Timber Wolf 3/4" x 2-3 Variable Resaw Bandsaw Blade

Review by michaelray posted 1516 days ago 4968 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Timber Wolf 3/4" x 2-3 Variable Resaw Bandsaw Blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was resawing some old reclaimed white oak last week when my resaw blade snapped in half. Not a pleasant sound. Luckily I was in the middle of a cut, I had just finished cutting a piece and stepped a couple of feet away to grap the next piece of wood. That’s when I heard the huge band. Even though I had never experienced this before I knew exactly what it was. The 3/4 resaw blade bought I originally bought with the saw from Grizzly had snapped at the weld.

So I decided to call the folks at Suffolk Machinery and order a Timber Wolf blade since I had read so many positive reviews here at LJ’s. I got the blade in the mail yesterday and let me say I was not disappointed at all. Customer service was excellent, the CSR was able to help me pick out a blade based on what I told her I needed it for. Very friendly and knowlegdable. The blade itself? Way more than I was expecting, I mean, WOW! I can’t believe the night and day difference between how this new blade and the old one cut through the old white oak. Maybe I’m not comparing apples to oranges here but this is a superb product and I can say for sure that the good folks at Suffolk have earned themselves a new customer.

For anyone considering a new bandsaw blade purchase I can highly recommend this company and product.

Thanks for looking.

Michael

-- http://dbcww.wordpress.com

View michaelray's profile

michaelray

195 posts in 2058 days

View Phil53's profile

Phil53

Thanks for the review. I agree, I have used their blades about six months now, and I cut a lot of bodark (4” thick and a little bigger sometimes. The 1/2” blade I use is a bi-metal blade and it still cuts like new.

112001 posts in 2181 days

Thanks for the review and the good tip

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

Thanks for the review. I’ll keep the blade and supplier in mind when I order blades again.

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

good to hear you’re back in business.

FYI: I noticed you have a 14” bandsaw. If so, this may be the culprit to why your blade broke. although some 14” BS state that they can handle a 3/4” blade, which they CAN, the BLADE has a hard time rotating around the smaller 14” wheels which creates more tension on the blade, and can cause it to snap off at it’s weak point – the weld, as you have noticed.

just my $0.02, but I think that sticking to narrower blades on 14” BS may be better in the long run.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View michaelray's profile

michaelray

195 posts in 2058 days

Thanks for the comments PurpLev. I’ve heard that before but the bandsaw is specifically made for resawing and the specs show it’s capable of handling the 3/4” blade. It’s a Grizzly G0457. But I appreciate the advice and will keep it in mind if I experience the same issues in the future. I’m planning on making a tension gauge soon with some plans I found online.

-- http://dbcww.wordpress.com

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

I too have the G0457, which by the way is a great BS. I also am a staunch user of Timber Wolf blades and I would also recommend using a 1/2 blade for re-sawing. I’ve tried both the 4 and 3 inch tpi blade and like using the 3tpi blade the best, cuts like butter with no burn marks and smooth finish as well. Enjoy using your BS and TW blade and stay safe…BC

View deeman's profile

deeman

I use the 1/2” 3TPI on my 14 inch delta and have had no problems at all

-- Dennis Trenton Ohio And life is worth the living just because He lives!

View Viking's profile

Viking

Michael;

I think that Purplev has a good point. I use the Timberwolf 1/2”-4 tpi blade for resawing on my Rikon 14” Deluxe BS and it resaws great and a at good feed rate regardless of what I am cutting.

Good luck!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

I used to have a 14” 3/4 hp resaw set up but found that 3/4” was just too much for it.
It bogged down in deeper cuts with green wood and required far too much tension to get a decent cut.
I settled , like others, with a 1/2” 4 TPI.
I now ahve a 18” 2 hp BS and my troubles arevery few.
I used Timberwolf blades extensively on the 14” and Supercut 1/2” for resawing.
I now limit my resawing to Highlander Woodslicer blades which have become my favorites.

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2069 days

I received the same advice from Carter. So far the 1/2 blade does everything I’ve asked of it. Good luck, BTKS

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View Binn's profile

Binn

Hey guy’s,
I have the Laguna 16” HD BS and bought their blade that cost me $40.00 and it did not last at all. What blade would you guy’s recommend for resawing on a 16” ?

-- Barry, Louisiana