Craftsman Bandsaw Fence - good bang for the buck

Review by Jeison posted 1535 days ago 8707 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman Bandsaw Fence - good bang for the buck Craftsman Bandsaw Fence - good bang for the buck Craftsman Bandsaw Fence - good bang for the buck Click the pictures to enlarge them

I spotted this while wandering through Sears the other day, and since my little 10” benchtop bandsaw doesn’t have a fence, and I plan picking up the Porter Cable 14” that Lowes has (which I know does not come with a fence) I figured for $40, this universal fence (which boldly claims to fit all models of bandsaws) would be a good investment (Being a hobbyist and “weekend woodworker” I don’t need the hyper-accuracy and features of one of the $150+ models…i WANT it, i just dont NEED it lol!)

At any rate, so far I’m very pleased, There are only a few parts, and it took all of about five minutes to figure out how it went together and get it mounted, and it mounts rock-solid. The rail mounts to the edge of the table with some strange looking but very effective clamps, so there is no drilling necessary (although if your table has mounting holes on the edge it would be a simple matter to drill through the aluminum rail to bolt it on) The fence (also aluminum) mounts to the rail with a simple bracket, which has a guide that fits into the T-slot to keep it at a right angle.

As you can see the fence has several t-tracks (the front ones accept standard T-bolts, the top and rear also takes 1/4 bolts as well. The rail is 14” long, and the fence is 18”. It also has a resaw guide (I realized I forgot to take a good picture of it – you can see it in the second pic from the back, I’ll post a better picture upon request if anyone is interested)

The only real downside that I could think of is that there is no way short of using shims to adjust the fence, then again in my case it mounted perfectly square to the miter slot/blade right out of the box, so its not an issue for now (and it IS just a $40 fence, I think it gives good value as is)

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

View schloemoe's profile

schloemoe

Looks like a pretty nic fence to me I’ll bet you get plenty of use out of it…................Schloemoe

-- schloemoe, Oregon , http://www. woodrehab.blogspot.com

Jeison

its a definite step up from what I was using before!

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

Looks a lot like my Kreg bandsaw fence I paid a few bucks more for. Mine mounted to the holes already in the bandsaw and it has a fence alignment adjustment, but like I said, I had to pay a few bucks more. Also, I had to pay extra for my resaw accessory. Looks like you got a good buy to me.

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

View David Kirtley's profile

David Kirtley

I picked up the fence from HF for my saw and I look at this one and I am a bit jealous. I like the t-slots that are on this one. Mine is just smooth aluminum.

-- Woodworking shouldn't cost a fortune: http://lowbudgetwoodworker.blogspot.com/

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

I own that same fence. My experience hasn’t been nearly as positive. It works, more or less, but it is a nuisance to work with, and those goofy clamps simply do not hold the fence in place reliably…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Jeison

huh, i probably wouldn’t have got it either if i had read those reviews first lol! I found the clamps work very well with my table, although I suppose it depends on the particular table design, they are kinda wierd (I’ll chaulk it up to luck be happy lol)

112008 posts in 2201 days

thanks for the review

View AKWoody's profile

AKWoody

What about adjustment for drift?

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1928 days

I may pick one up after seeing the photos. Thanks for posting this Jei’son.

Jeison

@AK…there is no way to adjust it, its about as basic as a fence gets, tho if you got creative with some shims or used an auxiliary fence you could probably compensate.

AKWoody, No drift adjustment what so ever… It’s literally just as basic of a T-square style fence as you can get. You want parallel adjustment? Shim it between the table and the fence where it clamps on…

I am honestly not slamming this fence. It DOES work, and work well for what it is. Just don’t get too mad when a clamp slips, or it doesn’t behave like a $150.00 Jet, or Kreg fence…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

Geee-eez, did I pay that much for my Kreg? Glad I sent the wife to pick it up for me. Fence works well and I like it. It is fully adjustable. But I’m afraid to even ask her if that’s what we paid for it.

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

View Jimbo4's profile

Jimbo4

I bought the PC band saw at Lowe’s last week – it runs like a singer sewing machine right out of the box !
NO tracking or tension problems what – so – ever ! Cut some 6×6 oak, 2 year old 4” cherry tree that had
been laying in my back yard for over 2 years. Probably the 1-1/2 horses under the hood. I also need a
fence to with my fencless saw. Still looking. An ideas out there. Table is 16×16.

-- BELT SANDER: Used for making rectangular gouges in wood.

View BobE's profile

BobE

I got this fence attached to a used 14” bandsaw I recently acquired. There is quite a bit of play in my fence from front to back. I have to clamp the back side of the fence to the table to keep it in place while cutting. I figured this was intentional to allow for drift adjustment, but maybe it’s just worn out or possibly modified by the previous owner? No clamps on mine the previous owner drilled out the table and bolted the front guide onto it. I’m a little bummed about that since the table already had a set of mounting holes drilled and tapped from the factory. The front guide covers up the entrance to the slot on the front of the table. I imagine being able to quickly attach and remove the front guide without tools would be handy. Now I’m also a little bummed to find out I didn’t get the pivot resawing guide with mine.
I would say it would be worth $40 new.