Jet AFS-1000B Air Filtration System

Review by Bill Hall posted 02-28-2008 07:59 PM 11584 views 3 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet AFS-1000B Air Filtration System No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love this thing. My workshop is a small section in the rear of my basement. Just getting started, I was getting dust everywhere as I have a contractor type table saw. I’m working on collecting that dust at the source better, but stuff still gets in the air. My entire basement was covered with dust before I had this. I’ve had it for a few months now and I can honestly say I notice a difference. The air is cycled every so many minutes and if I leave it run for a couple hours, the air smells clean. I like the fact that it has a remote control and allows you to set it to stay on for 2, 4 or 8 hours. It has 3 speeds which is good if you happen to change shop sizes. I use mine on low because at that CFM because, it works well for my size shop. When I move into a bigger shop some day, I’m covered. For $200+, this can’t be beat. Side note…Amazon had the best prices on these with free shipping. Mine arrived with a small, but annoying dent. They offered me 20% back or an exchange. Guess which I took? Dent? What dent? I’m ignoring that dent. :)

-- http://www.tenoclockwoodworks.com

View Bill Hall's profile

Bill Hall

View trifern's profile

trifern

#1 posted 02-28-2008 09:01 PM

Thanks for the review Bill. I added this same unit to my shop around Christmas time. My shop is in the third stall of the garage. It keeps the dust off of the cars and out of the house. It is also a huge help when doing finish work.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#2 posted 03-02-2008 02:48 AM

Pick up an electrostatic filter from Penn State Industries and it will even work better, plus you can keep washing out the filter.

View Dadoo's profile

Dadoo

#3 posted 05-02-2008 03:20 PM

YES! I just bought one of these and I love it too! Got it for $229.00 thru the LJ store (Amazon) and free shipping. Excellent unit!

-- Bob Vila would be so proud of you!

View Don46's profile

Don46

#4 posted 07-16-2008 02:44 PM

This looks like a good deal. This will supplement the main dust collection system, which will suck up the chips and sawdust at the saw, and will get the really fine dust that floats in the air, is that right? What do you guys recommend for the main DC system. Mine will be a basement room about 30×15. I’m concerned about controlling the mess and about my lungs. I’m thinking of a 1.5 HP single stage DC system. Advice on brands, models, or type of system welcome.

-- --Don, Columbia, SC

View Ben Griffith's profile

Ben Griffith

#5 posted 07-16-2008 07:31 PM

I got one of these on ebay a few months ago. It was also damaged in shipment from Amazon (I think this is pretty common due to the flimsy packaging). If I remember right the seller had lots of dented/dinged items for sale, so maybe he was liquidating insurance claimed goods. Just one very slightly smushed corner, otherwise brand new, and only $144 with shipping!
I’ve got pretty much the same situation as Bill, above, with my workshop being a back corner of the basement, and I’ve had the same positive results. For now I still have it sitting on a bench, but I plan to mount it to the ceiling. It comes with hardware for several different mounting options: ceiling with brackets, ceiling with chains, wall mounted, or bench mounted (rubber feet).
One note that I found about these … If it’s, say, 6:00 and you set the unit to stay on for 2 hours, then at 7:30 you decide it’s been on long enough and turn it off, it will actually turn ON by itself at 8:00 (the time when it would have turned off if you had left it alone). I haven’t actually checked that out myself, but I think it was in several Amazon reviews that I saw it.

View BamaCummins's profile

BamaCummins

#6 posted 09-06-2008 05:58 PM

Anybody tried retrofitting a REAL 12×24 filter for this unit? Although the JET filter says 12×24 it is actually slightly smaller. Hate to buy filters that cost 3 times as much as I can buy at the hardware store. JET really boogered us on this one, they want to sell their filters.

-- "I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet." -- Vince Lombardi after being asked what it felt like to be the greatest football team in the world just after winning the '66 Super Bowl.

View mark's profile

mark

#7 posted 10-08-2008 03:53 AM

I usually just force the filter into the unit, it will fit with a little work. I have not had any issues so far. Although I am thinking about picking up a electrostatic filter from Penn State Industries.

-- Mark, Norfolk, VA

View BernieMay's profile

BernieMay

#8 posted 05-06-2011 02:27 PM

I just tape a 12×24 filter from the hardware store over the end of the unit. I left the Jet “12×24” in place and only replace the one I tape on. The clean piece of filter under the tape tells me when I should be replacing the filter.

View Jim_in_EP's profile

Jim_in_EP

#9 posted 03-16-2014 09:32 PM

Just to share a learning, with my unit, the motor would stop after about 30 seconds. The problem was a 1000 uf capacitor on the board. I replaced it and it is working fine.