Can't beat them!!

Review by b2rtch posted 1540 days ago 4259 views 4 times favorited 46 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Can't beat them!! Can't beat them!! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

These hold down cost the exorbitant price of $1.97 each!!!!!

I read about other “famous” brand hold downs which break the first time you use them.
These did not break after about ten tries and they in fact hold , as they are supposed to do .
Excellent value.
One more time, thank you Harbor Freight,my very favorite store.
( just for Greg: this is a full review with pictures not from Harbor Freight ’s website but in fact taken on my new bench)
The Harbor Freight guy

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112010 posts in 2202 days

What a bargian Bench dogs just like Roy Underhills
Thanks for sharing Bert

I hate to say it, but those look like the replacements that “famous” brand sent me when I whacked my holdfast the second time and it fell into 2 pieces… (They are MUCH darker blue than the bad ones which are a touch lighter than Ford Blue…)

I have 2 of the dark blue ones, and so far they are holding up fine. For the steep price you paid, I may have to get 2 more. I can actually see where using 4 at once could be helpful…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

Wow. What a great price on those. Thanks for sharing.

-- David from Indiana --

View naomi weiss's profile

naomi weiss

199 posts in 2019 days

No way! I don’t believe it! I paid $13 for one at woodcraft :-(
Do those come in the bigger version?
I’m off to check their site!

-- 'Humility is a duty in great ones, as well as in idiots'--Jeremy Taylor

View Ole's profile

Ole

Thanks for the review! I recently saw them on their site, and was thinking about getting them. Now I definitely will!

View rance's profile

rance

HF Part #?

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

Available on line only:

Shipping was around $6.00

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

1149 posts in 1921 days

I keep meaning to order these,
thanks for the reminder and review !

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View ChrisG's profile

ChrisG

Just placed an order for 2 of them. Grand total with tax and shipping… $11.09. Thanks for the review.

-- Christopher Griggs, New Orleans, thewoodlife@gmail.com, http://chrisgriggs.blogspot.com

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again…”it” (sorry, couldn’t resist) I’ve used HF stuff often & have not been disappointed. If you’re a “high end” tool guy (person) you’ll find a way to “dis” their stuff, & if you run a production shop, they might not hold up as long, but for average use in a hobbyist shop, or if you’re on a budget, HF tools can be just the ticket.

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View gardentiger's profile

gardentiger

went to the website to purchase. registered, and now cannot login. someone in China must have to check it first.

gardentiger order by phone,it is easier

View ZeroThreeQuarter's profile

ZeroThreeQuarter

nice quick review..

HF has turned into a legitimate source for small tools like this. I know I get my clamps there, can’t beat the price, and it does just as it’s supposed to do: clamp! I can’t justify spending 2 or 3 times the price just to clamp down wood. As for their power tools, i’ll keep using craigslist to buy from people that are selling off quality tools at discount prices. (this economy doesn’t hurt either, people tend to try and empty out their garages of their old stuff, got a near-new jointer for $200 and a borderline new dewalt planer for just$300!)

-- Your mind, much like a parachute, works best when open.

View GregD's profile

GregD

Unfortunately they don’t fit the HF 60” Solid Oak Workbench which has 5/8” holes in the top (which is not nearly as thick as its edging).

Your pics are much better than the ones on their website!

-- Greg D.

Thank you Greg.
You could enlarge the hole sin the bench ( I have the same one that I used before I built a new one) but I do not think that the top would be thick enough for the hold downs