A Stellar Clean Cutting Blade from CMT

Review by knotscott posted 06-11-2010 11:38 AM 4514 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Stellar Clean Cutting Blade from CMT No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After being disappointed with the performance of not one, but two different 40 tooth CMT 213.040.10 general purpose blades within the past year, I was beginning to doubt CMT’s quality commitment, but the CMT Orange 210.080.10 has restored my faith. I’ve tried several other CMT products with excellent results, so I’m not surprised by the stellar showing of their premium 80 tooth Hi-ATB blade.

The CMT 210.080.10 is a full kerf 80T Hi-ATB fine cutoff blade with a steep 40° top bevel for super low tearout in crosscuts, plywood, melamine, and other manmade laminates. It’s got a 5° hook angle making it suitable for use on a table saw, radial arm saw (RAS), compound miter saw (CMS), or sliding CMS (SCMS). The 210.080.10 also features a bright orange protective coating, laser cut expansion slots, and large C4 carbide tips. Other comparable blades are the Infinity 010-080 Ultrasmooth, Forrest Duraline, Freud LU80R010 (formerly the F80/F810), Amana MB10-800, among others. The CMT is as good as any of those that I’ve tried.

The Hi-ATB grind is essentially a modified alternate top bevel (ATB) grind that has an exaggerated top bevel of approximately 25° to 40°, and has the least amount of exit tearout compared to any other grind (assuming all other parameters are equal). A bevel angle of 40° is about as steep as it gets and presents even less tearout. It makes an amazingly clean cut in plywood, and amazingly clean crosscuts. The 210.080.10 has too many teeth to rip efficiently, but is an excellent dedicated crosscut blade…don’t ask a piano teacher for tennis lessons, and don’t ask a Hi-ATB crosscut blade to rip thick cherry! This is a purebred specialty crosscut/ply blade and excels in that limitated application only. You may think you’re getting pretty good crosscut and plywood results from your premium general purpose blade (WWII, Super General, Fusion, Gold Medal, etc. ), but there’s no question that an 80T Hi-ATB blade made with this level of quality and precision will outperform a comparably made premium 40T blade. However there’s never a free lunch. One downside of a Hi-ATB grind is that it’s the least durable of all blade grinds. Those fearsome sharp tips tend to abrade more rapidly than other grinds. For hobby use you should still get good edge life, but it’s not such a good choice for higher volume applications. If you need the ultimate in cut quality and are willing to pay for a blade that operates superbly in a narrow range of cuts, this blade is a great choice.

View DAWG's profile

DAWG

#1 posted 06-11-2010 11:59 AM

-- Luke 23: 42-43

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

#2 posted 06-11-2010 03:28 PM

I love your reviews. You know your stuff. Especially when it comes to saws and blades!

View FatScratch's profile

FatScratch

189 posts in 1961 days

#3 posted 06-11-2010 03:55 PM

Like the above post says, you know your stuff and provide great reviews. Thanks – you have saved me money in the past with these well documented reviews.

View Mike67's profile

Mike67

96 posts in 1994 days

#4 posted 06-11-2010 04:43 PM

Thanks for the review! This is very helpful give all the recent CMT sales.

View bigjoe4265's profile

bigjoe4265

#5 posted 06-11-2010 04:50 PM

Knotscott,

I recently purchased a Freud Diablo blade similar to this. It’s the 84 tooth D1084L. I haven’t had the opportunity to work with the blade yet, but was wondering if you had worked with it or knew how it faired?

Thanks,

Bigjoe

#6 posted 06-11-2010 04:56 PM

Always great reviews Scott. well done,

View childress's profile

childress

#7 posted 06-11-2010 05:04 PM

I have this blade also and love it, but I’m curious why you weren’t happy with the general 40T. That one is my absolute favorite as I almost never take it out of the table saw. Unless I clean it. It also cuts melamine surprisingly well. Couldn’t do without it…Thanks

-- Childress Woodworks

View Misesfan's profile

Misesfan

#8 posted 06-11-2010 05:36 PM

#9 posted 06-11-2010 07:16 PM

Joe – I haven’t used the Diablo D1084L, but I know that it’s a thin kerf blade, has a -5° hook, and has a triple chip grind (TCG) as opposed to a Hi-ATB. It probably won’t slice as cleanly as Hi-ATB, but with the high tooth count it should be very clean nonetheless, and will wear like iron and will do well in very brittle materials…possibly even some non-ferrous metals. I have tried the LU80 back when it was the F80…very impressive blade.

