SawStop Industrial Cabinet Saw (ICS31230: 3 hp, 1 phase, 230 V, 13 A)

Review by stevenmadden posted 1544 days ago 13246 views 6 times favorited 54 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop Industrial Cabinet Saw (ICS31230: 3 hp, 1 phase, 230 V, 13 A) SawStop Industrial Cabinet Saw (ICS31230: 3 hp, 1 phase, 230 V, 13 A) SawStop Industrial Cabinet Saw (ICS31230: 3 hp, 1 phase, 230 V, 13 A) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this table saw in early April 2010 and it arrived in early-mid May 2010. The delay, I found out later, was due to the fact that SawStop was making a transition to the new, upgraded industrial cabinet saw. Anyway, when the saw arrived, I was pleased to find out that SawStop had upgraded me to the new dust collection shroud, blade guard, and lock down throat plate for free.

There have been several very detailed reviews of the SawStop Industrial Cabinet Saw here at LumberJocks, so I have decided to include pictures and some brief thoughts. I don’t have the breadth of knowledge in regards to table saws that I know many of you have, so I will keep it simple and try to add something about the upgraded dust collection.

Here are some general shots of the saw as it is orientated in my shop:

Easy to use hand wheels and on/off switch:

A nice place to hang the blade wrenches and blade guard/splitter/riving knife:

A nice place to store the miter gauge when not in use:

The cast iron top (with the new upgraded lock down zero clearance insert):

The rip fence:

The extension wing with Woodpecker router lift dropped in:

The fence I built for my router table:

Upgraded dust shroud (and yes, I’m showing off my Forrest Woodworker II, best blade ever!):

Upgraded dust collection blade guard:

Finally, the table saw sled I built (based on the one by John White from Fine Woodworking):

Some thoughts:

The upgraded dust collection blade guard works great. I would agree with SawStop’s claim that the blade guard, in conjunction with the below the table dust shroud, captures about 99% of the dust generated. The only exception that I have found is when I am taking less that an 1/8” to clean up an edge, there is a significant amount of sawdust that escapes back out the front of the blade guard (towards the user). Still, this is nothing compared to a table saw that does not have this feature.

The lock down throat plate works very well. I don’t have any experience using the old version, so I cannot compare the two.

The riving knife is one of the coolest features. I would go as far to say that no table saw should be without a true riving knife.

As they say, the fit and finish were excellent. Things were aligned very well; the blade-to-miter was within .001” and the fence-to-miter was within .005” along the entire length of the rip fence, on both sides, and with both miter slots.

The “coin” test was pretty cool. I balanced a penny (which was a very difficult penny to balance in the first place) and turned the saw on. The penny didn’t budge, not even a little. This is a very smooth running saw.

In Conclusion:

This is a great table saw, the best I have ever had the opportunity to work with. My first table saw was a Jet hybrid, and this is a huge step up from that.

I hope you have found this review useful and welcome any questions/comments.

Steve

View stevenmadden's profile

stevenmadden

View DrewM's profile

DrewM

Great review, thanks for all the pictures. That sure is one nice saw (trying not to be super jealous).

-- Drew, Delaware

112011 posts in 2204 days

super review great photo layout Congrat on your new saw.

View thatwoodworkingguy's profile

thatwoodworkingguy

Beautiful pictures of a gorgeous saw. And the review was nice as well!
I would love this saw however I have no need and im not at the point to upgrade my table saw.

-- thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

View Wolffarmer's profile

Wolffarmer

One sweet setup.

-- That was not wormy wood when I started working on it.

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 1988 days

Hey Steve,
Well done all round.

View Sailor's profile

Sailor

What excelent looking machinery. I really like the storage you have incorporated into the router fence.

-- Dothan, Alabama Check out my woodworking blog! http://woodworkingtrip.blogspot.com/ Also my Youtube Channel's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SailingAndSuch

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

Drooooooooool

View doordude's profile

doordude

congrats on the new purchase, now lets turn out some products

View doordude's profile

doordude

steve; took a peek at your shop,clean and organized.saw you live in clovis; and therefore the need for the wall ac unit. great set up. i live in napa,ca

View Rob Drown's profile

Rob Drown

Wow, I have a 3 yr old SS pro and I’m jealous. It is a wonderful saw and the upgrades you got are amazing. SS are great people to work with. WOW

-- The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. Confucius, 经过艰苦的努力的梦想可以成真

View Paulsgarage's profile

Paulsgarage

That is the most beautiful saw I have ever seen! I also am holding out for a Saw Stop but the contractor model. Great pictures and review. Congrats on the new saw and may it bring you much joy in the years to come.

-- Paul

Steve, this is a nice review. I am sure you will find the saw to be a joy to use and will serve you well for years to come.

View mcase's profile

mcase

You are going to love this machine. I’ve had one for three years and have never been happier with a a product or service.

View mikedddd's profile

mikedddd

Steve: Thanks for the review, good pictures. Your going to love that saw I’ve had the ICS 51230 for three years now. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

-- Mike

View Scott's profile

Scott

Excellent pics! You did what I was considering with the router insert in their table. I just got the PCS version with the extension table and it definitely seems beefy enough for a router. Thanks!