Lie-Nielsen Shoulder Plane

Review by HighRockWoodworking posted 1535 days ago 4963 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lie-Nielsen Shoulder Plane Lie-Nielsen Shoulder Plane No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Lie Nielsen Shoulder Plane
Some tools are just hard to write a review about because there is just not much you can say negatively about them, that is the way it is with the Lie-Nielsen Shoulder Plane. Many might think that a shoulder plane in not a necessity in the shop but I have to say I use mine all the time.

The most common use for myself is trimming tenons. With the blade set flush with the outside edge I can clean out right to the shoulder. The plane also excels at cleaning out dados and rabbits. I have even used my small shoulder plane which is 5/8” to make a dado on a small board when I don’t want to get the dado blade out. For a 3/4” dado just use your table saw to cut the outside shoulders and clean out the middle with the shoulder plane.

Like any Lie-Nielsen the plane is ready to use right out of the box. I tried mine out as soon as I could hit the shop and with only minor adjustments had some great shavings. After spending a few moments honing I just couldn’t ask for better.

I highly recommend the Lie-Nielsen Shoulder Plane.

Chris Adkins

Stop by my site and leave a comment for a chance to win a 1/2” Wood Slicer blade courtesy of Highland Woodworking.

View PCM's profile

PCM

In my experience, LN makes superb planes and tools. Sometimes they seem pricely, but after using them there are no regrets.

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

I have the same large shoulder plane and I like to think of it as my most precise plane. It is so accurate and sharp like a scalpel.

I own a couple of Lie Nielsen tools and in my experience the low angle block and low angle jack plane along with these shoulder planes are the most effective planes lie nielsen makes. I am not too fond of the traditional LN bench planes, but that just may be my short experience showing.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thankĀ“s for the rewiew
and yes the make some lovely planes
but way out of my budget at the moment

Dennis

View johnjoiner's profile

johnjoiner

Nice review, Chris.

Though I recommend you keep your sharp tools a safe distance from all of your tendons! I’m sure this plane does a nice job on the tenons. ;)

-- johnjoiner

HighRockWoodworking

lol… I just realized I did that. Do you think I could teach my spell check to pick up the difference in anatomy and woodworking??

112002 posts in 2183 days

I don’t remember a LN review with less than 5 stars thanks for the review.

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

I sprung for the medium shoulder plane a couple of years ago, and haven’t regretted it once. I’ve found all kinds of uses for it, and it’s just plain beautiful to touch & look at!

-- Gene T

HighRockWoodworking

Yea it’s kinda like tool art….

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 1947 days

Nice review. Did you consider the LV shoulder plane? To me it just looks more ergonomic and still retains the traditional shouler plane look. I feel like I would drop the LN version on the floor because of the way you have to pinch it to hold it.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

I’ve got several of the Lee Valley (Veritas) shoulder planes. I use them on shoulders, tenons, and rabbets cut with fillester planes. The LV planes all come ready to use out of the box too though a few quick passes with a fine stone and strop are worth while. I think most people would be happy with the quality of both LN and LV tools.

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

View jjempson's profile

jjempson

i shall just keep dreaming…...:)

-- jjempson

View skidooman93's profile

skidooman93

I own both the Veritas medium and the LN small 5/8” I have had the LN for a little over a month now and just used it extensivly on the mission king bed I am finishing. I prefer the LN over the LV because of the way you hold it and its size. The 5/8” size seems to balance on shoulders better and I dont have the knob in my palm. I have had the LV for about 2 years and will still use it for 3/4 dado clean up and really large shoulders. But the LN will get the majority of the work because only one hand is needed and it is more comfortable. If you do a lot with mortise and tendons I strongly recommend the LN small.