Childress – Both of the 40T CMT 213.040.10 blades that I used left fairly rough cuts for what is supposed to be a premium blade…..not even glue ready, which I don’t consider to be a major feat for a decent blade. I’d rate the cut quality in the “C-” to “D” range on an old school report card scale of A-F. I assumed the first one was just a defect that slipped through, but the odds of getting a 2nd one has me wondering if they’re just not that good of a blade, especially considering that they were sourced many months apart from different retailers, so I can’t chalk it up to a bad run. I do read of others that have been happy with it, but the CMT 40T didn’t perform nearly as well as my Infinity Super General, WWII, Tenryu Gold Medal, Ridge Carbide TS2000, Tenryu RS25550, RS25540 ($35), LU84, LU86, LU88, Leitz 40T or 50T, Amana 610504, Oshlun 40T ($25), DeWalt DW7657, DW7640, Delta 35-7657 ($27 shipped), Final Cut 40T, or even the Craftex Blue Tornado ($35 Cdn). Disappointing to say the least. I’m considering writing to the company, but from my past dealings with them I suspect there’s a language barrier, as the blades are made in Italy and is an Italian owned company.

View bigjoe4265's profile

bigjoe4265

#10 posted 06-11-2010 07:49 PM

Thanks Knott,

I primarily bought the Diablo blade for cutting UMHW plastic and double-sided melamine, so hopefully it will work well. Can you elaborate as to why the Hi-ATB blades cut cleaner or what the difference is?

Bigjoe

#11 posted 06-11-2010 10:02 PM

Hi-ATB:

There are several other factors in play, but the finer the tip, the higher the PSI, thus better shearing action and smaller fibers at the exit of the cut.

TCG:

The triple chip grind actually chamfers off the most delicate part of the tip, which gives it excellent durability. Note that the chamfered tip is alternated with a flat top raker to give more of a flat bottom, but also note that the chamfered tip protrudes slightly above the raker which helps it have less tearout than a straight FTG blade.

View sandt38's profile

sandt38

#12 posted 06-13-2010 05:15 PM

So being a mechanic, as well as a speaker builder I am a part number kind of guy. In many instances the part number is indicative of certain aspects of the product itself.

So perhaps someone can shed some light in the first number of the CMT part number. I have taken it apart to understand that 210-080-10 is (starting from the front) a (210-080-10) 10 inch blade with (210-080-10) 80 teeth, at a (210-080-10) 10 degree rake. Clearly it is easy to ascertain the blade itself with the part number, and it will make it easier for my to pick a blade out knowing the part number, rather then looking at each description.

Also, I have considered some CMT blades for cutting MDF (I just have a hard time running my WWII through MDF) and was wondering why you have been disappointed in a couple of the other CMT blades you purchased. Being fairly new, I asked a question in the forum and received some replies that I should look into 50 or 60 tooth TCG, so this may not be the ideal blade for me, but perhaps a 210-060-10 (based on my understanding of their part numbers) may be a better fit. But if you have been unhappy, perhaps I should scratch it off my list and stick with the Freud or Oshulns I have been considering instead. My local lumber supplier (I am fortunate to live not 20 minutes away from Wall Lumber ) carries CMT and I am hard pressed to believe they would sell a less then stellar blade, as they are very particular. But perhaps the degradation of quality would be a fairly new thing…

Thanks for your time, and the great review!

-- Got Wood? --- Somewhere along the way the people in Washington forgot that they are there to represent the people, not to rule them.

#13 posted 06-13-2010 08:55 PM

Hi Sandt38 – I’m not certain what the first 3 digits of the CMT system are, but am fairly confident that it’s not indicative of blade geometry. The middle 3 numbers tell the tooth count, and the last two numbers indicate diameter. In several cases the 2nd and 3rd digit appear to indicate full or thin kerf version of the same blade…ie: 215.050.10 is a full kerf 50T ATB/R configuration, and the 216.050.10 is the thin kerf version. Similarly, the 213.040.10 is a full kerf 40T ATB blade, while the 214.040.10 is the TK version.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend against all CMT blades, because many have proven to be excellent. The 213.040.10 is the only CMT blade I’ve been unhappy with, but others have had good results with it, so it could boil down to the luck of the draw of me getting two defective blades….and what I’m calling defective may even be within their tolerances…it just wasn’t what I expected. If you try enough blades, you’ll eventually get a defective Forrest, Freud, Infinity, Amana, etc…none are immune.

I think I was one of those recommended a TCG 60T for MDF in your post. Your MDF needs may differ from mine, but MDF is usually for utilitarian projects, so I’d be very willing to grab a less than premium blade if there are some decent deals available…something like an Oshlun 40T, 50T, or 60T ATB’s will do a nice job in MDF, as will the 40T Delta 35-7657….spend the $15 you save on lunch! (and have a decent back to your WWII) From a theoretical perspective, the Freud LU82 or CMT 281.060.10 (CMT 221.060.10 is the same blade with the orange coating) might have some advantage in edge life, but it’d be minimal, and I doubt you’d notice much difference in the cut.