$74.95 Piece of crap

Review by sawblade1 posted 1510 days ago 4208 views 0 times favorited 41 comments Add to Favorites Watch
$74.95 Piece of crap No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Fellow lumberjocks I hate to post a bad review but this dovetail jig has taken the last of my Patience that I allocated for it :(
I bought this last year after realizing I need a jig, well I am fed up with trying to fix an almost new jig after reading the instruction manual and setting it up accordingly I placed the wood in the holder and tightened the clamp and after 3 seconds SNAP!!!! the knobs and bushing holders were broke after calling grizzly and getting a new bag of knobs and nylon bushings I was back in business today I ran a test run and boy I never seen dovetails tight in the middle and loose on the end :( Well after rationalizing I tested it with my straight edge and Viola!!!! bent Template and guide rail after placing in my workbench vise and straightening up the parts I placed it back on the jig and tightened the wood down again and SNAP!!!!!! another knob broke :(
Fixed the knob and cut more dovetails and they to were crooked twisted to be exact after figuring out that the base was warped I had enough I will never recommend this to anyone after screwing up and buying this I am Either looking at the Rockler or the 16” Omni jig

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

FWIW, that looks an AWFUL lot like the blind dovetail jig from Harbor Freight…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

We’ve all heard the expression, “You get what you pay for.” In my opinion, the gold standard for dovetail jigs in Leigh and their 12” Super Jig is a little over $200. Other high quality 12” jigs cost around $200.

You bought a jig that costs $74.95 and you got what you paid for. Now you will probably spend around $200 for a good jig. That is why I often say, “Cheap tools are expensive”.

FYI – I am a fan of Grizzly’s big, stationary tools but I am not a fan of the smaller tools they market.

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

I think this jig is made by on manufacturer and a lot of people are rebranding it.

I bought the same one from overstock.com about a year ago and the know snaped on first use.

I totaly agree with your conclusion: it’s a piece of…

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

111999 posts in 2163 days

I really like grizzly equipment but some of there low end stuff is not far off HF quality

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

Looks identical to the HF jig (I’m embarassed to say I have one). I think they are more like $40 from HF. If you aren’t trying to do anything fancy, you can’t beat Porter Cable’s basic jig (the 4210). It’s easy to set up and get repeatable cuts. $109 at Lowes.

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Hey Sawblade1, that looks just like the fixture I bought from Harbor Freight. Exactly the same color. I would have expeced better from Grizzley and I would expect it to be Green!! I must say I had to rework a lot of stuff on mine. First, I mounted it on a block of maple that I can easily camp to my bench. Then I replaced all the knobs with socket head cap screws ( except the 4 on the cam lock bars) and have a big T- handle allen wrench to crank down on them. I have not see any bend in my template, but I did find that when I clamped down on the top piece, it would not come down tight in the front on the vertical piece( that might indicate it is not flatt!!!). So, I added an 1/32 shim to the back edge of the top surface and it tips the board tight to the vertical piece. I also made a 1/2” off set gage to set the offset for the horizontal edge to vertical edge. That saves a lot of time with that fixture. You’ll find that they do not line up straight just using the slotted gage arms so you need a straight edge that you can set them to.

It was cheap so I did not have high expectations but with a little TLC in the right spot, it cuts some pretty consistant dovetails now. If I had to make a lot of dovetails, I would have bought a better fixture, but I make them less than once a year.

Chuck those cheapo knobs and get some socket head cap screws and an allen wrench. See if you can fix the bent template and try ‘er again.

View Swede's profile

Swede

Life is to short stick it in the trash cut your loss and buy a good quality template.

I have been burned to many times in the past now if it ain’t quality I don’t buy it.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View bent's profile

bent

i have one branded with the name “rand” on it. it’s identical to this one, even the same color paint. i’ve cut some ok dovetails on it. i think it was more luck than anything, your review is right, it’s a real POS.

View CampD's profile

CampD

1184 posts in 2072 days

Looks the same as the one I got from Rockler, needed one quick, works ok but I think it takes to much time to set-up.

-- Doug...

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

You get what ya pay for.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

Thanks for the review. It will keep others from trying to cheap out on this jig. Some times you can cheap out on stuff. Instead of being scolded for trying to save bucks on something you might not use much you should be thanked for saving some of us the hassle.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2352 days

Hey man…..... don’t say you hate to post a bad review on a tool. WE NEED more bad reviews. I’ve noticed that most LJs do post reviews about new equipment and everything is a four or five star review. That’s great, but we need to know more about the bad stuff out there (like bent said…. POS). Thanks for posting!

View Knothead62's profile

Knothead62

Thanks for the review, no matter how bad. We all need to know what is good and what to avoid. Same goes with customer service- who does a good job and who doesn’t. This is sort of our own “Comsumer Report.”

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

I bought the HF jig about two years ago and after two hours of playing with it I heard the garbage truck approaching my house so I pitched it before he came. Waited two months and bought the Leigh. Never regreted the purchase, It will last my lifetime.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View Howie's profile

Howie

I finally got tired of fiddling around with DT jigs and bought an Incra Positioner. Problem solved. I have bought several items (including a G555X bandsaw ) from Grizzley and have no complaints. Did you give them a chance to reconcile the issue?

-- Life is good.