Remington 16" Electric Chainsaw

Review by Mick posted 02-28-2008 08:09 PM 4631 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Remington 16" Electric Chainsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased one of these at a local hardware store for trimming limbs in my yard and doing rough cut of logs for the rustic furniture I build.

It does have plenty of power and minimizes weight. I actually used it to cut down an entire (dead) 15ft apple tree in my yard. The apple wood is drying in my “bone yard”.

The chain tension will not hold for more than a few minutes.

The chain that comes with it has such a low tooth count compared to chain speed that it chews through the wood rather than cutting it. I have to replace the chain before I can use it very much even for trimming trees. The cutting action is so rough (due to the chain) that it makes it very uncomfortable to use for very long.

The oil reservoir continually leaks a small amount out the cap if the saw is hung by the built in handle hook.

If you’re going to buy one of these electrics I would recommend buying a used one. Then throw away the chain that comes with it and get one made at your local hardware store. Store it in horizontal position only, don’t hang it.

-- The name is "Splinter"... I'm the son-of-a-son-of-a-carpenter

View Mick's profile

Mick

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

#1 posted 09-07-2009 03:56 PM

Hey, nice job. I have one of these too, bought it for $20 on sale. I agree with all you have said, my bar oil even leaks in horizontal, I only add enough oil for the job at hand. Does cut rough, but It is quieter than my 20” gas saw, so I geuss every tool has a place where it shines.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

5386 posts in 1918 days

#2 posted 06-04-2010 05:38 PM

I have one of those chain saws. My results have been different than yours.

#1. This thing lacks pretty severely in power. But it IS an electric, and provides as much power as a person can reasonably expect from an electric Chain Saw.

#2. The chain tension on mine slips, but cleaning the threads of the tension bolts will allow it to hold tension just fine.

#3. The chain that comes with it is utter garbage. I need to replace my chain again, but I swapped in an Oregon chain and it worked MUCH better than the stock POS.

#4. The oiler cap on mine doesn’t leak. I store my horizontally anyway because that is the space I have available for it, but no leakage…

All in all if I used a chain saw less often than I do, this would be fine with a good aftermarket chain, but it leaves a LOT to be desired when you use it a lot. I am in the market for a good 20” gasser now…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#3 posted 06-04-2010 05:56 PM

These are cheep chain saws I’m afraid the results are the same no matter what brand name it is.