Great mid range dust collecter.

Review by thatwoodworkingguy posted 06-01-2010 06:55 AM 2539 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great mid range dust collecter. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted to upgrade my dust collection for a shop vac to the real deal.
I always trust delta machinery so I thought this was a good way to go. I headed right over to woodcraft and I saw this shiny beast. I purchased it that day along with the appropriate fittings and hoses. woodcraft has an amazing supply of dust collection accessories I might add!
I got home and began to assemble the unit. There is a moderate amount of assembly but the instructions for once are actually helpful. I would suggest assembling this with two people though as Installing the motor onto the enclosed cabinet is not exactly easy.
After putting it together I couldnt help but turn it on. This thing sounds GREAT. Im a sucker for tools that sound good and this thing just purrs.
After tirelessly running hose throughout my shops ceiling hooking up each machine I let it sit over night.
When I returned to work the next morning I could wait to fire this thing up. I opening the blast gate for the table saw and this thing literally was pulling dust out from inside my table saw cabinet. It has balls. I cut down a 4×8 sheet of mdf for shop cabinets and the dust was near nothing. its has excellent suction. I do recommend a 4 inch hose as with most dust collectors.
The one gripe I have with this machine is a love hate thing. I love the look of the enclosed cabinet but it makes changing the bag very difficult for one person. But this is only a minor thing. All in all I would recommend this unit to anyone!

-- thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

View thatwoodworkingguy's profile

thatwoodworkingguy

#1 posted 06-01-2010 07:08 AM

congrats on your new unit . Thanks for the review.

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

1521 posts in 1940 days

#2 posted 06-01-2010 02:41 PM

Good review. I too have the 50-720CT (your picture is for the bag not cartridge but I’m guessing you still got the CT version). It sounds like you have this hooked to multiple machines or long lengths of hose?? If this is true, it still pulls well? Its a great one tool DC but I didn’t think it would be good with long tubing or multiple gates since it only has 650CFM.

I do love it though, and I don’t find changing bags to be that much of a hassle. Although make sure you use one of the foam tape pieces to wrap around the bag collector. Without out, the belt to tighten the bag has to be super tight, it is much easier to tighten it by hand(and produces a better seal) if the foam is around the DC and then the bag is around the foam.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

5387 posts in 1977 days

#3 posted 06-01-2010 03:50 PM

Of all of the small size, 1HP single stage DCs, this is about the best one I have seen… Especially with the cartridge filter.. I would however be very leery of running any substantial length of flex hose with any DC, let alone one with a 650 CFM rating. You may find that you are a LOT happier dragging a hose, machine to machine, and keeping your hose length to 10’ or less…. You should get MUCH better performance that way…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

1521 posts in 1940 days

#4 posted 06-01-2010 03:53 PM

Yeah thats what I do dbhost. Its not bad for a small shop. If you get the quick connects from Rockler to it makes it a cinch to switch hose to other tools.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

#5 posted 06-01-2010 08:31 PM

I also have this unit and LOVE it!! I avoided the whole assembly issue by buying the floor model at Lowes :)

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

#6 posted 06-02-2010 12:26 AM

Hmmm, will have to consider this unit, thanks for the review. I was looking at the 1HP Grizzly on sale for half the price of this one but was scared of as many were saying it would be insufficient. I just want to upgrade from my shopvac-based non-dust collection to something a little quieter and more efficient…

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View KTMM (Krunkthemadman)'s profile

KTMM (Krunkthemadman)

973 posts in 1938 days

#7 posted 06-02-2010 08:55 PM

I have this unit with the 3-21 ft dustright hose and handle. It’s been great. My shop is 12×16 and this is just perfect for it. I have the bag model though, I picked it up about a year ago for $50 at a local Lowes. The bag model doesn’t trap all of the dust. When the weather is nice I just stick it outside and run the hose in through the window, this way I wind up pumping all of the fine dust outside of the shop.

-- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Vince Lombardi