Amana bits are great, the need for this set is not

Review by rhett posted 1541 days ago 2323 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Amana bits are great, the need for this set is not No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a fine set of bits. The quality, workmanship and finish of all my Amana bits has been flawless. Therefore this is not a bad mark about Amana router bits, they are the best you can buy in my opinion.

This is however a review of the actual need to have a set of bits like these. I bought this set due to the fact that I have a kitchen on the floor with seven 45 degree corners. Building faceframe cabinets, this equates to 28 faceframe stiles needing a 22.5 degree angle. I assumed these bits would help with glue-up and alignment of said stiles and would result in a better finished product.

After drum sanding all the parts to final thickness and rough cutting the initial bevel, I then moved to milling of the parts. This consisted of running two batches, one of each profile. Set up was straight forward and not bad utilizing scrap pieces to get the heights right. Each profile was ran in a 3hp shaper with a power feeder, so this was a best case scenerio for good results. I don’t see how one could get good results without a power feeder unless lots of featherboards and perfectly flat stock was used. I then ripped all the pieces to final width.

I glued up all the stiles using only masking tape. This is the same method I use for joining any two boards with a bevel. My basic impression is this, it was not worth the extra time spent to run the T&G profile to achieve the same finished result. Running tape down the length of the joint proir to glue up is more than sufficient to keep the parts aligned. Just running the bevel and gluing up the pieces will get you to the same end result and will save a lot of time and setup.

-- http://planeandsimpleblog.wordpress.com/

View rhett's profile

rhett

112008 posts in 2201 days

I’m afraid buying router bits are a trial and error thing.

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

Thanks for the information. I will keep that in mind in the future.

-- Jerry Nettrour, San Antonio, www.topqualitycabinets.net

So there’s nothing wrong with the ”flawless” bits , but you’re only giving them 3 stars ?
Is it your project that you’re rating ?
Sorry , I don’t understand your “review”.

View rhett's profile

rhett

Did you read past the first paragraph?

-- http://planeandsimpleblog.wordpress.com/

View PetVet's profile

PetVet

Interesting. I can see that this would slightly increase glue surface area, provide some protection from slipping, even with the tape, during glue up, and also the spline does provide some mechanical strength to the joint. Don’t know if any of that is worth the effort you go through, though.

-- Rich in Richmond -- Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

View GregD's profile

GregD

rhett – would the spline be more helpful if one were gluing up wide boards rather than just relatively narrow stiles?

-- Greg D.

Did you read past the first paragraph?”
Hi rhett , yes I did.
When we review items on this site and others, and give them low scores , it takes numerous high scores from others to boost the item back up to where it belongs.
I’ve read several reviews on Amazon , etc., where the reviewer gave the tool a low score because they ”had a hard time opening the package” when in fact the score had nothing to do with the tool at all. So in reality , you should have rated the bits at 5 stars as you said they are “flawless”.
I do respect your opinion as to whether or not you could have made the cabinets without them. We all have our own favorite ways to do things and in the end , have the same results. I would think that the tongue and groove would add better alignment and some additional strength to the joint as well . I’m probably wrong though : )
Have a great evening , rhett : )

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

Rhett, I guess the question I would ask is this – Do you think this set would be potentially advantageous to an individual who does not have the experience you have with cabinetry. Many tools, bits, blades, jigs, etc. that have flooded the woodworking world are geared towards the hobbyist as well as the professional. I think what some pros or long term woodworkers sometimes forget is what seems very simple and easy to them can be much more complex for someone who hasn’t done the same thing a hundred or so times and probably never will.

Not to discount your review, just asking you to re-evaluate the product in light of the non-professional. If a DIYer were going to attempt some of the more complex cuts you described, do you think they would benefit from the product? Or do you think it is an unnecessary kit all around?

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.