Can't beat them!!

Review by b2rtch posted 06-03-2010 03:21 AM 4509 views 4 times favorited 46 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Can't beat them!! Can't beat them!! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

These hold down cost the exorbitant price of $1.97 each!!!!!

I read about other “famous” brand hold downs which break the first time you use them.
These did not break after about ten tries and they in fact hold , as they are supposed to do .
Excellent value.
One more time, thank you Harbor Freight,my very favorite store.
( just for Greg: this is a full review with pictures not from Harbor Freight ’s website but in fact taken on my new bench)
The Harbor Freight guy

#1 posted 06-03-2010 03:43 AM

What a bargian Bench dogs just like Roy Underhills
Thanks for sharing Bert

5387 posts in 1978 days

#2 posted 06-03-2010 04:36 AM

I hate to say it, but those look like the replacements that “famous” brand sent me when I whacked my holdfast the second time and it fell into 2 pieces… (They are MUCH darker blue than the bad ones which are a touch lighter than Ford Blue…)

I have 2 of the dark blue ones, and so far they are holding up fine. For the steep price you paid, I may have to get 2 more. I can actually see where using 4 at once could be helpful…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#3 posted 06-03-2010 06:46 AM

Wow. What a great price on those. Thanks for sharing.

-- David from Indiana --

View naomi weiss's profile

naomi weiss

#4 posted 06-03-2010 07:39 AM

No way! I don’t believe it! I paid $13 for one at woodcraft :-(
Do those come in the bigger version?
I’m off to check their site!

-- 'Humility is a duty in great ones, as well as in idiots'--Jeremy Taylor

View Ole's profile

Ole

#5 posted 06-03-2010 12:20 PM

Thanks for the review! I recently saw them on their site, and was thinking about getting them. Now I definitely will!

View rance's profile

rance

4147 posts in 1906 days

#6 posted 06-03-2010 04:00 PM

HF Part #?

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

#7 posted 06-03-2010 04:10 PM

Available on line only:

Shipping was around $6.00

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

1149 posts in 2041 days

#8 posted 06-03-2010 04:24 PM

I keep meaning to order these,
thanks for the reminder and review !

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View ChrisG's profile

ChrisG

#9 posted 06-03-2010 04:26 PM

Just placed an order for 2 of them. Grand total with tax and shipping… $11.09. Thanks for the review.

-- Christopher Griggs, New Orleans, thewoodlife@gmail.com, http://chrisgriggs.blogspot.com

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

#10 posted 06-03-2010 05:04 PM

I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again…”it” (sorry, couldn’t resist) I’ve used HF stuff often & have not been disappointed. If you’re a “high end” tool guy (person) you’ll find a way to “dis” their stuff, & if you run a production shop, they might not hold up as long, but for average use in a hobbyist shop, or if you’re on a budget, HF tools can be just the ticket.

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View gardentiger's profile

gardentiger

#11 posted 06-03-2010 05:22 PM

went to the website to purchase. registered, and now cannot login. someone in China must have to check it first.

#12 posted 06-03-2010 05:25 PM

gardentiger order by phone,it is easier

View ZeroThreeQuarter's profile

ZeroThreeQuarter

#13 posted 06-03-2010 05:26 PM

nice quick review..

HF has turned into a legitimate source for small tools like this. I know I get my clamps there, can’t beat the price, and it does just as it’s supposed to do: clamp! I can’t justify spending 2 or 3 times the price just to clamp down wood. As for their power tools, i’ll keep using craigslist to buy from people that are selling off quality tools at discount prices. (this economy doesn’t hurt either, people tend to try and empty out their garages of their old stuff, got a near-new jointer for $200 and a borderline new dewalt planer for just$300!)

-- Your mind, much like a parachute, works best when open.

View GregD's profile

GregD

#14 posted 06-03-2010 07:31 PM

Unfortunately they don’t fit the HF 60” Solid Oak Workbench which has 5/8” holes in the top (which is not nearly as thick as its edging).

Your pics are much better than the ones on their website!

-- Greg D.

#15 posted 06-03-2010 07:45 PM

Thank you Greg.
You could enlarge the hole sin the bench ( I have the same one that I used before I built a new one) but I do not think that the top would be thick enough for the hold downs