A great 3 hp shaper

Review by Dustin posted 05-30-2010 09:39 PM 6776 views 1 time favorited 38 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great 3 hp shaper No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love this shaper. And it would be even better with a power feeder on it.

I have both 3/4” and 1” spindles for this machine. Because most of my shapers use the 3/4” spindle that’s what I use with this machine. It has plenty of power to handle common profiles associated with cabinet door making and I have not been able to slow this machine down. I prefer the fence design to most other Taiwanese/Chinese machines. To get it perfectly parallel to the miter slot I just have to tap the fence housing to the right or the left a little. I prefer having wooden fences to metal but it would have been nicer if the fence was a little taller on this model.

For start up cabinet businesses this is a great machine. I think later on though you’ll want to move to a 1-1/4” spindle and a stronger machine to profile a little quicker with less chatter marks.

For hobby work I think I would actually just get the Shop Fox 2 hp machine to reduce the amount of space used and it can pretty much do the same thing. However, you can’t really go wrong with either machine.

View thatwoodworkingguy's profile

thatwoodworkingguy

#1 posted 05-30-2010 09:45 PM

Great review. I have been looking into a shaper.

-- thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

#2 posted 05-30-2010 09:56 PM

Super review Dustin a good shaper should serve you well in you cabinet business.

#3 posted 05-30-2010 10:02 PM

thatwoodworkingguy – for what you are doing I would consider giving the Shop Fox 2hp shaper a try. You get all the power you need but you can plug it into a 120V outlet. When I first started out that was necessary because I didn’t have what I needed to get 220V out to my shop. I love those boxes that your doing!

Thanks Jim, I got this for like $400 bucks so I couldn’t pass it by. I’m sure you know how nice it is to have a battery of shapers when it comes to door making. One for raised panels, the others for rail and styles, and even one for the door lip. I love it.

View thatwoodworkingguy's profile

thatwoodworkingguy

#4 posted 05-30-2010 10:48 PM

I actualy do have 220 dustin! Im lucky enough that I no longer have a washer and dryer to deal with so I have claimed that 220 outlet!
Thanks again for the review.

-- thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 2089 days

#5 posted 05-31-2010 12:53 AM

If i was ever going to open a cabinet shop I would buy the grizzly 3 head shaper. That thing is a beast. Nice review

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

#6 posted 05-31-2010 03:05 AM

Yeah, that three spindle shaper would be nice, but you know what you would be nicer? Three three hp shapers. And it would be less expensive too.

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

#7 posted 06-01-2010 05:20 AM

I have the grizzly equivalent. You are right, it can bite. I was picking up one panel off the shaper, and grabbing the next at the same time. About as fast as you touch a pan and say “that was hot” I was on my way to emergency room.

Definitely worth its weight. I have mine dedicated to a raised panel cutter. I would be nervous to use smaller bits with that much power.

#8 posted 06-01-2010 05:41 AM

tooldad, how bad was it? I’m too much of a pansy to push panels through it without push blocks. Every day I just expect that I’m going to hurt myself and I remind myself of it every time I touch my shapers or table saw. That way I can stay focused. If I don’t feel focused I don’t work.
I love your work by the way.

View Sawdustmaker's profile

Sawdustmaker

#9 posted 08-09-2012 11:56 AM

Dustin, I’ve been looking at the Grizzly G1035 & G1035P 1 1/2 hp shaper for my small shop. They are both basically the same machine with the exception of color and a small price difference. I intend to use it for making numerous items; much of it will be tongue and groove flooring and ceiling for my new home so I don’t plan on making my living with it. From looking at these reviews, you know your way around shapers so I thought I would ask your opinion. Do you think running the 1 ½ hp machine on the 220 side will have enough power to do 1 or ¾ “ oak flooring and not bog down? I have looked at larger machines but I want to have a budget left for cutter heads and that alone will add up quick. Thanks for your time. R/Brian

-- Brian, Virginia Beach

#10 posted 08-10-2012 10:29 AM

Does it have enough power? Yep, just enough. But for flooring you’ll want to have a power feeder at least. Getting everything square will be difficult if not impossible I’m afraid. You may want to just get it from a supplier instead.

