Wonderful Plane

Review by Bud posted 1506 days ago 4425 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wonderful Plane Wonderful Plane No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A tear came to my eye when I unpackaged this plane. I love everything about it. It’s heavy and all machined surfaces are smooth and flat. Other than honing the iron and waxing the sole no tuning is required.

This is a very versatile plane. The three bevel-up planes from Veritas all accept the same size iron making them interchangeable. This is especially relevant with bevel up planes because the effective cutting angle can be changed by altering the the bevel angle of the iron, Veritas offers three pre-ground bevel options for these planes.

Great quality, great price.

IMG_0941

IMG_0952

111999 posts in 2173 days

Wow that’s great. Thanks for the review.

View jerryo's profile

jerryo

Thanks Bud, My wife asked me what I wanted for father’s day and I said a LN low angle jack. Maybe I’ll ask her for this one instead. Have you planed any end grain or highly figured wood yet? Jerry

Bud

Yes and yes, the blade supplied with the plane (25 degree bevel) works well for end grain and softer woods but for hardwoods and figured grain I use the 38 degree bevel. Lee valley also supplies a 50 degree bevel for extreme figure and reversing grain. You can also just hone whatever micro-bevel you want on the blade that comes with the plane.

I looked at buying the LN, I’m sure you wouldn’t be disappointed with that one either. Hope you don’t mind my highlighting the differences: The LN plane accepts the same size iron as their bevel-up smoother but not the bevel-up jointer. The LN version is also a little smaller in length and width and weighs less, that could be a pro or con depending on what you’re looking for. LN now offers the hotdog attachment for shooting.

Veritas planes have the set screws to minimize blade shift in use and offers more pre-ground bevels in both O1 and A2 steel. As I mentioned in the review all three bevel-up planes from Veritas accept the same size iron (they also produce a low-angle smoother outside of this family that is not compatible). If you are interested in adding a smoother to your family with a compatible sized iron to the jack, the LN BU smoother is sized like a #4 1/2, while the Veritas is sized more like a #4… something to consider.

And of course – Veritas is cheaper.

I meant the opposite, LN BU smoother is sized like a #4, LV sized like a #4 1/2

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

Nice review, I just got the low angle skewed block plane,... Oh My , talk about sweet.. these guys really have this plane thing in the bag IMO

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

great review. definitely on the list. I just got their skew block plane and it’s just a fantastic tool.

FYI: LV has 2 BU smoother, the Bevel Up Smoother:

and the Low Angle Smoother:

Both are bevel up low angle, but the dimensions are slightly different.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Chris Pond's profile

Chris Pond

This is why I said to save a little money when buying your “jack plane” or you ever day planes. Get this from yard sale, this will allow you to buy a good LV Smoothing plane. There is nothing like it!

Congratulation!!

-- Chris, Summerland BC

View wch's profile

wch

I also have the Veritas Low-Angle Jack and I agree that it’s fantastic. I’ve used it to make wooden planes because I can’t afford to buy many Veritas or Lie-Nielsen planes.

Instead of getting the 38 and 50-degree blades, it’s probably easier in the long run to get 25-degree blades and hone a microbevel at those higher angles. It will save you work since there will be less material to remove at each honing, and it won’t weaken the support for the cutting edge since it’s the other side that is resting on the bed. (This is different from bevel-down blades, where a very acute primary bevel will leave more of the blade unsupported.)

View Todd Clare's profile

Todd Clare

Man, that’s a gorgeous shaving. I’d frame that if I produced something like that

-- Todd (Denver, CO -- Highlands)

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

I’ve got the same plane along with several other Veritas planes. I’ve never been disappointed with anything I’ve bought from Lee Valley. If anything goes wrong with an order their customer service is the best I’ve ever run across. Send them an e-mail and there will be an answer within a few minutes. Problems always resolved within minutes.

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

View jsheaney's profile

jsheaney

I have the set of three: the jack, the jointer and the smoother. I also have five blades, including the toothed blade. All of these planes use the same size blades, so this is an awesome, versatile system of bench planes. I love them and use them alot. The jack can also be used for shooting, making it that much more useful.

I only have one criticism. Bevel up blades take longer to sharpen and tend to dull faster. I added a Lee Neilsen #7 standard angle jointer (LV doesn’t have one) to my collection and it’s a real workhorse. I do most of my flattening with it and then switch to a finely set LV jointer with whatever blade I need for the wood I’m working.

-- Disappointment is an empty box full of expectation.

View garriv777's profile

garriv777

That pic with the rice paper thin shavings coming out of the plane is a thing of beauty…..:). I have got to get this plane myself. Thanks for the review.