Best Circular Saw I have ever used....

Review by Chris posted 05-31-2010 02:59 AM 7014 views 1 time favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best Circular Saw I have ever used.... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

We purchased the TS 75 Plunge Saw a few months ago after another regular circular saw fried on me again. I am not a contractor or a woodworking professional; but, I do expect things to work for more than a couple of years.

I chose the TS 75 after being fortunate enough to use a friends TS 55 to rough out the pieces for a couple of book cases.

Power:
The 75 has plenty of power to cut my sheet goods and rough lumber to usable dimensions with lots to spare.

Accuracy:
With the included track the saw has all the accuracy I’ll ever need. It’s easy to setup and easy to use.

Plunge:
Well, I do love having the ability to safely plunge cut. it’s a lot easier than with a standard circular saw.

Safety:
It has a built in riving knife.

Dust Collection:
When used with the Festool Dust extractor there isn’t much dust left to worry about. Yes, There is some but it doesn’t amount to much.

Yes, I know there are some that will read this and argue vehemently with regards to value. However, I will say this: For ME it’s provides great value and piece of mind.

I downloaded the picture from the Festool USA website.....

#1 posted 05-31-2010 03:23 AM

thanks for the review . I am a contractor and in 20 plus years have never burned up a saw . I perplexed why your having problems. I hope you get many years out of this one.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 05-31-2010 03:26 AM

I have the ts 55 and, in my opinion, it is in a class by itself. I don’t compare it to other circular saws. The ts 55 with it’s track is a whole new way to make a number of cuts in the workshop. I’m not a fan of everything made by festool. Some products are simply overpriced and don’t offer much, if any, value over their competitors. However, the plunge saws are special and, in my opinion, they are not overpriced for what they can do.

View thatwoodworkingguy's profile

thatwoodworkingguy

#3 posted 05-31-2010 04:03 AM

I burned up a dewalt framing a house last summer and its VERY frustrating when its not even lunch time and theres no homedepot around.

This saw seems really nice and its good to see a positive review. I dont cut enough sheet goods to need one but if I ever do Ill keep in mind your review.

-- thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

#4 posted 05-31-2010 04:04 AM

I’m using a Makita plunge saw with a 8 ft and a 4 ft track. I use it whenever I have large sheets to cut down and get extremely accurate cuts. Guess the Festool is the cream of the crop but I find the Makita as accurate as I as I can be with laying out the tracks. I’m very happy with the whole track saw system. DeWalt has one too so I wonder if anyone out there has one of them and will make a comment on it (Don’t imagine we’ll hear anyone with a Festool that doesn’t like it).

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

#5 posted 05-31-2010 04:26 AM

To partially answer Jim’s question. I have a a couple of different saws (three) that had different issues. Two of them motors went and another the bearings. the last two while cutting normal dimensional lumber….

I have also started doing case work and wanted to easily cut down sheet goods and cut down rough lumber to it’s basic sizes. All these factors helped play into this decision. I don’t own a Cabinet saw or a Sliding Miter saw. So, this saw fit the bill in multiple ways.

#6 posted 05-31-2010 04:26 AM

Oh… not to mention I already owned the CT 22 Dust Extractor… So, clean up is really easy :)

View Greedo's profile

Greedo

#7 posted 05-31-2010 08:02 AM

this is the only tool from festool i would consider buying, the plunge action and rail system actually seem to be worth paying an extra. though i extremely rarely use my current circular saw, maybe that is because regular saws are crap and not useable for making exact cuts.

is this thing actually easy and accurate to use in cutting large panels? i mean cutting up large format panels with straight cuts that deviate less than 1mm? then i would consider it, my tablesaw can’t handle large panels, i need to get them reduced at the yard before taking them home.

View Todd Thomas 's profile

Todd Thomas

#8 posted 05-31-2010 02:18 PM

thanks for the review…I have been looking into getting one of these and your review helps…thanks again

-- Todd, Oak Ridge, TN, Hello my name is Todd and I'm a Toolholic, I bought my last tool 10 days, no 4 days, oh heck I bought a tool on the way here! †

View 747DRVR's profile

747DRVR

199 posts in 2044 days

#9 posted 05-31-2010 04:43 PM

To answer Greedo’s question.It is very easy to get extremely accurate cuts in large panels.For 8’ long cuts I use 2 4’ rails joined together.

#10 posted 05-31-2010 09:06 PM

Also to answer Greedo’s question: I spent yesterday afternoon cutting the pieces for a couple of bookcases from Mahogany Plywood, I would not have attempted that with a regular circular saw. Setup is quick, easy and accurate. If you have any other questions feel free to send a PM or ask them here I’ll answer any I can.

View woody57's profile

woody57

#11 posted 05-31-2010 09:16 PM

thanks for the review
I’ve heard allot of good things about this saw
I don’t have a need for one since I have a vertical panel saw that works great.

-- Emmett, from Georgia

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

#12 posted 06-01-2010 12:36 AM

Greedo est que vous est de le région Belgue ou on parle France. Il’ y a quelque ans j’habite en France dans le région Rhone Alpe et dan le bureau ou je travaillai il’y a était des hommes Belge qui travaille avec moi. Je n’avais écris d’émail en français depuis longtemps donc je pense il et meilleur si je continue on anglais.

Since your English is excellent I will continue with it. Especially since it’s been around ten years since I lived in France and often visited Belgium. I believe since you live in Belgium that perhaps the Festool is the most economical chiose for you. But, I thing the track saws all perform roughly the same. I believe Festool, if you choose the higher powered model, or Makita from personal experience, or perhaps Dewalt all perform roughly the same. The will cut as accurately as you lay out the track.

I use this saw for cutting sheets of lumber.

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

View jjempson's profile

jjempson

#13 posted 06-03-2010 11:00 PM

i want one…....i have a festol planer with a 65mm blade…its the smaller of the two avaliable..but my god is it good..small but balenced….quiet and powerfull….25mm rebaing depth….4mm in hardwood… great for contruction and joinery…recomend all the way..any questions happily answered..ps still want this saw… good review ..thanks .

-- jjempson

View dtj5's profile

dtj5

#14 posted 06-13-2010 10:57 AM

Good Review…I have this saw and love it.

-- Tim

View ChrisCarr's profile

ChrisCarr

#15 posted 07-16-2010 04:45 AM

Although this review is nothing new to hear about festool it reminded me to keep watching for a used festool(the cost is too much). I have a used contractor saw but a festool would be great for jointing and as already mentioned sheet materials.