REMOVED

Review by Rick posted 1533 days ago 2647 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
REMOVED No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Gone

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

View Rick's profile

Very good review, Thx

View Greedo's profile

Greedo

nice review, didn’t know this existed.
but how exactly does it work to clean the pad? i wipe mine with turpentine and it removes all the sticky parts, but it seems that after doing that the pad gets full 2 times faster!

View rance's profile

rance

Some stores sell a cheap stick of rubber to clean sanding belts, drums, etc. They make your sandpaper last 50 times longer. You can also use your old(or someone else’s new) tennis shoe.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

112001 posts in 2181 days

thanks Rick

View HighRockWoodworking's profile

HighRockWoodworking

Thanks Rick. Great review!

-- Chris Adkins, http://highrockwoodworking.com/

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 1902 days

Thanks Rick, I’ve had my eye on that product. I use a sanding stick to clean my DP sanding drums. The salesperson at Woodcraft told me they are made out of the same material as Hush Puppy shoe soles.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View Rick's profile

Rick

Thanks Guys: Your Comments are ALWAYS Welcomed and if further Clarification is needed I’m Pleased to do so.

Greedo: I’m not sure what you mean by “pad”. I’ll assume you mean the Sanding Disc. Do NOT wipe it with Turpentine. If you mean the actual CREPE Pad that sits in the base…. same thing. Turpentine will ”Eat” them both!! If you go to the Link at Lee Valley they will tell you everything about how it works and how it should be Cleaned. A CREPE Pad (AS Here) or a CREPE block when applied to a Moving piece of Sand Paper REMOVES the accumulated Imbedded Sanding Debri from the Sand Paper. Crepe can be cleaned, with Soap & Water, then left to dry. LINK To Manufacturers Instructions is HERE

RANCE: You’re right. they do. What you MIGHT be reffering to is MOST LIKELY (Not 100% Sure) a Crepe Block and some Tennis Shoes, in my case Squash Shoes do have Crepe Soles. I just found it to be a pain in the BUTT, putting them on and ”Running” all over my Sanding Stuff!! (Just Kidding). Lee Valley also has the Crepe Blocks. Link is HERE

Cessna: TERRIBLE?? Removes the reason for its existence? Not EVERYONE uses a Hose attached to there ROS. However, I have a Hose attached to mine also.

I made a QUICK little Jig to Solve that Apparent Problem. A piece of 3/4”” Ply, 6”x6” as a base. Then I Attached the Unit to the Wooden Base. Screwed a piece of 1/4” Ply to one side of the Wooden base, about 3” Wide, ran it up to a Height that allowed me to cut a Notch in it (about 2” down, with a rounded bottom) that you Sit the Hose in at a height that sits the sander in Perfectly Level with the Crepe Pad. You can also Attach the Unit as expained at Lee Valley by Screwing it to your Worbench or a Larger Piece of Wood to “Enlarge” the Base and thereby preventing “Tipping”.

Also as mentioned above and on the LINK there is a Small Screw under the Crepe Pad that allows you to Adjust the Amount of “Run On” to a Degree that is suitable for your use.

As for the “Cleaning Aspect”? I stand by what I said above. If Crepe works for your other Sanders why would it NOT work here. My Norton 3x’s Discs last a LOT longer than 10 minutes. I also find that even with my Very Powerfull Vac, it removes only a Portion of the Dust created. The “Imbedded Debri” needs a more “Aggresive” Approach. The Crepe does that. Perhaps that’s the reason your Pads don’t last as long as they should i.e. you’re depending on the Vac to do ALL the cleaning.

The ”Arm” you asked about is also explained on the Lee Valley Page. However…. That is the 6” Base. It’s intended to hold the Handle of a ”Barrel Handled” ROS’s as Shown in the Enlargment of the First Picture Above. The Arm is also Adjustable in Height.

I have the 5” Base and a 5” ROS. I don’t feel it would be appropriate for me to comment on the 6” base and if it does or does not work in a ”Tool Review” as I’ve never used it.

All I can say, once again is that I’ve had mine for 3 YEARS, (Test Of Time) I also bought an Extra Crepe Pad, but am Still Using the Original one, and I’m VERY Pleased with it!! Of course we all have are reasons for Liking or Disliking ANY type of Woodworking Tool.

Rick

PS: I have NO Finacial Ownership in OR Receive any type of Compensation From Lee Valley …LOL…

-- COMMON SENSE Is Like Deodorant. The People Who need It Most, Never Use It.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile