Balance, precision, handling, control... Sounds like a sports car? It's a chisel!

Review by Tom Adamski posted 2375 days ago 5702 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Balance, precision, handling, control...  Sounds like a sports car? It's a chisel! Balance, precision, handling, control...  Sounds like a sports car? It's a chisel! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, not just any chisel, a Lie-Nielson bevel edge socket chisel!
Looking through the offerings at my local Woodcraft one evening, I spotted a beautiful set of chisels in a leather roll. Asking the salesman to open the case, I had a closer inspection. The feel was perfect, no uncomfortable bandings and they balance so well. The roll had 5 chisels in the set, with the smallest being 1/8”. Considering I do a considerable about of 1/8” inlay, I really liked these. I was taken aback when the salesman mentioned the price. At $250 for the set of 5, including the leather roll, I thought it a bit high and decided to look at some of the other chisel offerings.
I looked at Japanese, Sorby, Pfiel and others, most were less expensive and most offered more chisels in their sets. Yet, the Lie-Nielson’s where in my mind and I could not see myself buying the others and be as happy. Then, the salesman said it… “Tom, buy them and use them. If you hate them, I’ll take them back”. What could I say? Now a few months later, I have used them from chopping dovetails, paring end grain, inlay work, etc… And I love them. No regrets.

Buy the way, All 5 of the chisels were dead flat and razor sharp when I brought them home. I have only had to hone once in the last few months to keep that cryogenicaly treated blade razor sharp.

Since then I have purchased a Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth low angle block plane and have been very pleased with it too, but that will have to be another review at another time.

Tom,

I am sure this is a great set of chisels. Lie-Nielsen only manufacturers and markets superior tools that are well worth every dime that they cost.

Thanks for the post.

View FrankA's profile

FrankA

These will have to go on my maybe someday list. The only problem that it is a long list and a big MAYBE!!

-- Frank Auge---Nichols NY----"My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, but it is price competitive."

View mjlauro's profile

mjlauro

The LN tools are by far the nicest I have ever used. I don’t own these chisels yet and I stress yet. But I have 3 planes and a spokeshave and they are just the most enjoyable part of my shop time.

View trifern's profile

trifern

Thanks for the review Tom. These are on my list.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

It’s a shame – the nice tools always cost the most – but generally speaking are worth it.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

I have these chisels as well, and I second everything Tom said. They are scary sharp right out of the box and I have had very little touch up work to do to the edges in the last few months since I bought them. The block plane is on my list next. My local Woodcraft has a March madness sale this weekend and I think that LN block plane may just be mine at 15% off!

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at www.renaissancewoodworker.com

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks for the review. I have a L-N block plane that is one of my favorite tools.

View Sir_Robert's profile

Sir_Robert

Nice review, Tom. You are in excellent company: I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad review about a Lie-Nielsen tool!
By the way—I noticed a faux pas in your photo that you’ll want to correct. Take advice from an old decoy carver: Always store your chisels handle first inside the leather pouch. Otherwise, you’ll poke holes through the leather and ruin it.

-- Sir Robert

Tom Adamski

Thank you all for the reply… I truly enjoy using them. These are one of my few guilty pleasures.
Sir Robert, thanks for the tip… not seen in the picture are cover tips provided by LN and with them being socket style chisels; if I put them in handle first, sometimes the handles come out inside the pocket…

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Thanks for the post these chisels are on my “hopefully” list now

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

Great looking chisels. Thanks for the review.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Tom,

It’s been a few months since you posted this review; How are they holding up?

Chris,
They have been everything I had hoped for. With the exception of one quick honing, they kept their razor sharp edge even afer several projects with jatoba, panga panga and hard maple. Unlike some of the tools that we thought we had to have, that are now sitting on a shelf; these are earning their keep. I know the price tag is a bit steep, but they are high quality and are most likley the last set you’ll need to buy.

Tom

Buy the best tools you can afford and you’ll only cry once!

View tomakazi's profile

tomakazi

645 posts in 1917 days

#14 posted 1916 days ago

I have these chisels and I can’t say enough about them. I was able to buy mine one at a time so it didn’t hurt too bad.

-- I didn't go to college, I was too busy learning stuff - Ted Nugent