Ridgid MS1290LZA & MS-UV Mobile base

Review by lilredweldingrod posted 1502 days ago 5790 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid MS1290LZA & MS-UV Mobile base No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had my Ridgid miter saw for two years now. At first I found it required more room in my shop than I had. After working around the large footprint, I bought the MS-UV mobile cart. I feel that I have the perfect combination now. The saw with a Freud D1296N blade is a dream to work with. And now that I have added the mobile base, my problem with the footprint is a thing of the past.
Being in a wheelchair makes moving most shop equipment a dreaded chore. But the large wheels and the balance of this unit make it a snap to roll out and setup. At the end of my work, putting this mobile unit away for the night is as easy as pie.
The gas shocks make every thing very easy to operate. And having a bad back, I have found that this setup is very easy to raise to a working position and collapse to the storage position.
My only regret is that I did not buy them at the same time.I would recommend this setup to any woodworker. I know you will be as happy with yours as I am with mine.

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

111999 posts in 2174 days

It looks like a wonderful set up ,thanks for the review

View BritBoxmaker's profile

BritBoxmaker

Good review my friend. Those Frued blades are good, aren’t they?

-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com

View Gary's profile

Gary

6972 posts in 2030 days

Good looking setup. Is the height an issue?

-- Gary, DeKalb Texas only 4 miles from the mill

View Sawdust4Blood's profile

Sawdust4Blood

I have one of these (the MS-UV mobile base that is) as well but I use mine as a mobile base for my DW734 planer. It works great for that chore as well. It gives me a mobile but stable base that doesn’t eat a huge footprint when stored and the large wheels roll easily as you point out. Even the side support rollers make great extended in/out feed support.

-- Greg, Severn MD

View patron's profile

patron

12955 posts in 1938 days

i’ve been thinking in this direction for a while ,
thanks for the review ,
it is good to hear how it really works .

glad it makes it easier for you to work ,
a plus for all of us too .

View Juansnapon's profile

Juansnapon

I have one of the older MS-UV mobile base when they first came out and its on my Makita 10” sliding miter saw. Makes it easy to store and to use. I love it as well the only problem is that the shocks aren’t working as well and many times it dose not lock unless I lock it into position. It used to be automatic locking, but other than that everything still works great.

-- Juan, Fresno CA.

View rsladdwoodworks's profile

rsladdwoodworks

you got to love it if it fits the chair

-- Robert Laddusaw and no I am not smarter then a fifth grader ( and no I canot spell so if it is a problem don't read it ))

I bought a Grizzly stand for my saw. It is OK but not great.
I would not recommend it.
I saw the Ridgid stand last week at my local HD, it is quite a bit more expensive but it is also more substantial, a better stand

View aimlesscat's profile

aimlesscat

I use the same stand with my DeWalt DW718 and I have to agree that it has been a great setup. My only complaint is that the MS-UV is pretty heavy at close to 100lbs. It keeps my garage neat but I’m not sure that I would want to load it into a truck everyday.

View ChrisForthofer's profile

ChrisForthofer

I also have one of these and I also love it. Had to drill my own holes to mount my saw but that was a very minor gripe. Gald you like yours :)

-- -Director of slipshod craftsmanship and attention deficit woodworking

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

I I have been eyeing this stand for awhile. I have a vision of my shop being almost completely mobile (bench included) someday due to space issues. This stand looked versatile and well made. Thank you for the confirmation with your review.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hi Rand,

Great review on this stand.

Lee

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

I have the stand & it works great. Haven’t used it terribly recently, but if I remember the legs without the wheels on them were a touch wobbly. Only one of the 2 sides for the non-wheeled legs had a locking mechanism on them relying on the fact it was attached to the leg that locked to stabilize it. That leads to some slop, but not too bad.

It holds the saw well, but with the saw hanging off of the frame, it’s not the most space efficient position to store. Not sure how it could be done better really, but have been annoyed trying to squeeze everything into my undersized shop a few times.

I’d give a solid 4 out of 5 & definitely recommend it.

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

Gary, The height is not that much of a problem. Everything is right at eye level.
Mario, Everything is standard out of the box. I roll it out everyday and bring it in every night.
David C,I would encourage you to get one. My whole shop is on mobile bases except the router table.
Lee, now all I need is one of your in feed units to be setup right.
Fallon, When I’m in the shop, it is tight with everything inside, but I usually set up on the drive for the space I need. Rand