A gem from Porter Cable

Review by thatwoodworkingguy posted 1550 days ago 4175 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A gem from Porter Cable No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I went through a period of having to do A LOT of glue ups to make table tops and wide panels.
Not wanting to dowel it all I decided it was time to splurge on a new toy! I picked up this little baby.
Right out of the box things were looking great. It comes with a nice hardshell case. Some things about this case I really like are how spacious it is. I hate it when the hardshell cases hardly hold the tool and you have to mash it to get it close. Thats IF you figure out how to get the tool in with the cord. None of that with this unit. Its even got a place for the extra blade.
The dust collection is as would be expected. Just a bag that connects to the unit. How ever with a little tinkering its simple to hook a shop vac up to it. I first used it to glue up a Paduk top. It worked very well. It worked flawlessly. But any biscut joiner can do that. I wanted to test its accuracy and limits. I had the plan for the negative space table you can see in my profile. Its all biscuted together which means there was so accuracy needed.
It was VERY easy to change angles on it and line it up. Its a nice fat red center line so its easy to see and the added sand paper like material on the front prevents it from slipping. One minor problem I ran into was with the blade. I needed to use FF size biscuts (the smallest.) on some of the delicate areas and the instructions are kind of vague on how to change it and its actually sort of a pain. Im a big stickler about easy changes on things and this one isnt really all that simple. But boy did it preform on all those angles.
I have now started biscuting all my boxes above and beyond the splines just because of the ease and actually enjoyment of using this tool.
Over all I would recomend this tool to anyone! I also have used the dewalt and ryobi ones and I feel this highly out preforms those.
Nice job porter cable!

-- thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

View thatwoodworkingguy's profile

thatwoodworkingguy

View douglbe's profile

douglbe

Couldn’t agree with you more! I’ve been using this tool for about 2 years, and it works like a charm.

-- Doug, Reed City, Michigan

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks for the review!

I have the earlier version and it has worked flawlessly for many years. Good old Porter Cable quality.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View lou's profile

lou

340 posts in 2073 days

I agree.It does what you need it to.

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

I have one, and it works great for me as well, used it yesterday to glue up a table top.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View BigG's profile

BigG

Yup, these are sweet…........

-- Big G

112014 posts in 2208 days

Thanks for the review

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1943 days

It really helps with alignment and taking some stress out of glue ups. I dry fit my pieces with a clamp and make a pencil mark with my square on both pieces where the biscuit will go.

Then once the biscuits are in and the clamps are on I line up the index marks and done.

View woody57's profile