A great glue which I have tested to the limit.

Review by thatwoodworkingguy posted 06-02-2010 03:30 AM 4014 views 0 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great glue which I have tested to the limit. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After watching Scott Phillips on tv I got increasingly interested In this Gorilla glue. I picked up a small bottle and tryed on the first project I could. It was a box with I actualy sold so I never got to post It on here. It was made with curly maple. So a fairly standard wood.
I spread A healthy amount on each miter and brushed it out. I made this box with no splines because I wanted to put this glue to the test. And boy did I.
First the day after glue up I was outside brushing lacquer onto it and it was a VERY VERY windy day. The wind literally picked up the box and carried it through my front yard. The box bounced off the lawn 3 times before landing. Not the slightest bit of movement to the corners. Rock solid. Just grass stains haha
That weekend I was at a craft fair with this box. The first day it absolutely POURED rain and my boxes were exposed to the wet element. Now I am in no way bashing titebond here and I hope it doesnt get taken that way but I have to say a box I have glued together with titebond 2 and I got some separation but the Gorilla glued box remained rock solid.
The next day of the fair showed clearing skys and intense heat. Once again the gorilla glued box stood the test of time through the heat. It was purchased the following week and remained rock hard.

All in all I have completely switched over to Gorilla glue and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality adhesive

#1 posted 06-02-2010 03:35 AM

Thanks for the review sounds like a good glue.

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

#2 posted 06-02-2010 08:47 AM

I thought all glues (of the same type) were alike. White is white, yellow is yellow, etc. Wonder what makes this glue different?

-- Jim

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#3 posted 06-02-2010 10:46 AM

Thanks for the review and for sharing your experience.

I have no doubt that you aren’t dogging Titebond in your review, but the comparison of this glue to Titebond II seems a little off. The suggested applications of TB III vs. the Gorilla wood glue would be much closer. The TB II is not intended to hold up to getting wet, though both the TB III and Gorilla glues are. The reason I bring this up is cost—I know the overall cost of glue in a project is pretty small compared to other stuff, but I can’t help but noticing that the Gorilla wood glue is almost twice as much as TB III. I haven’t seen anything that makes me think the Gorilla wood glue would justify this increased cost.

-- David from Indiana --

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#4 posted 06-02-2010 11:45 AM

Sounds like your project had a rough road. I am glad that glue and joints withstood the stresses and preserved it until it was sold. Great review and thanks for sharing.

To supplement David’s (dfdye) comments regarding the difference between TB II and TB III, Wood Magazine had an article in their May 2009 edition that compared the outdoor qualities of type II, type III, epoxy, and polyurethane glues. Names were not mentioned, I can assume they used titebond but cannot state for a fact that they did. However, type II glues were slightly weaker than type III glues as far as external product uses. Type III wood glues were determined to be as strong as epoxy. During the joint torture test, the wood failed before the glue did. The glue joints the staff tested were placed on a roof for 9 months with a mixture of extreme cold, rain, and 100+ degree temperatures, so the joinery really got a good workout.

As far as the comment about a comparison between Gorilla Glue and TB II being a little off, Gorilla Wood Glue is a Type II glue, so the comparison is fair in that regards. Price will also depend on where you purchase it. Some of the big box stores sell small containers at a fairly large price, but the product is available on Amazon in 8oz bottles for around 5 bucks, which is comparable to TB brands. I see availability in many big stores being limited due to shelving space.

Thanks for posting your experience with the product,

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#5 posted 06-02-2010 08:06 PM

David,

Thanks for noting that the Gorilla product is a type II glue. I was not aware of that, and their literature and advertising seems to imply that it is comparable to a type III. Thanks for the correction. Once I actually took the time to look, Gorilla clearly states it is a type II.

As for pricing, the best I could find on Amazon for the Gorilla Glue is $0.83/oz, whereas Titebond III is only $0.43/oz in quart bottles (both eligible for free shipping). If I bump up to a gallon, the TB III drops to $0.29/oz. I couldn’t find a free shipping offer for TB II, but I typically see it for about $0.20/oz in gallon sizes (~$25/gallon), even locally.