#11 posted 01-29-2013 01:01 AM

I am setting up a new woodworking shop to make furniture and custom storage systems. I have plenty of 220 power and space. I have never owned or used a shaper but now see the value of a shaper vs. my router table setup.
I am thinking of buying new the Shop Fox W1702 shaper for a combination of fairly low machine price, the 3 HP motor, and the ¾” and 1” spindle. I plan to buy 1.25” cutters and bushing down to 1”. That seems to buy long term usefulness of the cutters. I am hoping the 3 HP will be enough power for the shapes I have in mind. Maybe I will graduate to a bigger 1.25” spindle machine in the future. In the meantime, is a 1” spindle a big enough improvement over a 3/4” to make good use of midsize 1.25” cutters?. I would use big 1.25” cutters slowly and in a few passes where needed. Does anyone have good experience with this particular model shaper? Does anyone anticipate problems using bushings for this setup? Does this seem to you a reasonable approach to get started?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

View cabmaker's profile

cabmaker

#12 posted 01-29-2013 02:47 AM

Sounds like your giving this lots of thought which is wise . Don’t hesitate to look at the grizz 3hp before you buy . They may be identical, I don’t know I just don’t care for white machinery.. A 3hp will handle most of your needs I’m sure and don’t get too caught up in buying 11/4 bore and bushing down for the sake of future use . If you at some point aquire a big spindle machine deal with it then. A 3/4 spindle will make you money and is a good match for the machine size your looking at. Dont worry about the chatter, you may be reading too many forum posts about that issue and the cost difference in cutters will quickly pay for a feeder. Oh and did I mention the grizz 3hp shaper ? Best bang for the buck out there ! JB

#13 posted 01-29-2013 05:03 AM

Thanks JB, I hear you, but when I strap my girlfriend to the table her long blonde hair will look excellent against the white cabinet…. Probably good advice to put the savings into a feeder which is also on my list. What size spindle do you use on that big ole Delta shaper? Any experience with vibration due to play with bushings? Many of the shapes I will be using will be custom profiles. Anyone know if custom cutters are easier/better on a 3/4” or 1.25” spindles? Best source for 1” cutters? Thanks..

#14 posted 01-29-2013 02:41 PM

The shop fox in my opinion is superior to the grizzly because of the fence design. However, if you never plan to adjust the fence, or in other words it will only serve it’s purpose with one cutter, then the grizzly’s fence will be a little more stable and stay parallel to the miter slot. After that the machines are identical.
As I’ve told others, if you are using a machine that is less than 5 hp I do not recommend using anything bigger than a 3/4” spindle. It will not necessarily create a nicer cut because the machine may not be powerful enough to keep the cutter up to speed.
Also, for general use, if you only have one shaper it had better be set up with a power feeder. I have five shapers, two of which are set up with power feeders.

And as a general rule, friends do not let friends buy Delta.

#15 posted 02-15-2013 03:48 AM

I jumped in with both feet and bought new the Shop Fox W1702 shaper along with their W1820 table saw, W1741S jointer, and W1742 planer. I will write about last 3 in the near future. After setting up these machines for the last 4 days, I opened the W1768 1HP power feeder (for the shaper) and was amazed how BIG it is. The shaper table is 28.5” wide and the power feeder is 23.5” wide leaving a couple of inches of table showing coming and going. The depth of the feeder is half that of the shaper table from the fence to the front edge. Shop Fox tech support recommends using the 1/4 HP feeder instead with the quick holder to clamp it on the corner, thus saving boring into the shaper table to mount the 1 HP base. Since I have read in various forums that the 1 HP is a better choice, I am on the fence if the 1 HP is better in this setup. I am planning to use almost all 3/4” bore cutters to mill shapes similar to large handrail. Perhaps in the future I will move to a heavier shaper and move the 1 HP feeder to that machine. Can anyone with experience with power feeders make a suggestion which way to go? Thanks!