Purple nitrile gloves protect your fingers, don't melt, look jazzy!

Review by Nils posted 2326 days ago 5210 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Purple nitrile gloves protect your fingers, don't melt, look jazzy! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I needed a clean, dust-free pair of gloves to assemble a turned kaleidescope egg I made for my wife for Valentine’s Day. I wondered where I could find a cheap pair of gloves for this purpose. I thought immediately of the drug store, where I’d gotten latex gloves before. As I was shopping, I saw these purple nitrile gloves, and though to myself, “Self, isn’t nitrile that stuff that’s impervious to oil?” I’ve had the experience with latex gloves that oil eats into them very quickly, making them not useful for a) working on my bike or b) finishing wood with BLO or Danish oil.

Long story short, I’ve used the pair on the left in the picture for several small oil-based finishing jobs already, as well as gluing pen tubes into pen blanks with CA glue, and they are still going strong. I think they were a great buy, for about $8 at Walgreens.

-- Nils Davis, Menlo Park, CA

View Nils's profile

Nils

I’ve used them for years. I buy them ar Harbor freight when they have them on sale. usually 6.99 for 100 gloves. I still buy the old latex ones for cleaning the BBQ etc.

View Thos. Angle's profile

Thos. Angle

I use the blue ones, they go better with my eyes. LOL

-- Thos. Angle, Jordan Valley, Oregon

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

I’m with Thos. I use the blue ones. They go better with his eyes.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

I use the blue ones cause I don’t want to accidently bite myself when I eat jelly sandwiches.
That could really happen with those purple ones!
Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Moron's profile

Moron

I use the blue ones too albeit I wouldnt care what colour they are.

As a side note. I have been a “swimmer” all my life and have used goggles for the past 40 years when I do laps. The day came just two years ago when I woke up and couldnt open my eyes….........I developed an alergy to latex.

Latex alergies can kill, they can come on suddenly soooooo…......Nitrile is the way to go.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Glad to hear that you finally discovered the Nitrile gloves they do work great. Save yourself some money and check out (like Karson said) Harbor Freight.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

My step dad used to work for a cleaning supply company…as a result have a couple of boxes of both the blue and the regular. I use the blue for oil based products, and the regular for water base applications. Both do their intended jobs well. BTW, some of the blue glove say they are “puncture resistant” , if that were true, why do I still get splinters?

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View lazyfiremaninTN's profile

lazyfiremaninTN

I don’t have to buy any either, between Greg and I’s stepdad and the fact that I always end bringing home a pocket full from work (not used, wouldn’t want that bad red stain).

-- Adrian ..... The 11th Commandment...."Thou Shalt Not Buy A Wobble Dado"

View Tim Pursell's profile

Tim Pursell

I’m with roman. Found out about latex alergy while on a snorkeling trip in Mexico. We went the aftrenoon before the flight home. By the time the plane landed at home I had to be led off the plane. My eyes had swolen to the point I could no longer open them. Not a fun experience! My wife can get all the latex gloves she wants from the hospital she works at, but the nitrle ones are harder to come by so I’m with Karson, Harbor freight, on sale..

-- http://www.etsy.com/shop/tpursell?ref=si_shop

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I have a box of the plain latex ones, but I will be switching as soon as they are gone. No sense taking any chances.

My local HF always has them on sale and never has any in stock that fit me. I’ve had a raincheck for 6 months now ….still waiting patiently …sort of …LOL

How many in the box from Walgreens?