I guess my point is this: if you are considering switching to Gorilla wood glue for weather stability, why not consider TB III for less money? Still, like I said, the overall glue cost per project is still REALLY small relative to most other components that will go into a project, so I am sure I am just splitting hairs and being really cheap here! I will gladly spend an extra $3-5/hinge for a project if they are more easily adjustable or easier to install, so I have no idea why I would ever object to anyone using a glue that would cost less than one hinge upgrade if it makes them more confident in their project (which probably means I just convinced myself to switch to TB III after I use up my current supply of glue! :)

Regardless, this seems to be a great problem to have—both TB and the Gorilla wood glues seem to perform great, so I guess whichever you like should be what you use.

David

PS Thanks again, thatwoodworkingguy, for posting the review!

-- David from Indiana --

#6 posted 06-02-2010 08:15 PM

I did not bash titebond nor did I ask to get told about the prices. And actualy I dont remember comparing it to Titebond II. I was merely showing how well gorilla glue stands up to water by demonstrating how easily a glue that doesnt can get taken down.
Im noticing a trend of people reading a little to far into things here and Im getting sick of it.

#7 posted 06-02-2010 08:16 PM

This was a review of a glue. Not a way over brands and prices people.

View bayspt's profile

bayspt

#8 posted 06-02-2010 08:51 PM

Relax. No one said you bashed anything. Compare you did, and from the way I read it David from Indiana thought at first it was an unfair comparison. He was corrected and admitted the error, and again thanked you for your post. It is a review of glue, a certain brand of glue. If it wasn’t about the brand it wouldn’t be worth a flip. Price is very important to some people. Sometimes one of the most important items to determine if someone buys an item or not. If we never had a differance of thought, sure would make this world a boring place to be, what would we talk about. Maybe it’s just the way I read it, but it seems to me maybe you could take your own advice and not read so far into things. Of course this is just my .02. Frankly, I have never tried Gorilla Glue, but may in the future based on your review since all I can get locally is TB II and by your experiance it is the better type 2 glue. Then again if the price differance is too great I probably won’t.

-- Jimmy, Oklahoma "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear!"

View swirt's profile

swirt

1946 posts in 1662 days

#9 posted 06-02-2010 08:53 PM

Thanks David and dfdye for the extra information and discussion. I found it helpful.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1993 days

#10 posted 06-02-2010 09:47 PM

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

My first thoughts were also why compare a waterproof glue to Titebond II. That’s Titebond IIIs territory. Anyway that was easily enough misunderstood by a few people including myself if a misunderstanding is what it was. ~shrug~

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

—thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Hehe, that’s pretty good after two weeks :)

~smiles~ I have been wondering about how well Gorilla glue holds wood as I have never tried it because I have been using Titebond III.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#11 posted 06-02-2010 10:05 PM

thanks for the review. and thanks for the added info in the comments from dfdye, and David. these types of comments usually add extra beef to the overall overview of a product. no need to get offended from it.

Cheers ;)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View jimp's profile

jimp

#12 posted 06-02-2010 10:07 PM

You can buy Gorilla White Wood Glue at Home Depot for $5.97 for the 18 oz bottle ($0.33 per oz), which is basically the same price as TB II in the same bottle size.

I use Gorilla White Wood Glue and love it.

-- - Jim, Carroll, OH

View woodcrafter47's profile

woodcrafter47

#13 posted 06-03-2010 01:05 AM

I have been using for a long time, like it for glue up for bowls and etc. White dries in 2 hrs ,brown takes it time, Must wet dampen hard wood to open pores . Great stuff though.Brown stain on fingers if not wiped off quickly.
I use carberator spray.Comes right off.

-- In His service ,Richard

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

#14 posted 06-03-2010 03:29 AM

I’m sure it’s me but I can’t quite understand this. The Gorilla glue is a TypeII and when compared to another TypeII glue like Titebond, it’s more water resistant? Why? I thought the Type determined whether it was water resistant. Is Titebond III a Type I or Type II or Type III or what?

-- Jim

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#15 posted 06-03-2010 04:57 AM

FYI, I just stopped at Home Depot and picked up an 18oz bottle for $6 (including tax) as all I have is TBI and will need something water resistant, and FSA approved for indirect food contact for butting boards I plan on making.

Thanks again for the review. nice to know it holds well

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.