Bosch GEX 125 AC random orbital sander

Review by Greedo posted 1550 days ago 6166 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch GEX 125 AC random orbital sander Bosch GEX 125 AC random orbital sander No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

i bought this sander over 2 months ago almost by coincidence, before that i actually did most of my sanding with a corded drill and a sanding pad mounted to it! so i got tired of that and wanted something proper.
after using some orbital and random orbital festool sanders in woodworking class i fell in love with them!
so one day i had enough and i went to a tool store with the idea of buying a festool sander, even if i knew they were outrageously expensive. i came to the shop and 3/4th of the racks were empty as they were moving the store. the only sander there was the Bosch GEX 125 AC, and i nearly fell over when i saw it was close to half the price of the festool. so i took it!

it turns out to be a great machine, i really have nothing bad to say about it.
it came with a proper micro filter causing it to produce verry little dust, the filter comes off verry easy and is cleaned just as easy. the handles on top front and rear allow you to operate it in different positions, verry handy so you can switch arms when it gets tiring. there is verry little vibration, the machine itself doesn’t tire you arms at all. a brake system stops the random action when your sanding at an angle so it doesn’t “score” into the workpiece
noise level is verry acceptable, at some points it created an annoying ratteling sound, but that was created by the hexagonal wrench that is clipped under the handle, i guess it serves for when dismounting the entire pad. i removed the wrench and the ratteling stopped.
i have never done any fine sanding with it, i use it as my workhorse to get planing marks of the wood with 80-120 grit pads, the finishing i do with a smaller palm orbital sander.

but most of all i am really happy each time im using it’s festool counterpart in class that coincidence made me buy Bosch, the festool has a handling that is somewhat less comfortable, no extra handle on the front, comes standard with a silly paper filter that is quite annoying to manipulate. and it’s body gets extremely warm during operation to the point of becoming uncomfortable whereas the Bosch stays perfectly cold.

i recommend this tool to anybody.

View Greedo's profile

Greedo

View CampD's profile

CampD

Nice, I’m in the market for a new one, my PC radon orbit has a lot of miles on it and is making some very funny sounds.
I always liked Bosch tools, like the way they feel. This will help make my decision.
Thx again

-- Doug...

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Great review, Thanks! I was thinking about getting a larger format sander, like you said for bull-work sanding….I refuse to buy anything made by festool. Their stuff is very high quality and ridiculously over priced. I like BOSCH tools and this one looks like a winner!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View trimmer's profile

trimmer

90 posts in 2073 days

Nice review. I too have a Bosch sander model 3725 DVS, had it 13 yrs. now still going strong. Turn the speed control up all the way wow it sands very agressive, turn it down all the way can rub a finish out well.
I have sinced replaced the pad, with Bosch’s hard pad and like it much better.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I’m in a unique situation because I own both a Bosch just like yours and the Festool Rotex 125 (dual mode). The beauty of the Festool is the dust extractor. It must capture 99% of the dust. Furthermore, it keeps the sand paper clean which enhances performance and the longevity of the paper.

Without the dust extractor, the festool is just a good (and over priced) sander.

I also have praise for my Bosch. I actually like the feel of the Bosch better. I have used it for years and it has always been a solid performer.

I do a lot of work with exotics and some of them are quite toxic. I bought the festool because of the dust control. However, if dust was not an issue with me, I would still prefer the Bosch.

112015 posts in 2209 days

Thanks for the review it looks like a great sander.

View thatwoodworkingguy's profile

thatwoodworkingguy

Seems like a nice one. I have been looking for a mean orbital sander and this might be it.

-- thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

How does this sander cost?
I cannot find it anywhere on line.
Thank you.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

I just typed Bosch GEX 125 in Google and I got a bunch of hits…anywhere from $156.00 to $209.00

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Greedo's profile

Greedo

mine was at €180, plus taxes that made €225. i think this model is named 3725 DVS in the states.