Great blade

Review by thatwoodworkingguy posted 05-20-2010 08:22 AM 2848 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It came time in my shop when I realized my old porter cable blade was cutting it (literally at times!) any longer.
I was going to buy a frued but I could not resist the urge to try out this CMT.
The only complaint I have with this blade is the packaging. The blade is screwed into the case and even when the screw is out you still have to all about break the case to get the blade out. Its NOT easy.
Upon putting in the saw I fired it up right away. Call me cliche but this blade SOUNDS great! It whines off power and almost sings to you. The package says the blade is noise dampening but I have not noticed it being any quieter. But who would want it to be when it sounds the way it does!
My first test cut was on the densest thing I had around. 8/4 purple heart.
This blade PREFORMS! No burning, no fraying of the edge, no nothing. Like a knife through butter. I have been working heavily with this blade all week preparing for this weekends sales and It still cuts like the day I got it.
I would recommend this blade to anyone.
I will continue to use CMT blades from now on and I am also looking into there router bits.
Go get yourself a CMT.

thatwoodworkingguy.com

-- thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

View thatwoodworkingguy's profile

thatwoodworkingguy

#1 posted 05-20-2010 12:00 PM

Thx good review I cut alot of PH for cutting boards Ill have to look into this blade!

View Jim's profile

Jim

142 posts in 2007 days

#2 posted 05-20-2010 03:22 PM

I bought one of these last year to replace my frued that had worn out. I’m with you, it’s a great blade!

-- -- Jim - Kokomo, Indiana

View Mike67's profile

Mike67

96 posts in 2021 days

#3 posted 05-20-2010 04:51 PM

Good to know! The full kerf CMT combo is just as good.

#4 posted 05-20-2010 04:53 PM

Thanks for the Review

View BOB67CAM's profile

BOB67CAM

#5 posted 05-20-2010 05:45 PM

i just got 1 of these for me circular saw to cut some red oak ply at some odd angles..too big for the table saw and the cuts were flawless, ill be grabbing another few of these blades

-- if you dont have it, build it, especially when its a stupid idea

-- thatwoodworkingguy.com ~Eagle America~ ~Woodcraft~

View childress's profile

childress

#7 posted 05-20-2010 09:23 PM

Lowe's sells this blade for $40. I don’t think the quality of the carbide is as good as there orange line blades, but I’ve been very impressed with anything CMT. A definite good buy. I bet if you keep it clean, it will cut good for a long time.

-- Childress Woodworks

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#8 posted 05-21-2010 04:17 AM

I have the thin kerf version of this blade (yes, got mine at Lowe’s) and am not particularly impressed with it. Don’t get me wrong, it is a fine blade, and probably at least worth the ~$45 I paid for it, but I do not see this as being a “final cut” blade. This blade is definitely a step up from the cheap Skill and low end Irwin blades, but it is nothing special in this price range, IMHO (maybe I got a dud, who knows?). The build quality is definitely good (nice carbide, good brazing, etc.) but my particular blade doesn’t seem to be that much better than other blades I have bought at this price point.

The edges of my rip cuts definitely show scoring, though not so deep that it requires more than moderate sanding to clean up, so OK, but not great on that point. Cross cuts are fine but not great, and do show some chip-out in plywood (using a zero clearance insert obviously helps with this and greatly reduces the chip-out, as is true for all blades that I have ever used). The durability of the teeth seems to be fine—it has stayed sharp for me through moderate use—and there seems to be plenty of carbide to allow a few re-sharpenings.

I know this is a general purpose blade, and it has done fine for all of the cuts I have used it for, but it hasn’t really excelled. It’s not that this blade is a dog, but for the money, but it definitely lacks vs. the dedicated rip or crosscut blades that I have used at similar price points.

Just my additional $0.02

-- David from Indiana --

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

161 posts in 2083 days

#9 posted 05-21-2010 05:15 PM

dfdye – are you running stabilizers with your thin kerf blade? Some of your issues might be due to plate flex / deflection.

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1988 days

#10 posted 05-21-2010 11:30 PM

Thanks for the review. I picked one up today for $39.99 @ Lowe’s because of your post. I am looking forward to giving it a try.

View BOB67CAM's profile

BOB67CAM

#11 posted 05-22-2010 06:09 PM

i think i paid about 34 bux, maybe 36, total was under 40 anyways, at lowes

-- if you dont have it, build it, especially when its a stupid idea

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#12 posted 05-24-2010 09:34 PM

mnguy, I am not using stabilizers (I actuality don’t even own one!), but I don’t really think a blade should need stabilizers to work properly. I have used many think kerf blades that have performed just fine without stabilizers, so I will stand by my original observations about the blade: it is pretty good blade and is worth the price I paid, but not really anything special.

Still, you may be (OK, probably ARE) right that a stabilizer would improve the performance of this blade. So, now that we have that out of the way, does anyone have any particular suggestions as to type/brand of stabilizers? Seems like I should go ahead and pick one up.

-- David from Indiana --

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5512 posts in 2060 days

#13 posted 04-11-2011 11:18 AM

The blade shown is a 50T ATB/R thin kerf model P10050 from the CMT ITK Plus line that’s sold at Lowes, the blade mentioned in the title is a 40T ATB full kerf model 213.040.10 CMT Orange line. Two different lines, two different blades, and different kerf widths. Which blade is reviewed?