I too have this saw and for the most part like it. It’s large table and extensions makes cutting sheets good easy and it is a big improvement over my old 10” Sears best contractors saw I bought 25 years ago. Power is ample and I’ve had no trouble cutting through walnut and cherry thats up to 4/4 thick.

The lift system works very well and I wish I had this type of wheels on my other tools. Dust system is ok but I keep a 2” flex hose in permanent position so I don’t have to keep reaching up underneath the saw to connect it. When connecting the hose, it’s ackward reaching through the back.

The only downside to this saw is the blade seems to be a bit too far back on the table I seem to have to lean over too far once the wood clears the blade. I’m 5”9” tall but seem almost off balance when pushing towards the back of the saw.

Overall, I’m very happy with this purchase.

-- Bob A in NJ

View coolbreeze's profile

coolbreeze

I got one and I love it. 2 years and still going strong…

-- Jason, AL